1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KPJ isn't a winner.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatboyPhuong, Dec 31, 2022.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I find myself agreeing with @Bobbythegreat

KPJ is probably our best player . I'd argue for Tate but we've been holding him out out of fear.of winning too much

Kpj can play defense and he's a good shooter. He's got good shiftyness and is a willing passer .

He's 22 or 23 . He hasn't figured everything good out and he's not ready to lead a team

But idk how people think green ... or really any guard we have is better (except tate )

Ty ty has promise . But he will need to show it

Green... that kid needs to grow a lot over the rest of the season and next year

KPJ you can see the end of the tunnel

Plowman, DaDakota and PatBev like this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

KPJ and Green have similar assists per time of possession ratios

KPJ has never had a season that exceed Green's rookie year in scoring efficiency.

And can you provide data on KPJ being the best defender?

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The only things I'll disagree with is that I'm not sure KPJ is our best player right now. Best guard? There a pretty airtight case there, but best overall? That actually might be Sengun.... though his fans are godawful and there are shortcomings in his game that may not be able to be fixed that could harm his upside.

I flat out disagree when it comes to Tate, I think he's a fringe NBA hustle player that is already 27. He'll be back in the lineup soon and I hope he proves me wrong but I just don't see it with him.

4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Probably not

I love data

In this case I think it isn't going to be useful. Are other teams even trying hard against us ?

Kpj is a better defender . Eye test only

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

We have the worst record in the NBA.

KPJ is no. 11 in the entire NBA in time of possession of the ball per game.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/touches?dir=D&sort=TIME_OF_POSS

He has the ball significantly longer per game than Lebron James, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Stephen Curry, Donovan Mitchell, Devin Booker, Nikola Jokic, Kevin Durant, Joel Embiid to name just a few.

Whoever has the ball most and what they do with it determines whether you win or lose in the NBA.

The KPJ experiment is an absolute failure. He needs to go.

Only then can we properly evaluate Jalen Green. But he needs to make more progress.

ThatboyPhuong, pippendagimp and King1 like this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Are we talking about the best defensive guard or the best defender on the team? There's no case for KPJ being the best defender on the team, he's not even a good overall defender, it's just that there are no good defensive guards on the team.....and most of the others are REALLY bad.

It's kind of like how KPJ can be the most efficient scoring guard among the 3 starting guards on the team with only a 54.8 TS%. It's not that his TS% is all that good, it's that the others are worse.

harold bingo likes this.
  7. fchowd0311

Green and KPJ are seperated by less than 1% on ts and KPJ is two years ahead of Green in development.

Again, KPJ never even had a single season of scoring efficiency higher than Green as a rookie last year.

And news flash, Green being in his second year not even half way done with the season and KPJ being in his fourth year means that one of those guys is more likely to improve naturally from just playing more NBA games and more practice through the second half of this season.

Like between the two, who is more likely to show more rapid growth mid season? The guy who is in the middle of his 4th season or the guy in the middle of his second season?

ThatboyPhuong likes this.
  8. weopeo9744

weopeo9744 Member

He’s six man material.

Best senario

PG: James Harden (Scoot Henderson)
    SG: Jalen Green
    SF: KJ (Tate)
    PF: Jabari
    C: Alp (Wemban)
    Six: KPJ
    Coach: Quin Snyder

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

KPJ is the best player on the Rockets right now.

DD

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

lol
    lol
    lol

Little Bit, ThatboyPhuong and King1 like this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So "separated by less than 1%" is your way of saying, "Yes, Jalen Green's TS% is worse", agreed, he's been struggling a lot this season.

If you look at their last 20 games, the separation is considerably larger. Green's TS% in his last 20 games is 53.4 to KPJ's 57.4 meaning Jalen is trending worse while kPJ is trending better.

Between the two of them, KPJ has a much more developed game already, so of course Jalen Green has the most room for improvement. They are a year and a half apart in age, so that's to be expected to some extent....but you can't just excuse poor performance by Green AND attempt to downplay improved performance by KPJ by bringing up the year and a half age difference.

Jalen's performance recently is concerning, it doesn't mean he won't turn things around like he did last season, but I think a lot of people were expecting more from him....and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. If he continues to be one of the worst defensive players in the league while scoring so inefficiently, he should receive criticism for it.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  12. fchowd0311

No one outside of really odd posters here things Green's development is concerning unless you expect a Luka type jump for a second year 20 year old guard.

And a year and half age difference isn't the relevant part.

2 additional seasons of NBA training and conditioning is a massive amounts of difference between 20 and 22 year old players.

If we were discussing the difference between a 28 and 30 year old, ya, it's trivial for that age group

But the amount of difference in training experience is massive between a 2nd year 20 year old and a 4th year 22 year old.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  13. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

These type threads will continue to pop up because the Rockets are losing, so people have to blame somebody. If not the coach, then a player!

I didn't see the game last night but from what I am seeing KPJ is our most consistent player. He is surrounded by other good you players who are highly inconsistent and since the ball is in his hands the most, naturally fans are going to look at him as the cause.

groovemachine likes this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The first 2 years of KPJ's career were a setback due to being in a toxic situation in Cleveland, mostly his fault, but partially their fault too....that actively harmed his development. So that's not the winning argument you think it is. If Jalen Green had been dicked around like that in his first two seasons, you'd probably have to be put on a watchlist.

KPJ has logged 1700 minutes in the NBA more than Jalen Green and his game is considerably further ahead as of right now.

You just keep making excuses every time Jalen Green faces even the slightest bit of criticism for his performance. I'm not sure why you pull this white knight shtick, but if you aren't related to him, it's weird.

When you say that no one is concerned about his development, that's an indictment of those made up people, not a defense of Green's performance. This season his efficiency has gone down, his overall 3 point percentage has gotten even worse, and he's still one of the absolute worst defensive players in the entire league.....how would that not be concerning if you are the type who thinks he's a "budding superstar"?

Oh, I know, it's everyone else's fault. Jalen is actually perfect, other people just drag him down.

15. fchowd0311

No matter how much you deflect if both players had the same exact rookie contract situation, 30/30 NBA GMs would chose Green over KPJ.

And the fact that you know this and probably won't even disagree with that fact shows how delusional you are.

KPJ had a rather clean rookie year with no incidents and still had a worse scoring efficiency on less attempts than Jalen Green his rookie year with a worse assist to turnover ratio.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

SMH, okay, let's just see if we can find common ground here.

Which player has performed better this season, KPJ or Jalen Green?

Don't make excuses, just answer the question. I think the answer will determine if there's any point in continuing this. I need to see if you are capable of honest conversation.

17. fchowd0311

I need to see your baseline sanity also. And I asked first so it's fair if you answer first.

Assuming both players are in the same stage of their contracts so we eliminate money from the situation, how many GMs would chose KPJ over Green?

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think most would still be concerned with KPJ's past incidents, so the answer really has nothing at all to do with basketball. That one factor alone would make them pick Green over KPJ.

If that was taken out of the equation, and the choice was made based on basketball reasons and what we've seen on the court the past 2 years, I think it would be close, but most would lean KPJ due to his more well rounded set of skills.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Did coaches really try to force players like J Crawford and Lou Will into these roles?

fchowd0311 likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

Okay so you are insane. Go ask some non Rocket forum. Ask neutral analysts. See what answers you get.