1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

dream at all costs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by chievous minniefield, Jul 21, 2001.

1. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I'm curious to know who else, besides myself, believes that the rockets should make any offer, no matter how high, to sign hakeem through the end of his career, even if it means losing maurice taylor.

[assuming there is an offer we could make that he would accept, which is looking less and less likely]

[also assuming that we can resign mooch, bull and anderson no matter what we give hakeem because of their bird rights]

------------------
    houston rockets = 2
    utah jazz = 0

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I'd pay him the veteran's minimum and not a penny less!

------------------

3. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Not at any costs but as much as we can and still keep Mo and Mooch. It ain't my money.

------------------

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Speaking of Scottie, I'm surprised Dream hasn't contacted Paul (Allen). Paul could probably sign him to the exception for a few years, and then when Dream's bird rights kick in, Dream could cash in one of them multi-year $123M contracts. Damn that would add some nice hot revenue to the books of Olajuwon Holdings, Inc. And the beautiful thing is that only 9 1/2 yrs after Dream's final contract runs out, he would be eligible to start taking monthly withdrawals from his NBA retirement accruals. He really needs to re-evaluate this whole Pacer/Raptor thing. I mean Fegan should know that the big boys are Allen, Cuban, Devos, Cablevision, etc. Hakeem needs to be after the 9 digits and nothing less.

------------------

6. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

There is no way I would sign Dream at any cost . . . he is not bigger than the franchise . . .

That's why it's called the "Houston Rockets", not the "Hakeem Olajuwons".

------------------
    I'm looking for a job, so hire me

"And I just have to smile and say 'well, I hope so' while I'm really thinking inside how I'd like to just strangle them and take their job."

7. SlamN

SlamN Member

The Rockets need to re-sign Mo Taylor, Moochie, and another guard (Anderson ?) first. Whatever is leftover in capspace should be given in addition to the $4.1-4.5 million they are currently offering. Hopefully, its a one year contract not 2+ years.

------------------

8. themugg

themugg Member

I have to agree.

------------------
    TheMugg

9. SixthMan

SixthMan Member

It seems hakeem's delay has been paying off.
    I'm thinking he'll stay with the rockets for 11 mil over 2 years, the first being 4.5 mil.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but has hakeem ever held out for more money over his career? I don't believe he was ever the top paid player or even the top paid center in the league. Wasn't he the best center over those years?

I think he more than desrves 11 mil over two years.

------------------

10. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

Dream at all costs?

NOPE

Lincoln, after being praised for the succinctness and brevity of the Gettysburg Address, " it would have been shorter had I more time to prepare."

11. BahDakota

BahDakota Member

The Dream is over...time to wake up and smell the coffee.

------------------
    How long do I have to endure this ?

12. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Never in public, but according to what I heard a couple years ago, in his early years, there were nights when it was a struggle to get him on the floor because he would demand a raise half an hour before the game started.

------------------
    How the hell should I know why God would allow the Holocaust. I don't even know how the electric can opener works. - from Hannah and Her Sisters

[This message has been edited by Jeff (edited July 21, 2001).]

13. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member