1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green for LaMelo Ball - would ya?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Dec 28, 2022.

?

Would you trade J. Green for L. Ball?

Poll closed Jan 11, 2023.
  1. Yes

73 vote(s)
    25.5%
  2. No

213 vote(s)
    74.5%
  1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

If Jalen Green does become a superstar can we make a GARM rule that posters who complete eliminate the possibility of Green becoming one to never praise him or bring him up if he reaches that level so they can't enjoy his rise here?

I feel like they won't deserve it.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Is there anyone who has actually done that? Like anyone at all?

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I feel like if you knew he would become a superstar, you would want to share it with others instead of becoming petty.

He is a celebrity thus a public figure.

But you could get bragging rights.

4. fchowd0311

Oh there are a couple of posters where I'll be petty for if Green breaks through as a superstar

5. ikedog34

ikedog34 Member

I guess I don't watch enough LaMelo and his dad probably just left a terrible taste for the family but I'd keep Green. I do think he has a chance to be the best player at his position. I don't think Ball has that.

I watch Jalen and I see a highly inefficient player, but one who is figuring out different things that he can do. I think we all want him to pull up for a mid range step back 10 times a game like he figured out towards the end of last year, but he has a few more moves finishing at the rim you can tell he's worked hard on. His tough shot making ability really is breath taking- even if we'd rather see him make the easier play.

Eventually he'll have comfort in all of those natural abilities he has and decision making will come more naturally. I think he'll be one of the most dangerous scorers in the league once that happens.

I think us as fans are really just thirsty thirsty for a decent point guard.

6. acheung

acheung Member

If we got number 1 pick and charlotte got number 2, I would trade JGreen for Scoot Henderson, move kpj to the 2. No way charlotte trades ball for green straight up.
    Starting line up of scoot, kpj, smith, sengun and wemby

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Why would Charlotte take that deal though?

8. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Reading all this love for the greatness of LaMelo is really making me excited to see him in the playoffs this year. His team is surely playing out of their mind and his plus/minus has to be astounding right?

How many more wins do they have than the Rockets - 20? 15? 10?

9. acheung

acheung Member

They have Ball at point, scoot is the clear number 2 pick, JGreen would fit with Ball. They could draft scoot also but then they would have 2 point guards.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah, that makes sense, I guess I misread it.

11. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

Agreed. I think Lamelo is the kind of player you find a way to pair with Green, not get in a trade for Green.

12. wekko368

wekko368 Member

A player like Green is a lot easier to replace than a player like Lamelo.

Bobbythegreat and Lloyd Estacio like this.
  13. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Unfortunately, most of the Hornets roster is pretty bad.

14. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

We should get rid of kpj first, Green is on a rookie contract with potential to grow.

Pairing lamelo and green sounds a lot better than kpj + lamelo. Too many factors to consider, is kpj gonna step down to a superior playmaker, is kpj willing to go back to his old position, etc, etc.

We got Green tanking our ass off, kpj we got him for a 2nd round pick. Asset wise it best to see what Green is made up off instead of giving up on him in a year and a half.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It all depends on your base assumptions. If you are going based on the player we have seen thus far, you're absolutely right. If you're going on the assumption that one day he'll magically become the next MJ... which is the assumption most Jalen Green superfans are going on, then you're wrong. The magical "next MJ" Jalen Green is impossible to replace.

wekko368 likes this.
  16. fchowd0311

If outside neutral fans saw those conversations they would be extremely perplexed. "what they already talking about reading Green? Wtf?".

17. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Do you understand the premise of this thread?

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  18. fchowd0311

I don't even get the premise. Why even ask it?

Just to make Rocket fans feel down that a single player drafted a year before is better currently?

Like it's absurd you people lack so much self awareness.

Of course your rhetoric is going to be met with lash back on a Rocket forum.

Non Rocket fans would even wonder why fans are even talking about trade scenarios with Green.

19. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Ya a kpj fanboi wanted to get rid of green for lamelo to slot kpj back into his original position.

Painting it as asset management or what's best for the team. In reality is just his way of admitting the kpj pg experiment fail and getting rid of green is one way to fix that.

Folks like to paint sengun fans as illogical, kpj fans r more extreme. Imagine wanting to get rid of a young talent just to make life easier for a reclaimination project we picked up for a 2nd round pick.

J.R. and fchowd0311 like this.
  20. fchowd0311

With Green you got multiple attack angles. SOFs are probably the most friendly to Green compared to the other groups I'll mention below primarily because out of all our guards Green looks for Sengun the most.

There are the KPJ die hards.

And then there are the Mobley stans.

I don't remember if you recall before the draft two years ago there was a very hard and dedicate Mobley following here and many of those posters are the most vocal about Green "not being it" today.