1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The picks that we owe OKC and tanking incentive

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Dec 28, 2022.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I shudder at the last sentence..make us happy.

I'd be damned if my life happiness is depending on a record in the NBA.

To each one his own but I would be relatively glad if the Rockets had a better winning record for sure.

Good lord, I guess, I am lucky that I am only a moderate fan.

2. dmoneybangbang

Agreed. Hopefully we don’t blow our wad in free agency and trades in the off-season. Wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world to improve on the margins and compete for a play in for next season.

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I wonder if in the future, there will come a team that doesn't have a top 5 player, but instead has 5 or 6 top 30 players that wins it all?

Nook likes this.
  4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

No. Just no.

If we still “need” to tank for a super small chance of acquiring a young talent in the draft who might or might not be an NBA player (see Anthony Bennett, Darko, etc.) in 5 years then that means Stone and the coaches have failed miserably with selection and development of Jalen, Jabari, Sengun, and our 2023 top pick.

If we still have to go back to the well after next season then Stone should be fired because he sucks at drafting high in the draft and has wasted 3 top 5 picks.

Jalen and Jabari should be ready to compete after this season. Really they should start showing promise for next season after the all star break. If we see what we should see by May then job #1 is seeking out through trade and free agency players that make Jalen and Jabari better and more efficient.

fchowd0311 and Corrosion like this.
  5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

6. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Yeah but the problem is when you land #2 and have Henderson starting, Lonzo playing backup at a premium price missing a year and a half of ball.

Gambling on free agency/trade before this draft further complicates our roster crunch if it doesn't play out exactly right. That's kind of why I'm in the "waive Gordon" boat now. Just get rid of his contract and don't take any deadweight back. We don't need more picks. We need 1 or 2, a free agent that bookends either pick and hopefully a shrewd trade or MLE type signing at the 3.

theDude likes this.
  7. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Luka got that cockeyed look on his face.

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

[​IMG]

Well, Tank Command ought to be pretty pleased about now.
    I mean, we are now on a pace for 23 wins. That might get us a #1 or #2 :)

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  9. JD88

JD88 Member

Can we not trade the pick and let someone else gamble with it?

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don't think I'm watching anything you haven't seen. There are lots of teams who made noise in the playoffs early, could be any one of them.

I think you probably think we don't have a comparable ceiling or best player as those teams, so in the end we're going to subjectively disagree about that. No point getting into endless comparisons only to end up there. Suffice to say, I have a much more favorable view of our roster than most.

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'm kinda between you two on where I think they are in terms of current talent and again in expectations for next season ..... I'm not expecting miracles but I do expect significant improvement from within.

The bigger jump really depends upon what they do with their cap space. If they get that right, they could be anywhere from 42-52 wins when you combine the outside additions with internal growth.

Punt on those outside additions or blow it and maybe you are a 35 win team which would be a disappointment to me .... anything short of .500 is a disappointment next year.

cml750, Dobbizzle, joshuaao and 2 others like this.
  12. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Agreed with you up until your expectations, you've got way higher expectations than I do. For me the disappointment would be another sub 25 win season, I'd be pretty pleased with something in the low/mid 30s. I think it would take a miracle for the rockets to get to .500 or higher.

Corrosion likes this.
  13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

To be clear, I'm talking about next year and it's really contingent upon what they acquire from FA / trade.

Nothing and it's 35 wins, hit it out of the park and it's possible they are a 50 win team.

This year, my expectations are much lower .... I'd prefer they didn't win 25.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  14. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Oh yeah, just re-read my post and it wasn't clear, but I'm talking about next year too.

15. dmoneybangbang

I always put the end of the bottoming out part of the rebuild around the OKC trade, pretty sure you have too. Where we differ is what is an acceptable outcome for the end of next season or the year after our bottoming out phase is over.

I wouldn't put a 35 win season in the disappointment column unless we really went for it and blew our cap space and some trade assets. There's just not a great FA class this coming offseason, so I feel like our best shot at improving (outside of player development) is through a trade.

I'd rather keep as much of our powder dry and improve on the margins (sign some veteran role players and rely on player development) if there's no big fish out there via trade or FA. Depending on the season, 35 wins might give you a shot at the play-in tournament.

Corrosion and jiggyfly like this.
  16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Imagine if Jalen makes the same type of first to second half jump like his rookie year. That would propel him to stardom if his baseline is 22 on 54%ts 4 apg compared to whatever atrocious numbers he put up in the first half of last season.

But obviously I'm not expecting that. It is a possibility but it's also setting myself up for failure if he makes a similar type of mid season jump.

dobro1229 likes this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What teams have popped early?

Because I have not seen any?

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Who is a pass 1st pg who fits all of this.

Can you name 3 currently playing in the NBA?

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I can see why this spoke to you.

You have the brain of a Lobster.

20. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

OKC and Memphis are the first 2 that come to mind. If you consider Memphis early. It would be nice if we popped early, but I'm skeptical as I'm guessing that you are too.