1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. roslolian

roslolian Member

It is just due to his soft mentality but he is fixing that and improving as the season goes on. He aint a stiff lol he cant keep up with guards on the perimeter so he is quick enough and I dunno how high is vertical is but at 6'10 he doesnt need to jump very high to get to the rim.

You dont need to be super athletic to finish at the rim if you are taller than 6'8. Look at guys like CWood, Al Horford, Suns Center, not exactly jumping out of the gym but elite rim finishers nonetheless.

#4281 roslolian, Dec 27, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2022
  2. roslolian

roslolian Member

I honestly dont see the KG comparisons. KG is a mid range guy more thsn anything Jabari is a 3 pt shooter and plays on the perimeter. KG was never known as a post guy IIRC. Their builds are also very diff KG was very thin and lean almost like a pogo stick Jabari is thin rn but you can see he has big bones. His very real comparison imo is 27 yr old Al Horford when he started shooting 3s.

On defense Jabari is also very similar to Horford. He is someone who can do switch defense and also guard the other team's best defender like PJ Tucker. But I dont see him anchoring an entire defense like what KG did for the Celts. For one thing KG just seems more athletic than Jabari can ever be, KG could bounce across the court and swat everything the opponent throws up, I see Jabari more as a positional defender than all around block threat.

Icehouse, Dobbizzle and cmlmel77 like this.
  3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

KG was a nasty post-player in Minny, especially when Kevin McHale was around. An absolutely filthy post-game. He had the rare ability to shoot over either shoulder and then he added the step-throughs McHale was famous for.

#4283 RudyTBag, Dec 27, 2022
    javal_lon and joshuaao like this.
  4. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

KG was also the best player in the league at one point. With prime Duncan, Kobe, Shaq and co running around.

Clearly people only remember the old past his prime Garnett, which would still be a win if Jabari reaches that level.

Edit. Jabari also has that same Yao issue where they should go up strong and try to jam it instead doing a cute little shot. Maybe it’s more of a physical limitation. The Big Ticket never had that issue.

#4284 YaoMac09, Dec 27, 2022
    Zen Tabak likes this.
  5. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

I started noticing the pass game between sengun and smith devolving really good during the beginning of that mavs game .. are they still having that connection with those passes(I missed the bulls game) I think that’s the start of a winning formula

6. xaos

xaos Member

Big fan of Jabari Smith, but he's nothing like KG.

7. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

I think smith could have the ability closer to a Paul George if he could just develop his handles better ! But hey is soo young ! The sky is the limit for him if he keeps putting in the work
    Edit.. actually I need to see Paul George rookie highlights first before saying him

#4287 HTownTmac1, Dec 27, 2022
  8. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Are we still okay with Jabari getting zero plays run for him? The entirety of his offensive stats consist of offensive rebound putbacks and times when he catches the ball in the middle when we’re swinging the ball to the other side and he just says, “screw this”, and launches it from deep or does a couple step dribble drive before a pull-up long two.

I mean, it’s about as good a job as you can do to suppress his box score. And still he shows out.

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Jabari is a LaMarcus Aldridge with more agility.

mightybosstone likes this.
  10. MystikArkitect

More agility, better defense, better shooter, more aggressive.

cheke64, GotGame15 and randerson like this.
  11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I don't get the back and forth here. Even if he turns out to be a 6'10 Ariza with a much better shot, that is still a star player. Regardless of whether he becomes the next tall Ariza or the next Dirk, his basement is still going to be at minimum an integral super duper role player for a championship contender.

Dobbizzle, MarioKissoDeath and xaos like this.
  12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ok so you think him being 6 months younger is the reason he is less developed?

What's your point?

There is no guarantee that he will ever have the body of banchero or the overall skill set and being 6 months younger does not mean anything if they are 30, or they are rookies you are just really reaching here.

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So Smith is the only rookie who can get better during the year?

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It's amazing how ignorant you are about Garnetts overall game.

The fact that you think Smith is already a far better defender shows your supreme ignorance, Garnett is a HOF type of guy yet you in here trying to pump up a rookie over him.

red5rocket likes this.
  16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

KG was more developed physically coming out of HS than Smith is currently and looked more "big boned" than Smith ya'll need to stop.

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yes you are.

Believe It! likes this.
  18. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

LOL

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

We’ve gotta start using jabari better

Richie_Rich and Slim like this.
  20. JD88

JD88 Member

There's is a high degree of probability that two years in the league under the supervision of a professional training staff, he can be about as athletic as he wants to be.