1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2022.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Unlike you, I’ve actually watched every game Young has played, multiple times.
    I’m very familiar with his game. I like Young, but his production doesn’t mean it will translate.
    There are tons of guys that put up huge numbers in college that haven’t translated to the pros. Production isn’t actually an indicator of success, there has to be physical ability, mental ability and experience.
    Young has those, still doesn’t mean it will translate. He could very well be the next Baker Mayfield, Tua first two seasons, or any other Heisman winner that flamed out.

2. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Which is why a short/small qb who’s BEST ATTRIBUTE is processing and making reads. It’s more important than being 6’4” guys I promise…

cbass, Omihall23, Rudyc281 and 2 others like this.
  3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t disagree with this at all. But…..he still hasn’t done it in the pros, he’s going to have less talent around him and he’s smaller than almost every other QB ever.
    Before Tua hurt his hip he was Young.

raining threes likes this.
  4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

And Levis will all of sudden be good? Gabbert, Locker, Bortles, Wilson, etc are all the same. Prototypical size, good arms, and production very similar to Levis. All bust. There average production in college translated to below average in the NFL.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  5. Fantasma Negro

I've never seen this dude play, is he any good?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’m not saying Levis will be good or not, but you’re acting like he hasn’t had some really good games against elite competition. There’s a reason he’s a first rounder and not just a project.
    And I suggest you look at the numbers of some of those guys you mentioned. Wilson had elite numbers his last season, Bortles had some really good numbers.
    The weird thing is you keep comparing Levis to these prototype guys that have busted who happen to be white, but none of the black prototypes that have busted too.

Also. Levis has far more than a “good” arm. He has an upper tier elite arm. Along with good to great athleticism and size. No need to minimize to fit your narrative.
    Theres literally nothing physically that Young can do better than Levis. That’s not a knock on Young, he’s still a solid athlete. Young is far more advanced mentally as a QB, but we will see. Scouts have already came out enamored with Levis whiteboard ability

7. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

No. NFL backup at best.

primtim24 likes this.
  8. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Not at all. System qb but a decent athlete, average arm

Fantasma Negro and cmoak1982 like this.
  9. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Good enough to hold the clipboard

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  10. orosiriley

orosiriley Member

Please draft defense or trade down for more picks. We have so many holes to fill and there are better QBs in next years draft. Indianapolis would love to trade up for B. Young.

11. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

So the plan is to hand a potential franchise qb to a division rival just for the low percentage chance to pick a qb next year who may or may not be better than Bryce Young? This sounds like a great way to get fired if you’re a GM. You’re asking him to gamble not once, but twice. The odds are significantly against him in that scenario and it’s just not a smart way to run anything in life.

cbass, primtim24, whag00 and 4 others like this.
  12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

The size of the gamble really is variable based on the return. What if Indy would give you both of their first round picks this year and a first next year? If the Texans believe Young is going to be a bust or just an average QB then you accelerate your re-build. Personally I want to keep our pick and get Anderson. If someone wants to trade up for the Cleveland pick and give value that works for me. I don’t think there is a franchise QB in this draft, but I’m no expert.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  13. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Trading the pick to the Colts for them to take Bryce is borderline insane... Jax already has Trevor... You trying to gift wrap the division for Indy and Jax the next 10 years I see.. smh

14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You have no assurance of getting a top QB next season. Bird in the hand, worth more than 2 in a bush.

Commodore, whag00 and conquistador#11 like this.
  15. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Then you take the picks. However, I doubt they do that.

16. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

17. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Texans currently have picks 1 & 10

Rudyc281 likes this.
  18. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Bryce Young, Quentin Johnson, front 7 pick 32

Could win the division next year with FA also dedicated to defense.

19. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

This.

The Texans will be playing a last place schedule and 4 games against the Colts and Titans. They catch a few breaks they didn’t catch this season and all of a sudden the Texans are a 6 or 7 win team.

If a qb they like is there at 1 or 2 they need to go ahead and take him.

20. Newlin

Newlin Member

That stupid tie in week one may really come back to bite the Texans in the ass.

Rudyc281 likes this.