1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I went through a week of hell with my 2nd covid infection. The first one gave me heart inflammation, not sure if it's myocarditis because no one could book a doctor's visit unless it was to an ER. This was an entire year before vax rollout.

I was 8 or so months after the 2nd jab, so there is a "freshness date" on how effective the booster/vax is when you get infected with covid.

Not enthused about masking up either. During the 2nd infection, I know I was infected while eating at a restaurant. It's unavoidable...At some point you're going have to acknowledge the risk of getting it if you want to live normally. So I don't care to mask unless it's store policy.

But if you're at an airport, why the heck not? Maybe masking is a holy cross and garlic to clutch against vampires (MOAR thoughts and MOAR prayers...MOAR BETTER!), but it's just prudent if you're in an environment with a helluva lot of travelers from who knows where. If everyone masked up, then you can at least contain some degree of transmission.

As for kids masking up, I don't think it's fits in the context of covid. But now there's RSV that DOES target that age group and masking CAN reduce transmission rates at a time when childrens ICUs are becoming more limited.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I deleted it, apologized several times (even though no personal details of yours were ever posted - only reason I ever posted it - anonymized - was actually to support you in the argument with @King1 and say you weren't lying). It seriously didn't take expert sleuthing, and wasn't meant as doxxing - last name (which you basically posted), state, party. I saw the argument between you and king1 like 20 times and was like, ok, this would be easy to see who is right.

Not saying it was right to do it, I clearly misjudged and you felt uncomfortable. Hence I deleted it and apologized. Like 5 times.

You said you accepted the apology. At some point, you might consider getting over it.

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Wow, why would anyone flame that guy, Bob Wachter. That's like saying "I hate Houston sports teams and Enos Cabell annoys me, so now... Imma just going to take a random potshot at Moses Malone -- he sucked and didn't know what he was doing!" I mean... really? Take on a legit, bonafide made man, for no real reason?

Just for any observer interested, here's the individual a poster has insulted in this thread: Dr. Robert Wachter, chair of Medicine at the world-renowned medical institute UC San Francisco. They are nip and tuck with Harvard for rankings on the planet, depending on who you ask.

Of course, say whatever you like and disagree with whomever you like. In this case, others need to know Wachter has an incredible in-field reputation. He's been asked thousands of questions about COVID and done his best to answer them. He's tried to offer, if you ask me, thoughtful, grounded, calm advice, sharing what he (a man in his mid-60's) and his wife do week to week, based on the data.

Yeah, more Bob Wachters, please, fewer Alex Joneses, and we'll be just fine.

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I have met Bob and he is a nice guy. But he got tunnel vision, some kind of anxiety disorder. If you think that's "flaming and insulting" him, ok, whatever.

He wrote the book "The Digital Doctor", which, like Eric Topol's "The Patient will see you now" is a great book about the potential of digital health.

But ever since the start of the pandemic, he started posting incessantly and almost exclusively about Covid, Covid, Covid, as if there were no other health issues, diseases, innovations to ever think about.

Much of it has been about his personal (from my point of view, totally over-the-top) Covid avoidance strategies. It comes across as single-mindedly obsessive and fear-driven. He is of course free to do whatever, but I think he over-emphasizes one particular risk (getting Covid) vs. all other life and health risks, and to some degree, that can be harmful to other people's health and mental health, because he has lots of followers.

Just my personal opinion. Again, those people can do whatever they want, I just kind of feel sorry for them if they basically stop living, to some extent, based on an (in my opinion) irrational fear of getting one particular respiratory disease, especially if you already had 5 vaccination doses and already had Covid (in his case).

I have also seen him post things which I consider to be medically false - again, seems fear-driven, some might call it fear-mongering, especially when it comes to presumed risk of long covid in children.

These are my opinions of his public statements (mostly via Twitter). I don't think any of it is "flaming and insulting".

P.S.: The alternative is not Bob Wachter vs. Alex Jones, and you know that very well. Come on now. One can be critical of Bob Wachter's Covid communication without thinking Alex Jones is in any way acceptable.

#14064 AroundTheWorld, Dec 19, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
  5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As stated before. If the vaccines were as dangerous as skeptics claim given they billions have taken it it would be impossible to hide. The last info I saw shows a correlation of about 1 in a million developing severe complications from the vaccines. Developing severe consequences from getting COVID for someone in their 20’s the risk is about 1 in 10,000.

Note this is correlation and not causation. Also all vaccines have a risks. The COVID vaccines have so far shown to be among the least risky ones out there.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can agree with that and do feel the vaccines were oversold. Many of even those who developed them and Fauci himself said there was a danger of the vaccines losing effectiveness and the virus mutating back when they first came out.

For most people it does appear that being vaccinated and boosted does prevent the disease from progressing to severe levels. Masks have many obvious problems especially the basic cloth ones and given that you have to take the. Off to eat and drink not a good solution regarding long distance travel or socializing.

One more point on vaccines. It sounds like most of clutchfans have been vaccinated with many boosted. In both this thread and
    The hangout thread there have been several cases of clutchfans reporting severe COVID and or losing someone feom COVID. Again if the vaccines were as dangerous as COVID itself we would be hearing many clutchfans suffering after being vaccinated.

7. SuraGotMadHops

Had it and felt fine after two days. Basically once I started feeling symptoms (cough, congestion) I got tested and it was positive. After two days the symptoms mostly disappeared, only the cough lingered a little bit for a couple more days after that.

8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I missed the post that was flaming Bob Wachter and can't seem to find it now

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  9. bigben69

bigben69 Member

I got it back in July. Felt bad for a couple days but main initial symptoms went away after that.

I was in the middle of renovating a property and for the next couple weeks I kept randomly getting dizzy and light headed no matter what I did to prepare. I would feel completely fine one second then have to lean against the wall the next. My strength didn't come back for almost a month and my asthma that I had not had since I was 7 or 8 came back. Now everytime I even start to get a cold my asthma is back. The weirdest part is my smell is still messed up. I thought certain things around the house had gone bad but after a while I realized anything that has fake scent added smells rotten.... Lotion, hand soap, dish soap, shampoo, perfume, candles, deodorant.... Also bananas and watermelon both taste bad to me now and I used to love both.

If I had not been doing physical labor or working out then I might not have realized the longer term effects as much. Having to have an inhaler again after 30 years sucks but

Amiga likes this.
  10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

11. Invisible Fan

Myocarditis is also a common symptom of covid. Though I guess you're only semi-unlucky if that's the worst parting experience from it.

I genuinely couldn't find the list of national agencies recommending against MRNA vaccines for people under an age demographic. If anything, those suckers seem to be in limited supply, which would have a similar rationale to Fauci/CDC discouraging people to buy masks before the onset of the epidemic...

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Sorry you're experiencing that. My wife had been having instances of dizziness as well.

As an aside, try taking a big bite of an onion to see if that fixes your smell/ taste issues. It worked for a couple of people I know

#14072 bobrek, Dec 20, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2022
    B-Bob and AroundTheWorld like this.
  13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Couldn’t find anything under 50 like atw claimed. I do remember recommendations against the moderna version (instead use pfizer) for those under 30.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

sorry for what you’re experiencing and thx for sharing

15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Covid in general has a huge communication problem. A part of that is politicization of the whole thing from day 1.

It wasn’t oversold. They were indeed extremely (surprisingly) effective against the early variants.

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

17. Invisible Fan

Yeah, I'm not even on my third jab, though I'll have to get one to visit Japan.

I did do a follow up search and it seems that same agency advised young men under 30 to take pfizer over moderna even though both are MRNA vax.

I'm primarily interested in whether agencies would recommend not getting the initial 2 dosages of any brand (or even 1 dose for J&J) to prime the body against covid in light of the side effects posing a "significant" enough of a risk for any group or demographic. I remember there was a shitshow regard blood clotting with the rollout of Astrazeneca's vax in Europe.

Mainly because vaccination is political and emotionally charged enough to use these cases as reasons not to take any jabs at all, which I consider far more risky for any age group over 18.

18. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Honestly worth a shot. Overall I'm perfectly fine. The smell thing will come back eventually. The asthma is annoying though. I never thought I would be dealing with that ever again. Just crazy that I didn't even get that sick but these things still stayed with me.

19. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Thanks. It could be way worse. More annoying than anything. Crazy that basically came from feeling like I had a cold for a few days.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yeah... she had a 100 degree fever for about 2 hours. Little to no other symptoms. A month or so later, though, she developed a nagging, hacking cough that would flare up at night. That went on for 4 months or so and has mostly abated. The dizziness was bad for a couple of days and now is just minor every so often. Could just be a coincidence.

The only reason she tested for COVID is that her tennis partner's daughter was getting married and didn't want to infect her.