1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lowe on the current Rocket roster

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Dec 7, 2022.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

The fact that I watched many Rockets games. Plus, I can read basic and advanced stats. What kind of a non-sensical question is that.

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Ok that's it, gloves off. You have absolutely no way of proving that lthese people have a greater success rate of predicting things in the NBA and that is the source/initial claim in this entire discussion. If you can sit here and act like they are experts because of a name tag, then stop asking for proof of everything else. You cannot quantify anything you're defending them for. Absolutely nothing.

You are essentially out here saying that they should be respected because they're on TV. I've asked 3 times why any extra respect should be given to these guys and you have nothing to say. Half my family is on TV. I work in Film/TV. It is not truer or more accurate just cause it's on TV or because another person on their channel said it's true. They are on TV because of their personality and nothing more. The internet is littered with analysts who don't have to prove any success, just as on TV people don't have to prove any success other than an occasional "told you so". Being wrong often does not get you off the air. Being boring does get you off the air. That's what you're watching. You seem to think Lowe is the ultra smart one but he's not the ultra smart one, he's the one who's playing the role of the ultra smart one.

Also this is the second time you're assuming you're assuming about me out of thin air: I have several posts in my history about how ridiculous it is for people to believe the media hates Houston. I don't understand what you're doing in your mind there. The sports media is not evil. It doesn't hate Houston. It's just a business trying to make profit. You seem to be butt hurt that I don't respect these these two and I don't get why.

Before you reply, please remember I am questioning your base assumption that these two somehow are better predictors of the future. I disagree with that assumption. Don't @ me until you have something to say about how you can prove your core assumption which all your/my posts are rooted in. How can you prove their knowledge results in anything but average and commonplace projections/predictions?

#62 Mathloom, Dec 7, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
  3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Yeah, he is good at defense even great. Exactly what are you wanting Green to do on defense? PF/C's are 95% leaders of defensive win shares, SF's like 5% of the top 10 year to year. Guards close to 0%.

Then you talk about his usage. I would point out that this likely helps is defense not having to score as much. He was placed on a team with a lot of talent with many of the players hitting or close to the beginning of their prime or right in the middle of it like D Mitchel and Allen.

All I said is it is not clear that Mobley is the easily best player from 2021. I hope next season Green gets a player or two with experience that is 25-26ish and talented. Jabari/Eason/Sengun/Garuba/Christopher a year older as well. We all might be surprised by the results.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Ah cool Kevin Costner is your uncle!

Verbal Christ and Mathloom like this.
  5. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Honestly though I still think Cade is the best player from 2021. Followed by Mobley then probably Green. I like him more than Barnes, Franz and Herb for sure and that means a lot cause I really really like those guys too. My point is that even if I do think Green is just the 3rd best player, it's not necessarily an insult because Cade and Mobley are very very good. Green can still be very very good and less good than them.

Your point kind of illustrates what I was saying in the draft. SG is just the least important position in basketball. If you could give talent a numerical grade and had a C, PG, and SG with the same grade then the other two will always be worth more because the SGs only job is to score which nowadays everyone does anyway.

Also, I just listened to the podcast and Lowe started our whole segment saying he has a rookie crush on Tari. Givony is just being defensive cause he had him lower on his board. What are people mad about?

#65 lakersuck2, Dec 8, 2022
    peleincubus likes this.
  6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I really don’t understand why you guys continue to get so worked up over the national media guy’s comments on the Rockets. We know for a fact they don’t watch half of the Rockets games that we do so why don’t we just trust our own judgement a bit more without needing that validation.

Lowe is the biggest junkie in the media who would probably give the best and most objective take… and I doubt he’s actually seen 70% as much of the rockets as you or I.

The fact is there are 30 teams. These guys don’t watch the bottom half of the leagues games unless they are playing an interesting team. Otherwise they are looking at stats, highlights, and maybe checking in on league pass in the 4th Q.

But yes it is funny that even these guys can pick up on and even in short order validate what we see:

-Too much Nix (really is that the best we can do for a backup PG?)
    -Nix is objectively out of shape
    -why is EG on this team? Adds no value in leading or lagging objectives
    -KPJ is probably not your centerpiece playmaker/PG moving forward
    -Silas has no control over this team on the court

7. RollingWave

RollingWave Member

I'd say most of Lowe's take is right? he's not even super out on KPJ he just sayin that it doesn't look great right now. which I'd say we all agree.

The Nix part of it all is really the most flabbergasting because you can't even really envision what a "good" version of him looks like, unlike say Josh Christopher where at least you can reasonably describe what he does well and how that could potentially turn into a real NBA player, especially since that also contributes to Silas not staggering and starting EG. While the Not run plays a part in hyperbole it is true that they break down a lot and most of the sets quickly devolve into isos and/or just trying to find mismatches and that despite all that the Rockets in the half-court actually score pretty well despite how ugly it looks, which says a lot about their individual talents. (if you take out the Rockets' net transition points, they're actually pretty close to .500 just in terms of half-court +/- )

As for Givony he's more of a draft guy that only looks at the NBA a little bit mostly as a reference to if his previous takes were right or wrong, and I don't think any of his takes were super hot or anything, the "Not using Jabari right " part I'd say most of us agree as well.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Bc it makes people nostalgic for when other people actually cared enough about the Rockets to offer a take.

cmlmel77 and dobro1229 like this.
  9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

If you are talking so far, yes. Jury is still out on who will be the most impactful in years to come. Mobley seems pretty topped out to me.

10. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Meh. Mobley has been pretty stagnant. He may just be what he is, whereas Green has shown improvement in many areas.

11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Lowe started off like some of the other young guys on twitter nowadays as a grassroots podcaster who grew a following and was able to establish a vast network through his podium. DIE HARD CELTICS FAN! Granted he was a communications/journalist guy beforehand which no doubt helps out. Basically he was just another superfan who didnt come up in the sport and liked to talk hoops and used the analytics approach to the the eye test and morphed into having a wide scope of the league, but still allows some of his own bias to seep through his thoughts.

Its always interesting for me to see guys here get so offended when ANOTHER amateur analyst is coming up and questioning the claims of the "professionals". Logic doesnt come with a degree. Autodidacts exist that are supremely talented and gifted that do not take a traditional line to success like Lowe, Simmons or Mike Schmitz. You've talked about ego in some of your past thoughts and eventually it becomes an obstacle at the higher levels of almost any profession - sports punditry is probably the best example. Make a few right calls and then suddenly your opinion becomes gospel and most guys with the podium and limelight develop a persona from it - Zach Lowe included.

I think Givony has a better feel for this team, but is just feeding into the vibe for the segment. If everyone was really being realistic with the situation it would be a tone of young guys out there scrapping and LEARNING how to play in the NBA and with each other. Totally fair to say that some of the fan expectations from guys like me for what KPJ would do this year and the team as a whole has not materialized, but there is still progress being made that should give ROX fans a little hope at least and not allow themselves to be baited into turning on their own guys. TODAY we have a flawed, young roster that is earning their stripes and taking their lumps, but this experience will help them become the best versions of themselves. Patience truly is a virtue.

12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I'm sure he likes the T-Wolves and their two big lineup (Gobert/KAT)
    or the Knicks style.

Probably loves to watch the free falling Spurs and Popovich style

13. Nook

Nook Member

Most of what they said is accurate.

Silas is a poor coach. He didn’t have any idea how to play Jabari to start the season and overall still doesn’t. The Rockets style of play is bad.

Kevin Porter is bad as a primary playmaker and Green is improving but isn’t really a primary one either.

Nix and Gordon are a waste of minutes.

Lowe LOVES Eason and said he was certainly a top 11 rookie.

Little Bit, Marteen, Deuce and 3 others like this.
  14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

What did Lowe say about Jalen? I must have missed that. I don't think I've ever heard him proclaim what Jalen will be. I can only remember him saying positive things.

Mathloom likes this.
  15. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Agree that the Nix part was hilarious and very accurate. I understand why some might not like watching the team due to the horrible coaching, I think they will end the year at least a few wins below their potential if well-coached.

I think Givony had some previous biases about Tari which is why he's being stubborn, he's clearly a top 11 rookie, I have him ranked 8th right now.

Not clearly this year. I'd say Mobley is still a bit better than Green right now but the gap as closed significantly from last season. Mobley hasn't improved much from last year while Green has tremendously. If Green continues his trajectory, he will likely surpass Mobley next year IMO.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

"Hit or miss"

17. rocket43

rocket43 Member

The national media isn't watching Rockets games. Maybe a few a year when we play big teams. Other than that, they are getting all their info from stats and highlights. I put more stock into what the clutchfans board says than these clowns. At least we are actually watching the games.

18. dmoneybangbang

Let’s be clear…. You made these outlandish claims about CF posters watching more basketball than Lowe and Givony combined.

Also you are right I can’t prove who is more right and I don’t really care as that was never my original argument but you roped me into.

Wow… you are triggered.

You clearly completely ignored everything I said. I’ve been reading and listening to Lowe since he was on the Grantland and don’t watch or care that he is on TV. If you seen Lowe on ESPN, it’s not because of his personality.

Right back at you. I’m just trying to figure out why Zach Lowe and his guest triggers you so much.

Which tells me you didn’t even listen to the podcast because they weren’t predicting anything…. This wasn’t a “where are the rockets going to finish” or “who will be the best rookies at the end of the season” it was pretty much how are the rookies doing now and how would you rank that….

So your entire issue is based on something that wasn’t even happening…. You are the one who essentially claimed they were some randoms while ignoring the connections and knowledge they’ve built up through their jobs. Does that make them perfect predictors? Absolutely not, but they do make more than predictions.

Take care….

#78 dmoneybangbang, Dec 8, 2022
  19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm relistening to it right now and the "Jalen Green is very hit or miss" line is from Givony. At the 46:30 mark of the pod.

Lowe did say that there are "two guards who love to dribble all the time," a clear reference to KPJ and Green. (49:50 mark)

At around 55 minutes he mentions that KPJ, Green, and Jabari are the worst 3 man group (statistically). Then says that adding Sengun makes them the worst 4 man group.

So I don't see where he made any proclamations about what Green will become. I'm just wondering what @Mathloom is referring to. I regularly listen to Lowe Post but never watch ESPN so maybe he said something there, but I doubt the Rockets get talked about much on ESPN.

And fwiw, I think "hit or miss" is not an entirely inaccurate description of Jalen Green so far.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think everything is is correct, and I also agree with Lowe except for one thing.

Nix. Giving him time is really a low risk move and he has been playing better bit by bit. For a team not focused on winning, it makes sense to give him PT.

Everything else is spot on. Silas doesn't have control of this team on the court. If he did, the offense wouldn't be as bad as it is. Bad? Yes. But it right now looks like the ugliest thing I've seen in 40 years.

Little Bit and Nook like this.