1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Protesters don't want Ali to throw out first pitch

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Agent27, Jul 13, 2004.

1. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Ali was awesome last night...did you see him put the rabbit ears on A-Rod...classic...

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

That may have had a chance of being funny if Drayton hired Bob Watson

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

Its still funny because the Astros have had many black players over the years on Draytons watch, and just now, happen to have none.

Its about as funny as the whole theory that the Astros are racist and intentionally pass up on black players.

4. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

And Drayton never gave a washed up, problem filled Doc Gooden a chance.........:rolleyes:

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i will not sleep until african americans get a fair shake in pro sports.

zzzzzz....

zzzzzz...

zzzzz....

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Again for the people who apparently were to lazy to actually read the article.

It isn't just about sports or the Astros.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i understand that.

my post was just about sports.

i get that racism still exists. i really do. and i get that i don't get the depth of it because i'm not subjected to it. it's just that it loses real effect with me when you protest at an all-star game and cite the fact the home team doesn't have black guys. or you cite ticket prices for sporting events as being discriminatory.

and when the loudest voices on that pull away in their H2 Hummers.

8. Agent86

Agent86 Contributing Member

Im sorry but the Houston National Black United Front Chairman has no right to call anyone racist. In year two thousand freakin four, what the hell is the need for activist groups????

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Which proves my earlier point. When a group is trying to draw attention to real issues, they should not include things that are trivial such as not being able to afford a $5.00 ticket to a baseball game. Not having $5.00 to spend on food, clothing or shelteris another matter.

The focus of their perceived plight shifts.

10. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

The activists said it.....but Ali was too smart to try to sell some b.s that $5 tickets are unaffordable. Or, in my case, $2 tickets. (I bought the 10 tickets for $20 package - and got a free All-Star cap).

Granted racism is prevalent, but saying that about the tickets hurts their stand.