1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

All Star Starters Set

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by leroy, Jul 12, 2004.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/allstar04/news/story?id=1838392

Associated Press

HOUSTON -- Roger Clemens will open the All-Star Game for the National League, throwing the first pitch to his nemesis, New York Mets catcher Mike Piazza.

"I'm glad I'm throwing to him and I don't have to face him," Clemens said Monday.

Clemens, 10-3 with a 2.62 ERA for his hometown Houston Astros, was selected to start Monday by NL manager Jack McKeon of the Florida Marlins. Oakland's Mark Mulder was picked to start by AL manager Joe Torre of the New York Yankees.

Then with the Yankees, Clemens beaned Piazza in July 2000. In Game 2 of the World Series that October, he threw the jagged barrel of a shattered bat in the direction of Piazza, earning a $50,000 fine.

While the pair aren't warm to each other, they repeatedly have said they didn't foresee a problem working with each other. On Monday, Clemens called the controversy a media creation.

"It's not that big a deal. It's not an issue," he said.

Clemens said he planned to meet with Piazza before Tuesday's game, just as he would any other catcher.

"I'm sure we'll go over the first handful of hitters," Clemens said

Mulder, overshadowed by Clemens, is tied with Texas' Kenny Rogers for the major league lead with 12 wins, going 12-2 with a 3.21 ERA.

Ichiro Suzuki leads off for the AL and plays center field, followed by Detroit catcher Ivan Rodriguez, Anaheim right fielder Vladimir Guerrero, Boston left fielder Manny Ramirez, Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez, Yankees first baseman Jason Giambi, Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter, Texas second baseman Alfonso Soriano and Mulder.

St. Louis shortstop Edgar Renteria leads off for the NL, followed by Cardinals first baseman Albert Pujols, San Francisco left fielder Barry Bonds, Cardinals third baseman Scott Rolen, Chicago Cubs right fielder Sammy Sosa, Piazza, Houston center fielder Lance Berkman, Astros second baseman Jeff Kent and Clemens.

Berkman replaced injured Cincinnati outfielder Ken Griffey Jr.

Berkman 7th and Kent 8th? Gee, thanks for the AB's at home. They should at least both be ahead of Sosa. I would have gone...

Renteria
    Berkman
    Bonds
    Pujols
    Rolen
    Piazza
    Kent
    Sosa

2. PhiSlammaJamma

They should brush back the first batter just to make a statement.

3. junglerules

junglerules Member

Perhaps, but with as crappy as the 'Stros have been playing, I'm grateful we have 4 All-Stars, and 3 players starting.

Looking forward to the Derby and the game....

4. codell

codell Contributing Member

That guy just won $1 MIL for throwing a ball 5 times through that hole in 30 secs.

Thats the easiest $1 MIL youll ever see. How lame.

Even Bobfinn could have done that. :p

#4 codell, Jul 13, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2004