1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dampier as a Rocket Twin Tower?-Pure speculation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by yao ming, Jul 13, 2004.

1. yao ming

yao ming Contributing Member

ESPN Insider is reporting that Dampier may have to settle for some team's mid-level exception. He would make an extremely imposing PF next to Yao, don't you think? Could Howard play the 3 and JJ serve as a "super sub"? This could be one of those bargains that the Rockets had a shot at because they didn't partake in the feeding frenzy of signing mediocre free agents to monster deals. Thoughts?

2. glcpimp

glcpimp Member

I'd do that in a heartbeat. But if it was said by Chad Ford......it aint happening

3. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Golden State may still S&T Dampier for above the MLE. Not sure who they'd want in return, but the Lakers, Blazers, Knicks, and Mavs are possible suitors.

Evan

4. UTrocket

UTrocket Member

Dampier would do well to sign with LAL if he's only going to get the MLE. I don't see Howard playing the 3 either.

5. lalala902102001

There are still teams with cap space to sign Dampier straight up. He's going to get a bigger deal than MLE.

6. yao ming

yao ming Contributing Member

I should add, this is listed as part of their NBA rumors column, so I'm not sure if it is Ford or someone else writing it. It also says that Golden State will be reluctant to help ED out with a SNT unless they get a <b>great</b> offer in return. The TE would allow us to outbid teams offering their midlevel exception, but not enough to outbid Atlanta, Charlotte, or Denver (if KMart doesn't happen there). Just an interesting, longshot possibility.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Dampier isn't coming to Houston. We only need a backup for Yao and Dampier is to expensive for 10-15 minutes a game. Now if we moved Taylor/Howard it would be possible because he could play both positions.

8. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Howard cannot play the three, Damp will end up getting more than the MLE, Damp IS mediocre, and Chad Ford is a dip****.

9. dconover

dconover Contributing Member

Signing Dampier would allow us to more comfortably move MoTaylor in a trade for a point (Jalen Rose?) and backup two.

I think that it would be a great move.

10. Raven

Raven Member

Hell yes, I'd like to see Dampier play for the Rox, but not with JH, MT, and CW all playing the same position.

11. glcpimp

glcpimp Member

Actually if we could get Dampier I would want to trade Mo to Seattle and get ADaniels. They could just sign DFish and have Ridnour as a backup. I think in that senario everybody wins.

12. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Dampier would serve the same role that Cato served for the Rocks, and Howard is tradeable (Minnesota, Chicago were mentioned, Minnesota definitely wants him), but Dampier would ask for to much money.

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Dampier is going to get more than the MLE. Someway, somehow. He did opt out of his contract that would have paid him 8M this season.

My guess is GS will do a S&T with some team. The Grizzlies apparently have a lot of interest in him.

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

They have the extras to fill out the Warriors' roster. Also, GS will (likely) be trading JRich so what will they get back for him? GS will be overhauled thanks to those two by end of August.

15. indaclubam2pm

indaclubam2pm Contributing Member

Howard cannot play the 3. I would like to get Dampier

16. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

There's <b>rumor</b> of a 4 tream trade which includes Dampier and Carter, with Dampier going to NY, Vince Carter to Dallas, Shandon Anderson to Toronto, Kurt Thomas to Golden State, and Antoine Walker to NY. Those salaries don't add up to me. But, I heard it on the radio, and found it on the net ...

<a href="http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/211680p-182328c.html">NY Daily News</a>
    <a href="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/scorecard/07/13/truth.rumors/">Sports Illustrated</a>

17. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't mind taking Dampier to play starting 4 with mo taylor or juwan howard coming off the bench. if we get Dampier we would definitely have to trade either mo or juwan... I'm for trading mo. As much as I like him I think we're paying too much for him. Especially since he can't rebound.

18. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

Dampier would be a great pickup, IMHO.

He's big, he's rugged, he's versatile. He impressed me while he was a GS Warrior.

I'm all for it.

:D

theSAGE

19. Raven

Raven Member

Rox cannot afford Dampier. In the current NBA economy, he'll get
    an almost max offer, which is why he declared for FA in the first place.

Though, he does seem to be exactly what the Rockets have been missing, since the rebuilding began five years ago.

If it was possible, I would trade his contract for Juwan Howards in a heartbeat.

20. 4Shoposite

4Shoposite Contributing Member

Yeah, Damp would be a very nice signing.

If he has to "settle" for the MLE - a wise choice would be to throw our T.E. out there and offer him a starting position at the 4.

Damp is a big bulky body that would do wonders of keeping the physical pressure off of Yao in the middle. Plus, he's really good offensively and under the boards. Moving Either Juwan or Mo would be neccessary though - as all three (Damp, Juwan, and Mo) are all offensive players.