1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fox Sports confirms 610 report

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketball, Jul 18, 2001.

1. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Fox sports also mentioned the same thing Lance Z. did on 610. Saying that the Toronto people were in Houston today, to talk with Hakeem. They have offered him a lucrative, multiyear contract and are the leading candidates for his service if the Rockets don't work out. They did mention that this would be done as an outright signing and not a sign and trade....

2. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

3. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Now guys!Can we bring MARC JACKSON for 4.5 mil.I got that feeling also that the Dream will work somewhere else, because of the limited cap space. Unless, CD & co. are willing to sign the Dream and let MO, Shandon, Norris and Air Bullard sign somewhere else. That will really pisses me off! [​IMG]

------------------
    Rudy T. will find and fulfill Rockets destiny.

4. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Also added Dream and Fegan are unavailable for comment.

We already know Dream's thoughts [​IMG]

------------------
    13-0

5. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

If its true then Fegan and Dream are probably using Toronto as leverage. In the end Dreams not going anywhere, he will retire a rocket.

------------------

6. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

My take:

$30,368,369 committed + $3,980,750 JYD signed = $34,349,119

They have a $13,750,000 unrenounced hit for AD and Alvin Williams. The unrenounced hit for just AD $8,250,000 (Williams to Bulls). Toronto is at the cap.

Maybe someone else knows how they can do it outright, but I just don't see it. (AD's 60M for 5 years is about 9.4M in year 1 when it's signed).

As mentioned in another thread, if they did manage to pull it off signing Carter next year places them at the Luxury Tax.

-----------
    Raef to Rocks in '01-'02!

[This message has been edited by GATER (edited July 18, 2001).]

7. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

I fear that Hakeem (or FEAGAN) finally found some interest, which might make CD & co give up all of our cap space for the next 2 years. I pray that LES steps in, calls this bluff, and slams the door in Hakeems face, with a take it or leave it offer. We cannot take a chance of loosing are other FA's for HAKEEM. Hakeem could drag this on for weeks!!!!!

I say if he wants to sign in Toronto, for the 4.5 million exception (or starting salary, etc...), then BYE BYE HAKEEM!!!!!

------------------

8. steviefranchise

rockHEAD

that is hillarious..."I bet they all ate at Hakeem's house....hence the shopping trip."!!!!!! that is classic

------------------

9. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Gater-you didn't take the Oakley-Skinner deal into account. I just ran the numbers, and they fall just short anyhow (4.2 mill). If they didn't resign JYD, and renounced Williams, they'd be a big time threat. Or if they can somehow dump Curry or Montross of on someone for nothing, they could offer Dream a deal in the 6-7 million range.

In the S/T department, I'd be willing to work a deal if we were dead set against giving Dream 2 years at big dollars. The Raptors have a pair of cheap athletic centers in N'Diaye and Clark that could be expendable with their front court depth (Davis, JYD, Bradley, Skinner, Stewart, Dream?). They also have a pair of expiring contracts in Chris Childs and Dell Curry.

------------------
    "I always thought Hakeem was the better offensive player and DRob the better defender." Spurever

Shaq would probably agree.

[This message has been edited by NIKEstrad (edited July 18, 2001).]

10. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

There you go! Wasting all this time. Folks said that nobody is willing to pay the man. I wrote about what was happening with fellas like Todd Mac and nobody will listen, trying to squeeze Akeem, our Dream. I do not want him to go anywhere and thank god CD has the money to keep him here. Believe me there are other teams that will start to make a move if the Rockets take too much more time.

------------------

11. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Rockets will just match it or put some sugar on top and we've got a bargain.A two year deal for those numbers doesn't cripple us against the cap,in fact it's a damn sweet deal for us.He's not going anywhere.

------------------
    Everybody has a little bit of Watergate in em - Billy Graham

12. GATER

NIKEstrad,
    You're right! RealGM still has Oakley and I missed it.

IMHO, Toronto would be interested in a S&T to keep a tight hold on cap $ because they are really going to shell out for Carter next summer.

I wouldn't say "no" to Keon Clark, either. He's a little light (6-11, 221#) but a hard worker. Clark is only 26 yo.

------------------

13. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

I may be wrong, but wasn't Marc Jackson close to signing a deal with the Sonics??

------------------
    Homer Simpson: "I'm gonna tell you 3 things that will haunt you for the rest of your life! You've ruined your father, crippled your family, and baldness is hereditary!"

14. haven

haven Member

DearRock: You're taking this as a strong possibility despite the fact that it appears impossible with the cap unless other teams take on almost worthless contracts?

This is a red-herring.

------------------
    Clutchcity.net... source for all your Rockets, Astros, political, music, humor, and Gordita news.

15. SlamN

SlamN Member

Here's a link to ESPN report on the Toronto lead:

<a href="http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2001/0718/1228065.html">Link</A>

------------------

[This message has been edited by SlamN (edited July 19, 2001).]

16. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

Haven, what I am saying is that there are some of us who believe 1. he is not worth it and 2. he will not attract interest elsewhere. That is proving to be wrong as many were about his ability to perform last year. I mean Barkley on TNT opened his big mouth and said there is nothing more in Hakeem's tank and he should just give it up. What a fool?

Red Herring? We better be cautious. You know if OP was right and the Rockets wanted to start Dream at 4.5m then alot of teams can get into that big time.

------------------

17. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

This is unconfirmed, but I believe the Raptors do have a 5.7 million dollar trade exception from the Charles Oakley and Mark Jackson trades. If this is the case, a trade of Clark for Hakeem straight up could work, and the Rockets wouldn't have to take on any of the Raptors contracts.

Of course, I still want Dream here, and we need him here. But, if he has to go, we might as well try and get some good value for him.

------------------
    Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

The Mo Taylor Fan Site

18. GATER

The Rockets' starting offer was 4.5m. Dreams' starting offer was 10.0m. The reality is somewhere in between (IMHO, 5m-7.5m).

I find it curious that 1 team of the remaining 28 shows casual interest for an undisclosed amount and several posters find that is justification for the $10.0m salary.

No thanks. If Toronto wants to pay Dream a multi-year contract starting at over $7.5m, let's sign Dench or Pig and become everybody's favorite trading partner in February and FA heaven next summer.

------------------

[This message has been edited by GATER (edited July 19, 2001).]

19. haven

haven Member

Gater:

I agree, especially since it's normal for inquiries to be made and discussed. If nobody was asking after Hakeem, it would be because 1. everyone knew he was ferociously loyal (and he isn't) or 2. because he's worthless (he isn't).

He's a viable C in unrestricted free agency. However, nobody can afford to pay more than the 6-7m the Rockets have to offer. No need to panic or cave in simply because some near-impossible deal was discussed.

------------------
    Clutchcity.net... source for all your Rockets, Astros, political, music, humor, and Gordita news.