1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KPJ: Can someone explain to me why he has become Clutchfans favorite whipping boy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DasouthDakota, Oct 25, 2022.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Alpi makes one mistake and often gets yanked immediately. KPJ can just keep making the most boneheaded plays - no accountability whatsoever.

2. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Delete

Futron likes this.
  3. King1

King1 Contributing Member

They go into hiding except for the one out of every 10 games he doesn't play like a complete bum

clutchdabear and Nook like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

He gets such a long leash because the GM and head coach strongly believe in his ability to play basketball at an elite level.

They have groomed him for this for some time now.

They basically are trying to shove a square peg in a circle hole.

Rather than having him learn efficiency and improve his shooting and defense as a key bench player… the Rockets are taking an inefficient player and having him shoot in high volume, forcing him to play the point, and trying to have him lead the team.

A lot of this isn’t Porters fault because he is doing what they have asked him to do.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Alpi isn’t perfect, he is learning like a lot of young players… but it’s pretty obvious that Silas hasn’t been a believer in Alpi.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think Stone and Silas have a strong emotional attachment to KPJ. Maybe they feel the urge to redeem him from his rough past. That's very noble but it has become ridiculous now.

A while back when I saw the report that Stone regarded KPJ as his project, I knew it's a red flag. You don't make decision based on emotional attachment. It just reeked of irrational thinking. Someone rebuffed me that it's a good thing to have a human side of things. That also sounded nice. But if you really want someone to be good, you give him tough love. Make him accountable for his actions. Not spoil him rotten.

7. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

The saving grace is Stone is cautious enough to offer a very team friendly-contract, so the Rockets are somewhat protected from the downside in terms of cap.

However, the more concerning downside are the development of the players. The Rockets have 5 players in the starting line up that all need touches and shots, but the ultimate priority has been given to KPJ. We are somewhat fortunate because Green and Sengun are still navigating their way across this mess very well, but it's clearly not working with Jabari.

King1, Believe It!, Easy and 8 others like this.
  8. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Which makes me question how he was ever qualified to coach in the nba? He's too 20 in PER and he's 20 years old....

ArtV and clutchdabear like this.
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

KPJ doesn’t look like the type that can handle tough love

Y’all forgot the approach Lucas said he has to take with him?

show KPJ tough love or treat him with anything more than kid gloves, and you’re liable to get hot spaghetti bolognese thrown at your dome

King1, BonziWellsGOAT and Boii like this.
  10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It's because both Green and Sengun have self creation ability. That's the only way you will consistently score on this team.

Jabari unfortunately does not have self creation ability.

King1, Rockets4Life13 and Boii like this.
  11. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Shoot, don't pass, less chance for turnover

12. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

KPJ doesn't make anyone around him better hell he doesn't even make himself better on the court.

King1, Easy, ArtV and 5 others like this.
  13. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

The good thing for Porter is that what I have learned from the stats guru of clutchfans is that stats only account for about 25-30% of the picture. So really he only 25-30% sucks.

14. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Does KPJ know you are allowed to pass in a pick and roll. I do not think he passed a single time to the roller in the pick and roll. His main problem is he just doesn't look for the roller. Even with a very high pick and roll (outside of the three point line) both defenders can pressure him since he will never pass to the roller. Even when he is completely open.

KPJ can be an amazing scorer from the bench, but he should not lead an offense.

15. Likemike33

Likemike33 Member

He (KPJ) should be dealt. He’s hindering the team’s growth especially Green’s. This is fourth year. He is a “me” type of selfish player that doesn’t fit with the team longterm. The earlier they deal with him, the better.

16. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

Can someone please change the CF home page lead story so I don't have to see KPJ's loser face every damn time?

King1, payaso and PeterKingX like this.
  17. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

At this point, I'd take anything to get this clown off the team. I think we'd be lucky to even be able to trade KPJ for a worthless vet on an expiring...

King1, AroundTheWorld and PeterKingX like this.
  18. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

If KPJ plays in the Spurs, he possibly won’t get playing time.

King1 and daywalker02 like this.
  19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

So for the running tab of fun ... Kevin Porter Jr is solely to blame for this team being 2-12 right? Remove him and this team becomes a winning club?

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I don't think anyone thinks that. People have gone over this ad nauseam, but the main hope with having a real PG would be that it would make others better. Watching one guy go 1 on 5 the whole time doesn't make anyone better (which should be our main goal at this point).

clutchdabear, King1 and Carpe82 like this.