1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

declining that option was clearly a no brainer after a dominant Cy Young year. anyone who actually thought he would opt in were kidding themselves

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

They won the World Series, why was there a need to trade for a bat?

Why would Altuve not have played in a game 7?

Nook likes this.
  3. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

He's a lump of DOGSHIT.

KelvinCato13 likes this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

He pulled his hammy in game 6 when he hit the late double. That's why he was running gingerly

5. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

We will win the WS next year. BOOK IT.

6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Honestly, there is not enough difference between his production and a rookie production with greater upside potential to make him worth it. Diaz and Hensley or even JJ should be given the opportunity rather than searching for a mediocre replacement.

7. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

Do we know if Astros has any interest in this guy? I don’t think we ever sign anyone directly from Japan.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Diaz and Hensley will get their chances even if Astros acquire Choi. Getting Choi should not be too costly, and would add to depth (not replace it).

9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Opting in was only a possibility with a new contract in place for 2024+ as a salary shift move. But discussions were not completed before he had to notify MLB of his decision on the option. Now, even if he does sign with the Astros, his salary average will include 2023.

He need 56 games to reach 300W which probably requires 3 1/2 good years. 3 years @ $40 with a fourth year player option for $40 with a $10M buyout should do it. On the books as $43M AAV for 3 years and a way to finish his career here if he is just short of 300 after three years. Option IP would probably be reduced to compensate for a six man rotation with fewer starts. Still below Market, but helps him achieve his stated goal of reaching 300 wins.

10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I don't see space for him without hindering a good look at prospects ready to make their mark. There is only space for 13 position players so if he's here, diaz probably isn't. Hensley has the utility in the infield to replace A Diaz or Dubon. Outfield depth should probably be McCormick, then a catcher, either Lee or a vet (Vasquez?) and then we need a true PH who HITS which might be filled by Brantley.

It's just a numbers game and Choi would be the odd man out.

Who would you take off the active roster?

11. HTown2017Champs

Ji Man Choi traded to Pittsburgh

12. HTM

HTM Member

That seems very far away from what he will be offered

13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I assume you mean $40M per year. Otherwise he won't be here. I don't think we get him back without giving him a way to 300 wins without breaking the bank. Newest projection of value is 2 year $45M AAV or a $90M contract. I think he would take less AAV if we give him 3 plus an option for a 4th.

14. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Come on. He's got 12-14 weeks to heal before Spring Training.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

did you even read the post I replied to. clearly not

16. htownbball

htownbball Member

$40M per year

17. Houston_Rockets

You people want to pay JV 40M a year because he has been instrumental in our Championship window. This is the main reason why we need a Click type GM with numbers and resource alocation mentality to go against Crane and his passionate go all out mentality. There is no justification to invest that much money on a 40 year old guy, with the rotation quality we have behind him, over a scenario where you can add Abreu and Contreras and extend and re-sign with some of your big boys.

Baseball is not a feelings game,its an objective "what are you giving me that we dont have on our squad" type sport, and JV is not giving me more going forward at that age then our stars and some FAs can give us to improve our lineup

Having said that,I love me some JV

tehG l i d e, HTM and AznH-TownFan like this.
  18. Qan

Qan Member

3/105 with 3rd year player option for Verlander. He's not worth 3/135 or 3/120...would love for him to stay though.

Jared Novak likes this.
  19. htownbball

htownbball Member

So let's say JV walks. What's the play here? Go with our current rotation and use the money on some bats?

Maybe it's just because I feel like Jameson Taillon just has never hit his potential as a draftee, but is he a guy that could thrive with our pitching coaches and tinkering with his approach? Or is he destined to be a mid-rotation guy that never lived up to his potential?

20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I’d like Verlander back but the Astros are set up fine without him. The biggest problem with losing him would be that you’re going to face him on another contender. How much do you spend to not only have his services but keep him off somebody like the Blue Jays? I’d probably be comfortable at 3/120.

everyday eddie and J_Hunter_1977 like this.