1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chapter 4: The Green Revolution

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Oct 16, 2022.

?

How many wins will Jalen lead us to?

1. 20-29 wins

125 vote(s)
    59.5%
  2. 30-39 wins

61 vote(s)
    29.0%
  3. 40-49 wins

11 vote(s)
    5.2%
  4. 50-59 wins

13 vote(s)
    6.2%
  1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

JG is a kindergartner, that's the difference.

Haters out there, better duck your heads. Seems to me that JG has shaken off this sophomore slump already. WATCH. OUT.

2. i3artow i3aller

3. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

The next step for Green is finding a middle ground between really good and really bad.

It's clear watching him play that when he struggles, he gets a bit flustered and basically tries too much. The confidence is good, but he needs to scale down a bit when he is struggling and find a different way to succeed.

I really do wish that our coaches are capable of pulling our players aside and guiding them through their struggles. Maybe play them in a different role (corner spot/cutter) to get them cleaner looks.

cbass, marky :), O-dawg and 2 others like this.
  4. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

On a comfy red-eye flight to Canada, a beleaguered Jabari Smith Jr. nods his head.

5. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Agreed. I think that Silas should run some plays for him where is doesn't have to break down the defense, especially when he struggles. Try and get him an open shot.

I think Silas should play more 2 man games with Sengun and him. I really think that Sengun can make life easier for Green. And they actually fit really well on offense.

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yup. KPJ too. Our guards need to learn how to use Alperen and stop fighting him. He will give it back.

Ancient Moabite and LeDakota like this.
  7. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

This is going to be a totally different team once they get real coaching

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  8. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

This list skews really young. My guess would be that has something to do with modern guards putting up more FGAs.

Either way it's good comoany to be in.

gumbleton3 and Believe It! like this.
  9. O-dawg

O-dawg Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly. There was a play (sorry can't remember which quarter) where Jalen showed that he was going to accept the pick and instead cut back door. Sengun hit him with a perfect pass and Jalen proceeded to throw down a nasty two-handed dunk.

Would love to see more of this as most teams are playing a similar defense against us. Would definitely keep them honest on how they defend our PNR.

Corrosion likes this.
  10. O-dawg

Supporting Member

Agree, when his outside shot is falling he is unguardable. What I'm looking for in his next step in development is learning the art of drawing fouls and routinely mixing the mid-range into his arsenal. I think those two will lead to him being consistent on the offensive end. Already like the effort and increased awareness on the defensive end.

Still needs work on both ends of the floor, but when he has games like this it's easy to see and get excited about him fulfilling his potential.

Corrosion likes this.
  11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I don't think it's fga but more that the league has transitioned towards 3 and inside the paint scoring efficiency. Modern guards are just taking a lot more threes and are being a lot more selective of those low percentage 2 pters.

13. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Green played noticeably different tonight. He was significantly less aggressive looking to score but significantly more aggressive with the passes. Unquestionably his best game in terms of playmaker in his career so far despite the turnovers.

His offensive chemistry with Sengun was fantastic.

Easy, Mathloom, red5rocket and 3 others like this.
  14. O-dawg

Supporting Member

21 pts. 6 ast. 6 reb. ... Know it's hard to see through all the Sengun hype, but the kid had another solid game. Thought he should have went to the line one or two more times, but refs still don't appear to respect his drives much, that will change with time and him getting better at drawing contact.

Not hating on KPJ but man I would love to see this team play with a PG that is looking to set up others a bit more and not looking for their shot as much. On a night where he had 11 assists it still felt like quite a few of his passes were bail-outs after he over penetrated. Meh... His game just frustrates me at times, so I'm probably not being as objective as I should be.

15. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Jalen puts so much pressure on the D that a guy moving to the basket with him is going to get some good assists from him. If Jalen can make assists a feature of his game, he's going to score more due to the threat of him moving the ball to the right place.

16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Jalen got a plenty of hockey assists tonight with his passes too. His passes were decisive to Sengun all night.

Other than some turnovers it was a great all around game

Roomba and fchowd0311 like this.
  17. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I'd rather have him turn it over while trying to make the right play than not making the pass at all. This year is still about learning and improving, and despite that earlier rough patch I think Jalen is once again on the right path

(Jalen does still need to take care of the ball better though)

fchowd0311 likes this.
  18. O-dawg

Supporting Member

Indeed, the ball movement in the first half was great guards driving and kicking to open players who would move the ball for an even better shot. Jabari is still a bit slow in his reactions, but like all rooks the game will slow down for him eventually. Everyone else seemed to flow with the ball movement.

Second half is another story. Felt like Jalen and Sengun were on the same page, but my man KPJ pounded the ball a bit too much for me. Still got those 11 assists though so he was doing something right.

I would love to see more high PNR with Jalen and Sengun executed out of Jalen bringing the ball down court. Feel like it would give more space and opportunity for Jalen to use momentum.

conquistador#11 and fchowd0311 like this.
  19. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Look at Jalen Green's stats, it's the same as March of last year, when he "turned it around".

Last March Jalen averaged 20.8 PPG on 16 shots.

This season, he's averaging 20.8 PPG on 18 shots. Yes, he's less efficient but he's also playing against way better competition. This season Jalen has played against 1 team (Orlando) that's not going to make the Playoffs, everyone else is a good team, including the Jazz who are leading the West right now. The schedule that we've had so far is ridiculous.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ball movement is one of the only positives Silas has going for himself.