1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What if Paolo was a Rocket?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jaychi, Nov 8, 2022.

1. jaychi

jaychi Member

If we had Paolo instead of Jabari, I think he would strive here but I think there would be immediate effect on the other players probably green or porter. Paolo is ball dominant as does porter or green. Either of the 3 would be unhappy because of this iso offense. Paolo would look good in this offense. I don't think Silas would let him stand in the corner unless he really loves KPJ.
    Jabari may not be complaining. Maybe it's not his personality but I don't think he likes the offense. If Cole is back for the Magic and they have a better motion offense then maybe Jabari would thrive there. So really a lot of what ifs. So really I can't blame Jabari for his showing. He is just not used well.

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

But.....he's...not.

javal_lon, Bo6, Denovo and 7 others like this.
  3. YaosDirtyStache

The assumption you have incorrect here is that Jabari isn’t being used well. He flat out SUCKS.
    On topic: If PAOLO was here, it’s goodbye KPJ next year and hello to any floor general PG that you can find. Bancheros floor appears to be better than KPJ so you keep the generational guy and let KPJ find a new home somewhere else.

gumbleton3 likes this.
  4. Jontro

Jontro Member

playoffs and good chance to challenge milwaukee in the finals

5. CarlosGM

CarlosGM Member

No Wembanyama

Bo6 likes this.
  6. jaychi

jaychi Member

Jabari may really suck in the future, a Rashard Lewis part 2 but for me, he is not really used well here. He attempted 4 shots today. He does not touch the ball every possession. Well, the offense is at fault here. He usually stands in the corner, give picks, and rarely do KPJ or green pass him the ball. It is probably 80% Silas fault but really he is not being used well. Why not a big pick and roll with Sengun or an elbow offense like Adelman's. He can play Dirk if he wants too. He has that capability.
    Paolo almost handles the ball every time. he has more opportunities to do something. Yes, he is good but if he does not have the ball that much then he won't thrive as well

RocketOrg likes this.
  7. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

KPJ would dribble 15 seconds and occasionally pass to Banchero who sits in the corner.

Silas won’t play Banchero until 6 mins left in a quarter. If Banchero gets 3 fouls, Silas would bench him right away. It’s called good coaching.

8. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

no point worrying about it, we didn't have a chance to get him

Ekiu and Stoic Rob like this.
  9. berkowsk

berkowsk Member

What if chet was here? Who would clutchfans find to diss ?

10. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Paolo projections aren’t that interesting to me since he’s not here.

Regarding Jabari, I don’t think he’d be doing more elsewhere as far as on ball creation goes. That’s not who he is.

There’s not much designed motion in this offense, but I seriously doubt Silas told Jabari to go stand in the corner and don’t move.

Look at Tari and KJ…Both of those guys move off the ball. Neither of them dribble a lot and try to break down their man like the guards do.

Jabari needs to learn how to move within the offense to get himself open more. Yeah there’s times when they’ve missed him. It happens. But he’s got to be more active and get more involved.

He’s been called a big Klay Thompson….well he needs to go look at Klay, he’s not just setting screens and doing simple pops. He constantly moves into open spaces and cuts when he sees openings.

He doesn’t even need to be Banchero or some other guy who makes a ton of plays with the ball in their hands. But he absolutely needs to learn how to move off ball and be more active and cutting to give his teammates easier opportunities to find him.

And if the dude is 6’11 or 7ft or whatever with his level of athleticism there is absolutely no reason he shouldn’t be cutting to the rim more and looking to finish inside.

Either way, just hovering around the perimeter isn’t going to cut it.

xiki, cmlmel77, fattz and 1 other person like this.
  11. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

12. jaychi

jaychi Member

He can play like Klay but we have no play similar to that. Yes he will do well off the ball or an elbow facilitator. He can just shoot over bigs. He can be a good pick and roll because he can pop but usually KPJ or green does not pass much. If we continue KPJ as our PG even with a different coach, we won't be able to see the potential of our other players. Even if we have Wemby, how would KPJ coexist with him?

13. maj21

maj21 Member

You hate on KPJ 24/7. Like damn, stfu for once

14. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I love Paolo, really wanted him from the beginning, and he was always the firm #1 on my draft board...

That said, it's time to let him go, man. He's on the Magic. There's no sense in this type of speculation. We have Jabari and he deserves our full support, even though he's been mildly disappointing so far. We never had a chance at him, so it's just as well to ask "what if Stephen Curry was on the Rockets?" Ridiculous speculation.

15. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

OP acting like he didn't watch Green's rookie year standing in the corner. @DreamShook

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He had 17 shots in the first game and was the 3rd most FGA per game guy (11+). Until last night his lowest was 8 FGA. Thats a lot.

He is getting shots.

He is missing shots. Open shots. Quality shots. His percentage is woeful.

Last night he got into foul trouble, was bricking as usual and his backup KJ Martin Jr was absolutely balling out on both ends - of course he didn't get back in the game and it was absolutely the right decision by Silas to sit him out so that the team could actually win a game for once.

Im as disappointed as the next person that he sucks currently - I hope he gets better, but some of you guys who think the cure for his volume suckage is to increase the volume and make up fake reasons for his badness are just clowning yourselves.

He's 19. That's a valid excuse - not everyone is Paolo. Hopefully he gets better. But his failure thus far is not for lack of opportunity - that's not a credible assertion

17. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

This is apart of the problem... All these KD/Giannis/Dirk comparisons.

Like wtf Jabari is a completely different type of player than they were as rookies. To start all those guys were extremely comfortable with their dribble. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by Rashad Lewis part 2, like Lewis wasn't an awesome player.

When Jabari understands spacing and how to move into it on the court he will start to look better. It's a big time skill some ppl never learn it but Silas is giving him the opportunity. It just takes time.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Sorry, but no. The "system" is not to blame for missing wide open shot after wide open shot. If Jabari could just be counted on to make those shots like the great shooter everyone knows he is he would be getting MORE looks! Novel concept huh? Why would you keep feeding an ice cold player over and over again?

It would be nice to offer some motion sets for him to be able to work off of, but he's not really a super agile/mobile guy to run him like that. Best case would be to let him work some post also if the focus is going to change with Sengun demanding post touches might as well give Jabari some too and let him operate there and see if it could help him break out.

To top it all off his much ballyhooed defense is not very good right now. He just seems lost out there. No biggie eventually good shooters break out of slumps and once he can start hitting shots he will be a great piece for this team, but in the meantime he needs to really go all out on defense and contribute there.

As for Paolo people can add all the qualifiers they want in banishing certain players if he were here, but the truth is Paolo would have made everyone around him better as he's doing for the Magic and similarly how he did for the Duke team. We could have run a TRUE point forward role without needing to clog the paint and sacrifice the open court to do so. When KPJ doesnt run lead the team looks like sht. Nix aint it and he's a "real" point guard. People expecting TyTy to jump in with his underdeveloped body and do better? The "I hate KPJ" bias that doesnt allow for any constructive debate. KPJ has already said multiple times he's fine playing off ball and thrives in that role, Adding a guy like Paolo would have unlocked the entire team, but he's not here so lets figure out a way to get Jabari going and support him as good fans.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not think anyone is Klay Thompson, even this version of Klay Thompson is not his old self.

Klay didn't post the best stats but dude could get hot like a supernova.

Klay was like Tmac 13 in 33 on numerous occasions, that is very rare.

Jabari in college was a taller Ray Allen meeting Nowitzki.

20. MystikArkitect

The Rockets would be more fun to watch while being even worse defensively.

I loved Paolo and wanted him here but offensively and defensively the team would be way more awkward. Also as good as he was...he wasn't the best player on the floor yesterday. Not even second best.