1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Somebody NEEDS to do something

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hlmbasketball, Nov 6, 2022.

1. 1Deep

1Deep Member

I understand the frustration. The signs of a team that's growing and learning from their mistakes just isn't there irregardless of the record.
    We have young legs and guys with off the charts aletleticism yet we continue to play the worse defense in the league. Between the bad defense and mind boggling turnovers this has become hard to watch.

2. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You're Tilman's favorite type of fan then, congrats.

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. NewAge

NewAge Member

I want to see progress, fight and professional basketball. If I see this they can go 0-82 and I’m OK.
    What I am watching is rec-league type basketball, zero improvement and indifference to losing.
    that’s not OK.

bmelo and kubli9 like this.
  5. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

jalen really has been a massive disappointment this season, other then that everything else has been fine since i expected jabari to be horrific early on

6. O-dawg

O-dawg Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with much of the sentiment here and watching this team is not easy, but... "General manager Rafael Stone: What we want is to see improvement, to see improvement, to see improvement. As long as we’re seeing that, we’re pretty happy with the rebuild, and I was definitely happy with last year.

You don’t want to stunt their growth by trying to steal a win here or there. Philosophically, we’re very cognizant of that. If your goal is to put together a team that’s really growing, it is different than a team that’s going to try to maximize every win." https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/20...rioritizing-development-over-wins-in-2022-23/

I believe the Rockets strategy is as simple as the article lays out. Suck for one more season, get another high draft pick, and then see how good this team can be with one or two quality players added through free agency (thanks to cap space).

What bothers me about the current situation however is the rotations and what seems to be a lack of offensive or defensive structure. I'm fine with development, and the losses that come with it, but can we please cut the minutes of players like E.G., Garrison, and Nix. These kids need as many reps as possible. And why in the heck are they pulling them out during blowout losses. Leave there butts in there to get more seasoning... lord knows they all need it.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  7. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks for posting!

zeeshan2 likes this.
  8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Zen Tabak likes this.
  9. Le$$

Le$$ Member

I think it be funny if rocket did get Victor, yet being compared to Mr Sampson his self.

10. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I don’t think so. I think the writing was on the wall that Harden was leaving that’s why Morey jumped ship. I don’t think the organization was caught by surprise by any means as everything likely planned and roadmap charted.

11. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Yes we are rebuilding, but in year three and it seems like we haven't moved much with all this talent

TOs and terrible D is killing us, this has to be on the coaching staff..

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Bad defense

Turnovers galore

Terrible shooting from Green & Smith (when they are getting open shots).

These things are not on Silas and are exactly why this team is 1-9.

Young players almost always struggle with defensive concepts, these kids are no different. The learning curve on that end of the court is simply higher and it takes time & experience to get it.

Turnovers .... the players are sloppy and careless with the ball. Silas can't fix that and doesn't have other options at the ball handler positions - unless you believe Tyty or Hudgins are the answer to that problem which isn't likely.

The offense generates a significant percentage of wide open looks, particularly from 3 point land and the players simply miss them at a high rate. But hey, blame Silas for the miss rather than crediting his offense for the wide open look.

roslolian likes this.
  13. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

True, but as bad as Silas is at coaching, player development has been on track.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Huh? He has done a great job developing the rookies. If you look at KJ Martin and Porter they've made great strides since their rookie years.

Corrosion likes this.
  15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Exactly. People equate miss shots and losing the game for "bad offense". Its not Silas' fault the players are shooting like crap lol.

Corrosion likes this.
  16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

With all the losses, people just want someone to blame and Silas is the low hanging fruit.

And they don't want to blame the players because if you do that, it sucks the potential out of the future .... and that's a bleak mental image because they'll be sending OKC some early picks if these guys are busts.

roslolian likes this.
  17. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

Lol this is weird stuff

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

The win at Orlando showed the Rox cosching isnt as bad as y'all are saying.

I remember a lot of posters here saying Orlando's offense is much better blah blah blah. Ok so how come they got hammered by supposedly the worst coached team in the league?

The reality is we have kids. And a couple of our kids are even playing like scrubs. Until they pick it up doesnt matter how much coaching Silas does. The offense can just result in a player being wide open, its up to the player to convert that into an actual score. If Silas draws a play that leaves Bari open and he bricks the 3 what the hell is Silas supposed to do? If Silas has PNR play but Green and KPJ cant pass to the rollman thats not on Silas thats on Stone not gettong a playmaker and on KPJ/Green for not working on their playmaking. It'll come in time but again thats not Silas' fault they cant run his offense lol.

We won the game cuz our players hit their open 3s. Jalen, EG, KPj, Kevin Martin Jr they were all stroking from deep. If they can hit htese percentages all the time Rox would have won more games. Thats not on the coach or the offense thats on players converting their shots.

Corrosion likes this.
  19. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Sigh... *rises slowly and majestically from recliner, puts on hat and coat and heads for burleskmobile...

#79 burlesk, Nov 9, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
  20. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

And yet a classic vintage.