1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros World Champions

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 5, 2022.

1. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Am I reading that right? “Texas represents Astros are the only MLB team in Texas to hold a World Series title”?! How savage lol.

2. astroa89

astroa89 Member

We had some great teams back in those days but they just couldn't seem to get over the hump. Garner was not a bad manager I think a big problem we had back then was the owner McLane. He was notorious for being a cheapskate that wouldn't shell out the necessary money to keep a contending roster in town. Crane has been a far better owner in my opinion and I don't think there is any debate about that.

the shark likes this.
  3. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

How serious is a sports hernia? Once you have surgery are you fine? If serious, maybe he retires as a champion. Keep his health before it gets worse. Sure he wants to keep playing but if he already got offered a job, he'll still have baseball, the Astros organization, and his teammates/friends in his life. But long time ago, someone said to me on here, he'll be leaving alot of money on the table.

4. right1

right1 Member

Since some of you guys are sharing. I grew up an only child in a broken home I guess you would say, so I spent a lot of time with my grandparents. They had season tickets in the Astrodome for 30+ years, 81 games a year, arrive early for bp and stay 'til the last out no matter the score. My grandpa who had Polio as a boy limping down the walkways, My grandma struggling with a cane to sit right behind visitor's on deck circle, 3rd row. My grandma finally passed in 2010. Going to so many games with them was the best part of my childhood. Baseball has been one of the greatest enduring loves of my life and these last few years as an Astros fan have been amazing! World Series Champions. So happy.

5. Nook

Nook Member

After the first one… for me, I agree with you. No real screaming… just a warm feeling and smiles, and a feeling of fulfillment.
    The 2019 team had bigger names and was a machine, but like most teams had some holes with depth and some inconsistencies. It was the best team in baseball, but they were up and down and capable of losing to a hot team. I bet a fair amount of money on the Nats that year when the regular season was ending because of their top of the rotation. The Astros lost because of a lack of depth.
    This year was different. While there were fewer stars, the pitching depth and performance and consistency was the best in baseball in at least 50 years… and it held true through the playoffs too…. The Astros after falling behind 2-1 in the series allowed only 3 runs the last 29 innings.. and probably could have gone another dozen innings before giving up a run.
    This is a special team. We will likely never see as good a pitching staff as this one in baseball in our lifetime.

6. Nook

Nook Member

If he wants to play, he will be healthy and able to play. I was surprised he was talking retirement at the break because I figured he would want to make his bank and retire - but apparently he wants to spend time with his family. As for coaching and working within the organization, that is something very strongly pushes by the front office. They clearly want him involved.
    He will defer to Verlander on what to throw, but he is extremely involved in game planning and charts out how to pitch to certain players in certain situations. When Verlander and others were stranding guys on base in pressure situations, that was mostly based on what Maldonado called.

7. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

This has got to be the saddest and funniest thing ever:

8. Nook

Nook Member

Crane played baseball in college as a pitcher if I remember correctly. He has been a fan of the game his whole life.
    He deferred to his baseball people until the Astros were caught cheating. Ever since then he has been progressively more involved and has delved very deeply into analytics and scouting. While the GM does their own preparation with his staff- Crane is involved watching tape and video on other players and kids in college, etc.
    He also is very social and is friends with a number of baseball people not in the Astros organization and they have some degree of input in Crane’s thoughts.
    FWIW, a former front office employee that now works for another team said that Crane is very good at talent evaluation and judging character.

9. Salvy

Salvy Member

Maybe he can pull off another couple of useless and pointless trades...

J_Hunter_1977, RKREBORN and mario_v like this.
  10. HTM

HTM Member

Is it a good idea to bring back Brantley expecting him to be an everyday player considering age/injury?

I’d like to have him back but as a platoon player seems like it makes the most sense

solid likes this.
  11. Salvy

Salvy Member

I've been reading their reddit a lot, they are the saltiest out of all...They seriously believe that if they beat Houston that first game they would have been champs.... They hate Pena the most because he accomplished more in one year than their precious rookie of the year....

Kim likes this.
  12. Salvy

Salvy Member

DH..... His only job should be professionally hitting...

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.
  13. HTM

HTM Member

I’d prefer to see Yordan at the DH.

I envision Brantley being a veteran back up DH/LF/other position player who is a reliable professional hitter who can step in and the line up doesn’t drop off too much.

That seems ideal if he is willing to accept such a role.

Kim likes this.
  14. swoosh1014

swoosh1014 Member

I’d like to have him back but as a platoon player seems like it makes the most sense[/QUOTE]

Would love to see Yordan 70% LF with Brantley 30% and then have the other DH. Jose Abreu at 1B on a short contract as well. Short term contracts to players like Abreu and Brantley would extend our lineup in the near term while leaving flexibility for the future as hopefully Yainer, Melton, Gilbert are the next wave to come thru.

prospecthugger and Nook like this.
  15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yeah, that bullpen he put together didn't help us at all in the playoffs.

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Crane was smart enough to hire Luhnow and to support an analytics driven FO.

The analytics are what separates Crane’s Astros from the previous successful teams.

17. Salvy

Salvy Member

Nice bullpen, give me Luhnow any day over Click thou... Any day, twice on Sunday....

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.
  18. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Yordan has shown he can hold down LF. I don't ever recall any huge screw ups by him. Also I think the splits show that he hits better when he fields and he said himself he'd rather field than be DH. Brantey is old and injury prone so him being DH makes more sense. I would love him back if he accepts a team friendly deal.

Salvy likes this.
  19. Salvy

Salvy Member

I think Yordan is fine in LF, if The Astros can acquire a couple of players I rather bring back Brantley and get a big bat to go along. All they really need is a first baseman and an outfielder. Not sure how many players can offer Brantley's production for the price not to mention how important he is to the core.

swoosh1014 likes this.
  20. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

I’m still smiling like crazy. I am so happy. I am so proud of our Astros.