1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Playoff and 2023 Roster Discussions

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Marshall Bryant, Aug 14, 2022.

1. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Looking at the roster issues for 2023 and the next few years, I think the Astros are not going to have the money to sign a big free agent for more than 1 or 2 years.

I think JV comes back regardless and that's a Jim Crane decision.

Any other additions will be either older 1B on a short deal or young controllable guy via trade.

There are several guys at AAA who could surprise if given a chance but most of the high level prospects who project as starters are still 1-3 years away.

2. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I don't mind a Yuli platoon next year. I think he figure it out again. And his playoff performance showed it was not about age.

3. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

If this trade deadline had not been such a bust regarding CF and upgrading the offense, I would say just start 2023 with the young guys and replace the under performers at the trade deadline.

Open competition for 1B and CF.

Jake Meyers, Pedro Leon, Corey Julks, Justin Dirden, Yainer Diaz, Scott Schrieber, Ross Adolph, Jordan Brewer, Matthew Barefoot and anyone else the team thinks could potentially win a position.

David Hensley makes the team as a utility player replacing Aledmys Diaz.

Chas is the 4th OF

They can play 1B and CF frequently during growing pains.

I think by 2024-5 Yanier Diaz or Joe Perez could be the 1B and Pedro Leon or Drew Gilbert could be CF and become mainstays for 6+ years.

4. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I disagree. I think it's exactly about age.

The extra rest between series is allowing him to stay fresh and hiding the fact that he is done as a regular player.

If they want to resign him cheaply as a bench player/mentor and on field coach and start 25-33% of the time I am on board with that.

Then use a guy like Yainer Diaz, Corey Julks, Scott Schrieber, or Justin Dirden the other 67-75% with David Hensley getting 2-3 starts at 1B per month.

Many of those guys would be playing 1B regularly for the first time and could use his help.

I vaguely remember Jesus Alou was a player coach for the Astros back in the 70s.

rpr52121 and Marshall Bryant like this.
  5. lnchan

I think he faced the opposite of what Bregs did a few years ago... slimmed down too much that it changed his batting mechanics. Players that are physically no longer able to do job don't set a career high in steals and get 40 doubles. I tend to attribute the decline in homers to dejuiced balls, and as a contact hitter, he can take full advantage of no shifts. Platoon him with Diaz if they must, who tends to break down more than anyone else.

6. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Aledmys Diaz is a free agent.

By " tends to break down" I assume you are talking about him?

7. lnchan

I know he is a free agent, and still probably the best utility player out there outside of LeMahieu, but he is the one that needs an innings limit

IdStrosfan likes this.
  8. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Brantley says he wants to return. If he's willing to take a team-friendly discount, bring him back and platoon him and Yordan between LF and DH. He was an All-Star just last year and can still hit.

My decision to want JV back depends on he performs in game 5. If he has another horrible showing, than he'll be unplayable in any hypothetical WS so what's the point?

PiPdAdY33 and htownrox1 like this.
  9. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Exactly how I feel. If he shuts them down and gets the win in game 5 then all is forgiven. However... another performance like game 1, then I'm letting him walk. Thanks for the memories, but goodbye.

10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

My feelings have changed somewhat since the playoffs began. I was ready to let Brantley, Gurriel and Maldy walk or take lessor roles on field. Now I'm not sure because I don't know if Brantley is finished as a productive player, which I had assumed; Gurriel is now showing promise after utterly failing in 500 PA and Maldy too is showing some life with the bat to go with his pitchers confidence.

The problem is we will continue to need new blood and we can't keep everyone and do that. I really don't want to even pretend I would relish making these tough choices with the depth we are showing.

11. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Scary thing about this team is that it should be better in 2023 than now.

Common accepted view is players are at their peak between 27-32.

Pena, Yordan, Tucker, Abreu, Javier, and Luis Garcia are 25 or younger.

Hensley, Meyers, McCormick, Urquidy, and Seth Martinez are 26 or 27.

Framber, McCullers, and Bregman are 28.

None will be free agents before 2025.

And the 2023 payroll is currently projected to be about $60M lower than its peak in 2020.

Plenty to spend to improve.

Hakeemtheking and IowaAstro like this.
  12. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

It's always tough and I understand what you are saying.

The question is: Does this team need more offense to win?

If not then bring back Gurriel and Brantley. And have guys like Yainer Diaz, J.J. Matijevic, Jake Meyers, and/or Pedro Leon develop into the next generation of Astros

If so, then they must leave and the team needs established bat(s) to replace them.

I will say chemistry is key to this teams identity and success.

13. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Run this team back but add Jose Abreu or Josh Bell at 1B.

1. Altuve
    2. Pena
    3. Alvarez
    4. Bregman
    5. Tucker
    6. Abreu or Bell*
    7. Brantley*
    8. McCormick
    9. Maldonado
    10. K. Lee or Y. Diaz or a cheap vet FA C
    11. Gurriel*
    12. & 13. Best two amongst Dubon, Meyers, Hensley, Matijevic, Leon, etc

1. JV*
    2. Valdez
    3. McCullers
    4. Javier
    5. Garcia or Brown
    6. Pressly
    7. Stanek
    8. Abreu
    9. Montero*
    10. Neris
    11. Martinez
    12. Garcia or Brown
    13. Urquidy (if not dealt) or Best Amongst Maton, Paredes, Taylor, etc

14. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

Crane did say going deep in the World Series and winning it will allow for him to increase payroll. I think they resign JV since he’s Cranes guy. Also, Tucker needs to be resigned as well. I do agree with you that improvement from within should make the team better for next year.
    However, if Crane is ready to pay the luxury tax, I would love to sign Benintendi to play LF and Drury to be a super utility player and help give rest days for the vets. We see what regular off days has done for Yuli.

15. htownbball

htownbball Member

Could Yanier Diaz be our backup C and 1B? Maybe a total of 75 starts between the two positions and another 15-20 at DH? He's the only internal upper level minors option as our long term answer at 1B, maybe start giving him some more at bats in the majors? Outside of signing Bell or Abreu, a combo of Diaz and Yuli may be the only option barring a trade.

16. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Before the season I thought Joe Perez was the most likely prospect to take the 1B job sometime in the future 2024-2029.

He is still young and had a solid 2nd half so could still get there but I think Yainer has passed him.

I still think 2023 is the last season he wears a catchers mitt. I predict 75% 1B/DH, 25% C.

17. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I’d give Diaz the shot at it similar to Leon in CF. Having a young, cheap guy effectively fill a spot solves so many problems.

In a perfect world you’d resign Yuli and Brantley to dirt cheap 1 year deals and they would both put up 2021 numbers.

In the real world I hope they resign Brantley on a cheap deal and Abreu to replace Yuli.

18. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Spotrac AAV Values for Astro Free Agents:
    Verlander $41.75M
    Mancini $18.1M
    Gurriel $15.2M
    Montero $8.2M
    Brantley $8.0M
    A Diax $4.6M

Others not calculated.

19. htownbball

htownbball Member

Yea he's def not a long term catcher but wanted to give the team options to get him in the lineup and much needed at bats to see what we have in him. I believe he's in the dugout as well similar to Pena last year? Which must say something.

I don't think Bell is an Astros type. Abreu likely gets a 3 year deal. And I don't think there are any proven 1B options on the trade market right now.

20. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Rizzo looks like he could be a fit.