1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

The only solace is knowing that Banchero would look pedestrian as well playing next to KPJ and Green.

LeDakota, Bo6 and clutchdabear like this.
  2. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

3. dmoneybangbang

What Klay Thompson has done hasn’t exactly been replicable since being drafted… so I’m not sure Jabari “can easily” be like him. I get the comparison but nothing is set in stone.

Paolo is just better at this point, that doesn’t mean he is without his own weaknesses but he has clearly made the NBA transition more smoothly than Jabari.

I don’t really know how you quantify “dog mentality” but Paolo is the one with the physical traits to actually bully players. I never really thought Jabari had the “dog mentality” in college, just a very hard worker and mature for his age.

It’s still very early so I’m not worried about Jabari.

Yung-T likes this.
  4. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

No he wouldn't.

He can create for himself. And doesn't need anyone to create offense for him

Yung-T likes this.
  5. sogood.

sogood. Member

What?

One of Banchero strength is the ability to create his own shots.

daywalker02 and Yung-T like this.
  6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

He's going to be fine, just needs to add some strength and a hook shot. He shouldn't be doing anything inside right now except we're developing him so we're letting his do some things he's not good at yet. All we need from him right now is to tighten up that 3pt shot and keep learning NBA defense. Once he's nailed that down, I think he could really benefit from learning how to execute a hook shot.

DeBeards likes this.
  7. Spooner

Spooner Member

I highly doubt that. The Rockets sorely need a playmaker. That is Banchero’s skill set. Even if he was a secondary playmaker in the front court he could help green and KPJ tremendously where they actually excel off ball. Look at Curry’s numbers with Draymond off and on the floor and then ask yourself if Paolo could have played some of that role on offense.

Bottom line is this - just because Jabari Smith’s skill set is to stand in the corner doesn’t mean any player we drafted would be boxed into that role. That’s more on Jabari lacking skills to do anything else.

8. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Paolo is a better playmaker than anyone on our roster.. but knowing Silas he would have relegated him to the corners or post-ups. Stephen Silas needs to be sending Doncic christmas cards for the rest of his life for getting him this job.

beardsanity713 likes this.
  9. Spooner

Spooner Member

Not trying to equate the two but I remember when we got Jordan Hill in the Mcgrady trade. We were all so excited to watch the #8 pick develop. I distinctly remember people saying all he needs is a hook shot lmao

joshuaao, Yung-T and subtomic like this.
  10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

going to piggy back and post this too

DeBeards and apollo33 like this.
  11. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Member

it is like Howard vs Okafor all over again. Orlando is again the winner. What has Jabari Milicic done to deserve a starting spot on an NBA team? Nothing. What has he done for Rockets? Well, he declined to talk to before the draft. He declined to meet with the Rockets before the draft. He declined to work out with the Rockets before the draft. All these happened within the last 4 months. Like a prom date, who have no other options but to go with you. Bench his sorry aasss and he will stop being a drama queen and start producing within a few years. I saw his face at the draft and he was not happy at all when the Rockets picked him. He almost cried. His confrontation with Jalen shows he does not respect the team nor any of its assets. That is not what you would want in your company. The kid has some mental issues and lots of growing to do. KPJ's coolaid might help him some.

#2671 Rinaldi, Nov 3, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2022
  12. Spooner

Spooner Member

The most inefficient shot in basketball. Great idea!

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

SMH. Writing off Jabari now is as foolish as this place has ever been. You guys never seem to learn and have no idea how to appreciate a TEAM vs your own preferential picks. FFS give it some time!

cmoak1982 likes this.
  14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Regarding that tweet... on the plus side, he GETS to the rim way easier than i thought he would.

I assumed he wouldnt be able to dribble drive to the rim at all. That hasnt been true. He just can't finish there. Considering he ALSO can't shoot from 3... somewhat impressive he's been able to dribble drive to the rim at all.

Still potential it all gets better in which case the upside remains enormous. But also potential these are just part and parcel to what he will be.

15. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

How to tell a person is dumb as rocks? When they project a rookie's career less than 10 games into their first season. We went through this exact idiocy last year with Green.

16. Spooner

Spooner Member

How can you say Jabari has a killer mentality over Paolo? Paolo led his team to a final four appearance and there were games he put the team on his back to get there. He’s also won multiple state championships.

Auburn played one game in the NCAA tournament. They were upset by a team much lower seeded than them and Jabari led them to a loss shooting 3/18 from the field. This isn’t about demeanor or some kind of affectation. It’s about results.

jiggyfly, joshuaao, Rinaldi and 2 others like this.
  17. Spooner

Spooner Member

I know right. Only 5 more games and then his handles will be elite!

jiggyfly, Yung-T and Rinaldi like this.
  18. dmoneybangbang

Who is writing him off?

Stop being so sensitive.

jiggyfly and Yung-T like this.
  19. dmoneybangbang

Likewise…. How do you tell someone is weak as wet paper?

Get upset when discussing the weaknesses of a rookie? Has someone made a Corey Brewer-esque comparison 10 games in?

Yung-T and Rinaldi like this.
  20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Interesting paragraph in there btw:

"All other teams may want to exercise caution in over-extending Jabari’s role projection as a primary creator and 20 point per game scorer. He’s a tough shot maker who has to be a tough shot maker in order to carry a team. His playmaking feel is suspicious and his defense not airtight by any means. Standing behind him at Auburn was one of the greatest shot blockers of all time at the college level. He got away with some concerning pieces of on-ball defense (which didn’t make it into the video) and got covered up by Walker Kessler."

DeBeards likes this.