1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] World Series Phillies vs. Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 28, 2022.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

because you were wrong. Why did you say they don't have to win 2 in a row?

2. Nook

Nook Member

I don't know.

What I can say is that the Astros management and coaching staff cannot possibly show any more respect for Verlander than they have this post season. They let him keep going out there twice in this post season when it was clear he didn't have it at all and wasn't going to suddenly improve. We won the Seattle game by coming back. We lost the one against the Phillies in game 1 when we have one of the deepest and best pitching staffs ever assembled. We could have pulled Verlander with the lead at several points in the first 3-4 innings and would very likely have won the game. We didn't do that though, we let him keep pitching.

Some will say we did it because we didn't want to stress the bullpen in game one and be in a spot where we lost the advantage or our depth and advantages in match ups. However, a win is a win and we could be up 3-1 right now.

So, yes, Verlander will get the ball and get another shot. If he is terrible I expect them to have a shorter leash in game 5 - but the level of respect that Verlander gets is amazing, and I don't know that Hinch or Luhnow would give quite the same latitude.

I am sure Greinke has watched this post season and thought "Where was that when I was on the Astros??"

It also tells me that the Astros think that they can "fix" some of the issues with Verlander.

Tonight, the Phillies need some cheap homers to win, and fortunately for them, they have a line-up that can do just that.

The Astros really need to get to Syndergaard tonight early. The Phillies still have the Wheeler (who was almost an Astro when he was a FA) card to play. He is capable of going 7-8 innings for them - and they will play the Suarez, Nola and pray for rain card in game 6-7 if they have to.

3. HTM

HTM Member

JV breezed through the first three inning in Game 1 IIRC.

desihooper and Nook like this.
  4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Wow..... B2B stupid posts

I never said what you claimed

You don't understand your own words coming out your mouth #rushhour

Caveat: I do understand your positive sentiment

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

The comment was "First team to win 2 in a row got this. C'mon, JV!!"

You said "This is technically mathematically not 100"

Just making the point that, for the Astros, it is mathematically impossible for them to win this if they don't win 2 in a row. So, if that's not what you were saying, you're right. I don't understand.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Christian Javier has started 34 games this year.

In those 34 games, 15 times he has pitched 3 or more innings without giving up a run.

He has given up 1 run 8 times.

Essentially 70% of the times he has taken the mound this season he has gone 3 or more innings and given up 1 or less runs.

He has given up 43 earned runs this year is a total of 161 innings pitched, for an overall ERA of 2.39 this season.

He has 210 strikeouts in 161 innings this season. It isn't discussed but that is an incredibly high strikeout % for a starter.

He has given up 92 hits in 161 innings this season, again that is a number that only all-time great season performances have matched.

In the past Javier has been a victim of having a handful of terrible starts that distort his overall number.

This year that is still the case, but he cut it down some-what: This season he gave up a total of 17 runs in his three worse starts and lasted a total of 11 innings in that start.

If you erase his worse start where he gave up 7 runs in 3 innings (when he was not starting every 5th game, but was being used in different roles), his era for the season is a flat 2.00

Javier didn't have an all-time great season. He didn't start enough early on and they pulled him too early at times. However, all of the indicators are there that he has the real potential and ability not only to be a TOR starter, but to be the most dominant pitcher in baseball for a span of time.

Eric Riley, JeeberD, BigM and 7 others like this.
  9. Major

Major Member

He means that the Astros could win 2 in a row and still not win the series. So first team to win 2 in a row doesn't necessary got this. Also, Philly can win the series without ever winning 2 in a row.

#6469 Major, Nov 3, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2022
    Nook likes this.
  10. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Yes, for the Astros

That's why I agreed with your sentiment

But NO........ mathematically no team has win B2B for the winner

If that equation plays out...... damn damn

11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Tonight for JV if there is any sign of serious trouble you got to go to the bullpen early. The Astros should be able to score some runs on Noah so it's just a matter of JV pitching adequately. 5 innings and 3 runs would even work.

If JV gets in trouble early use Neris as a leverage guy to get him out of the inning.
    Go with Garcia and then Brown for multiple innings.
    Turn bullpen over to the studs Abreu, Montero, and Pressly to finish them out.

jklb and Jake Tower like this.
  12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Technically, if the Astros win tonight, they are the first team to win 2 in a row. They could then lose two in a row and not win the series.

Invisible Fan and Nook like this.
  13. Rockets34Legend

Nice, glad to see the Astros have that affect on Phillies fans...

Stephen66, rocketsjudoka and Tfor3 like this.
  14. Rockets34Legend

15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Dusty is a very different manager that Hinch. Dusty trust his players particularly his veterans and not always with good results. Hinch is a system coach.

Verlander's WS record leaves a lot to be desired but it's undeniable what he's done over his career and this season. I'm uneasy about this given just his WS history but I can see why Dusty would still go with him and given team chemistry might feel making a change like not starting him would be a bad message to send.

At the sametime JV knows what's on the line. I think if he looks shaky he might not be too upset if he get's pulled.

16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

If the Phillies win or if they lose it's going to be rough night in Philly.

Also. That's HOT!

Tfor3 likes this.
  17. JazzLakerHater

It seems like every time we face a pitcher “we should do well against” we crap the bed. I actually think Verlander will pitch pretty well tonight. We just have to get some consistent production from our bats. I don’t like having these one inning burst and then going silent for the rest of the game.

18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Tfor3 likes this.
  19. RocketJedi

RocketJedi Member

Hurts for McCormick?

20. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Hurts doesn’t have a >150 OPS+ in the postseason, I’ll pass.