1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Webber/Houston Confusion?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hail The Dream!, Jul 17, 2001.

1. Hail The Dream!

Can somebody be so kind to explain to me as to why Webber and the Rockets have not even met with eachother. I mean maybe it went straight over my head somewhere, but it just does not make sense from either side. First the obvious, someone like webber can put the Rockets over the top. Second, even if Webber does not want to play in Houston, he can at least use us to create a higher demand or sense of urgency from the other teams. Third, as we all know, we are one of the few teams that can offer him a substancial contract as well as a sensable sign and trade with the Kings.
    From my perspective ther could only be one reason why no talks have taken place. This would be the supreme respect Rockets management has for Hakeem. If the Rockets began talks with Webber it might push away an already unsure Hakeem. His situation needs to be settled before any move is made. Whether it hurts our offseason or not it doesnt matter. He is our franchise and I for one have not forgotten why! Sometimes special people can show us this is not always a business. I am not sure if this is the reason for all this CONFUSION, but if it is........... I APPROVE!!!!!

------------------
    "I can honestly say I feel I guarded the man pretty well, but the guy is playing better than anyone I have seen in a long time" David Robinson on The Dream 95

2. Old School

Old School Member

Maybe they have talked and we just don't know about it. That's the way it should be, imo.

Old School

------------------
    I voted YES!

3. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Unfortunately, all Dream has done this offseason is demonstrate that this is a money-motivated business, and apparently nothing more . . .

------------------
    I'm looking for a job, so hire me

"And I just have to smile and say 'well, I hope so' while I'm really thinking inside how I'd like to just strangle them and take their job."

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

The main reason, IMO, is that the Rockets felt like acquiring Webber would jeopardize negotiations with other players. Webber was their number one target until getting Griffin. IMO, they feel that Griffin can provide the defense and rebounding that the front line of the Rockets lacked last year.

------------------
    How the hell should I know why God would allow the Holocaust. I don't even know how the electric can opener works. - from Hannah and Her Sisters

5. 3pointer

3pointer Member

I agree w/you Jeff, I just hope that Griffin will be the answer to our problems. From the looks of it so far I think that we will be ok .

------------------
    When will I reach 1000 posts ?

6. Bigman

Bigman Member

I wouldn't be suprised if we are still in the hunt and it's being kept hush hush because of our free agent situation. Maybe that's the reason CD trying to get the Dream to accept less money in the first year. I'm not counting us out of the Webber race until the fat lady sings. Although, allegedly she is supposed to sing soon.

Whatever happened to "Webber will be in Houston come draft time" ? Not sure who said it. Possibly Clutch. Does anyone know if the info that Doc and Clutch gave us pre-draft ever materialized?

------------------

7. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

The most logical reason is Webber long ago said he would not consider the best FA deal we could put togther--6 years, 90 mil. He gets at least 30 more mil signing with Sac or forcing them into a S & T. We would sign Webber in a milisecond through a strait FA signing, and surely told him it was available a long ago. But we never were interested in trading one of our 3 young guns that would have to be apart of any S & T. Thus there never was any reason for us to talk at all with Sac, and if Webber required anyone to work through Sac to get him there was no reason to talk to him either. On the other hand, if he gets really frustrated with Sac and potential S & T suiters and he wants to spite them all, we would appear to be the only fall back position. But that really, really, doesn't look likely.

I know Jeff thinks differently, but IMO I don't believe the trading for Griffin impacted our decision making on Webber at all--the 6/90 offer was always there. I just don't think the drafting of a 19-year old rookie--no matter how promising, who also plays a different position, impacts wether you pursue the only elite FA player out there, especially when that elite player plays one of your 2 weakest postions and is known to get along well with teammates. IMO, after the draft it just was a good time to announce what we knew long before, that Webber was dictating that teams work through Sac so we are focusing on our best realistic options at the time. This announcement both took advatage of a fan base energized by the draft day trade and provided a good cover story to present to our own FAs and their agents.

The smokescreens are complicated, but I think what went on was relatively simple.

8. Hail The Dream!

Which brings us to the question, is Webber looking to WIN or make Money? I mean how serious is this guy about winning? Do we really even want this guy. When the Lake show swept the kings, Webber was walking off the court with what I thought looked like a smirk on his face that he was now a free man. Also, look how he has treated the Kings ever since he has been there, and all the management and fans have done is treat him like a KING. IMO he is just a stubborn human being who wants to play where he wants for the max. Sometimes to play for the team you choose and win it is a game of give AND take. Even if Webber still signs with the kings at this point it's only because he has run out of options.

------------------
    "I can honestly say I feel I guarded the man pretty well, but the guy is playing better than anyone I have seen in a long time" David Robinson on The Dream 95

9. Bigman

Bigman Member

Actually, he sounds like someone very familiar to us Rocket fans.

------------------

10. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Sounds like he took the money.

As he wanted the maximum and to be on the best team available, Sacremento became the only choice. Either that or he has a new found love for Skiing this offseason that surpasses the lacking urban elements of Sac.

[This message has been edited by Desert Scar (edited July 18, 2001).]

11. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Unless it is the biggest secret deal in the history of sports, Webber won't be coming here.

The Rockets have a great reputation around the league in terms of loyalty, and dealing with their own players. This has not been like the common year. Free agents didn't wait for Webber to decide like they did with Duncan last year. Almost all the teams with cap room, with the exceptions of the Bulls and Pistons, have used that money in committing to other players.

Mo Taylor hasn't been negotiating with any of these teams. He hasn't even talked to one. And almost all of the money has been committed to other players. The Rockets aren't jackasses. They aren't going to leave the player that loves Houston, fits great in team chemistry, and has been told he'll be taken care of out in the cold for this Webber fantasy.

The only way we'll get Webber is in this scenario: the Rockets and Kings have the secret deal of all time worked out. Everything Webber and his agent has said has been a lie. Everything the Rockets have said has been a lie. The Kings have reached an agreement for a big contract with Mo Taylor, and the Rockets are sending Mo and more to Sacramento in a sign and trade for Chris Webber. Either that, or the entire negotiations with Dream have been a lie, we have a suitor for Cato, and the Rockets have gotten Mo or Webber to play center, and both will be here. Unless you believe one of those things, get out of fantasy land. The Rockets aren't going to string Mo along for weeks, while everyone else commits and all the cap money is used, and then tell him to get lost.

------------------
    Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

The Mo Taylor Fan Site