1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Barry chooses Spurs over Blazers; Rockets were pursuing Daniels?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mogrod, Jul 9, 2004.

1. New Jack

New Jack Member

I have a pretty good feeling Fisher is going to ask for the full MLE (39 mil for 6 years). I remember early in the offseason there were rumors about Fisher asking for 7 mil per. At the time, I kind of dismissed those rumors because I thought noone in their right mind would give him anything near that. But after all these contract, I'm fairly certain he's going to ask for it, and some dumb team is going to give it to him (hopefully not the Rockets). Fisher's already got his rings, right now he's looking for his payday.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

No, actually Jackie, what supports my statement are actual facts, not some incomplete bullsh-t correlation, which doesn't even address the fact that even in the games Barry played, he wasn't playing point guard most of the time.

Here:
    http://www.82games.com/03SEA5C.HTM

You'll note that Barry only played 14% of Seattle's minutes at PG. For reference, Mark Jackson, in half a season, played an equivalent amount of PG minutes for Houston.

While he played well overall (though not really as good on defense, as one would expect), he was slightly more effective at shooting guard.

Now, look at Daniels:
    http://www.82games.com/03SEA2C.HTM

He played 35% of the Sonics PG minutes this season. If you look at his stats, you will note that his offensive PER (Player efficiency rating) is higher than Barry's, and his opponents PERS are lower, resulting in a net difference of +4.9, higher than Barry's +4.0, over a significantly larger sample size.

So that's the backing behind that statement that I made. You're welcome.

Now, please explain to me your Barry/Daniels Win/Loss Correlation Theory, specifically as to Barry at the 1 slot. I'm eager to hear about it.

Relax, jacko, no brent barry for you, no brian cardinal for me. Sh-t happens and life goes on. No need to make an ass of yourself when it does.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Image removed... :)

#143 AroundTheWorld, Jul 10, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2004
  4. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

By the way...Daniels as the starting PG last year:

32 games, 27.6 mpg, .424 FG%, .314 3%, .867 FT%, 1.3 TO, 2.4 reb, 5.9 ast, 9.7 ppg.

His best month was February when he put up 11 points, 7 assists, and 1.2 TOs in 14 games.

If he somehow were to come here I would guess he could put up around 10 and 5 - 5.5 apg.

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

By the way, 82games is the same source that has Braggs, Padgett and Oakley as our most efficient players last year...

Braggs +12.4 +1.3 +11.1
    Padgett +7.2 +0.8 +6.5
    Oakley +8.1 +1.6 +6.5

6. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

SJC,

I would guess the admins don't like it when images are posted with profanity since those things are filtered when text. As such, that was inappropriate.

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Good point...I'll take it down :).

8. omair

omair Contributing Member

Is it just me? Or is this the same freakin' Charlie Ward that snubbed the Rockets last year to go to the Spurs after his contract got bought out? And yes, I wonder about his numbers, too. This offseason, put the pedal to the metal with Gaines and start him when the season comes. He's just as good as Dwyane Wade and Dwyane Wade made the Heat starting lineup. Gaines will do the same.

9. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Wow.

10. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

That was one of the reasons I was squeemish at tossing so much money at Barry as well. Problem is still with us: who will play the point? My gut keeps telling me it'll be Charlie Ward and if that's the case, my expectations for the upcoming season will take a huge tumble.

11. d man

d man Member

freak! i thought barry was our first option. if this is true ... then we have to go with plan b, and plan b is never better than your first option. bla bla .... who cares barry would have been ok but not spetacular ... jones can fill the role, but theres a reason he hasn't stuck anywhere in the league as a starter ... sura is an intersting option, but still a gamble. i hate to say it, but if you want a pt who can driddle, pass, play d, make a bucket, i reitterate dribble and pass , you should take fisher. And chase down a big man to give yao his much needed rest ... i say, even though most won't agree, osterfag ... big and adequate, forget his past ties ... even though i think its a good thing to come from that system, character to stay there as long as he has.

12. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

No, Les is the one who turned down Charlie Ward last year, because he didn't like published comments that Ward made during a Christian Bible Study, which seemed antisemitic, and stirred up a big controversy in the press. Other than this one-time controversy, Ward has been a model citizen in the NBA.

Here's a few articles from various sides of that debate:

<a href="http://www.thejewishweek.com/news/newscontent.php3?artid=4398">The Jewish Week: Theologians Cry Foul Over Ward Remarks</a>

<a href="http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1058/is_15_118/ai_75089665">Christian Century: Guidance Needed - Charlie Ward's antisemitic remarks</a>

<a href="http://www.metatronics.net/dabbler/ward.html">Dabbler: In Defense of Charlie Ward<a/>

#152 Sherlock, Jul 10, 2004
  13. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Charlie Ward seems to be a temporary signing, if we do get him....but...

I'm SOLD on Daniels and Jones as my top two PG! :cool: Either player is a good pick.

Each brings their own style; Daniel's more so a tall/long athletic lead guard (strength; 6'4" and fast-breaking PG; high-flyer, VERY large hands; very low TO). And Jones, a low, center of gravity, ball handling, PG (strength; interior passing; large hands; low TO).

Both have good stats in the PG position. Over-all (stat wise) Daniel's edges out Jones in FG% (52% vs 40%), FT% (85% vs 76%) and TOs (0.9 vs 1.3). Assist comparison is based on their styles and role on their current teams (Daniel's: 4.2apg vs Jones: 5.8apg).

Jones, more so, a ball handling/passing guard, understandably -- due to the the style they play - has more assist per game (5.8 vs 4.2). Daniel's very low TO rate (0.9). Both very low TO players. Their TOs are so low that this is less to do with "stats" and more a question of how they will be used on the Rockets. It's all about what "style/skill" do we want?

Three-point shooting is a wash (D: 36% vs J: 35%), even though their attempts per game is slightly different (D: 1.6 vs J: 3.3). Eh...(shrug). Barry is NOT available! ;)

I'm leaning towards Daniel's. This decision is based on, not only the stats above, but all the games I've seen him over the last seven years; decision making, defense, quickness, tenacity, poise, and late game clutch ability.

http://www.journaltimes.com/articles/2004/07/09/local_sports/iq_2980030.txt

"The scuttlebutt is Jones could end up in Minnesota if the Timberwolves don't re-sign Troy Hudson. Jones' leverage was enhanced Wednesday when Rafer Alston, a former Bucks guard, signed a six-year, $26 million contract with Toronto."

More FA...some of which may have already been signed...

Other unrestricted free agents of note include Karl Malone (Lakers), Stephen Jackson (Atlanta), Eric Williams (Cleveland), Derek Fisher (Lakers) and Antonio McDyess (Suns).

Other unrestricted free agents some teams may go after, depending on their needs: Vlade Divac (Sacramento), Darius Miles (Portland), Travis Best (Mavericks), Anthony Peeler (Kings), Brian Skinner (Milwaukee), Greg Ostertag (Jazz), Rafer Alston (Miami), Slava Medvedenko (Lakers), Tom Gugliotta (Jazz), Damon Jones (Bucks), Troy Hudson (Minnesota), Jon Barry (Nuggets) and Keon Clark (Jazz).

Restricted free agents who should generate interest: Quentin Richardson (Clippers), Stromile Swift (Memphis), Etan Thomas (Wizards), Morris Peterson (Toronto), Rasual Butler (Heat), Hedo Turkoglu (Spurs), Jamal Crawford (Chicago) and Mehmet Okur (Pistons),

#153 DavidS, Jul 10, 2004
  14. swong126

swong126 Contributing Member

Are you guys sure Barry gonna go with the Spurs.....Doesnt make sense.....the got parker and resign ginobili and barry to small to play SF? I hope he doesnt. Are we offering more yrs and more money.

15. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

He can play back up point and shooting guard allowing them a very talented three guard rotation. I hate that he signed with them. His shooting is just what the Spurs need.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Uh no, jacko, wrong again, that is their raw, unadjusted plus minus statistics, those are not their net PER (player efficiency ratings), which is what I was referring to. That, and hundreds of other statistics are available to anybody who bothers to click through the first few pages, which apparently you didn't

I do agree that, due to the small sample size for those individuals, the statistics are meaningless; which is precisely why it was a statistic that I did not refer to.

I hope your little picture show worked out better than this lifeless retort, I guess I missed it. You'll just have to chase me around to another thread and try again; you're sort of going backwards here today.

17. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Bingo! They seemed like they couldn't hit an outside shot in the play-offs (vs Lakers).
    A slight contrast to previous years; lost some key shooters.

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Why are you always so angry? :confused:

19. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Im pretty sure Jacko is a term of endearment.

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

;)