1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Paolo Banchero as a ORL Magic thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TimDuncanDonaut, Jun 26, 2022.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The big advantage Paolo has is

Bol Bol
    @Reeko
    @Os Trigonum
    @Jontro

2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol it also helps he plays more than 6 minutes a night

tinman likes this.
  3. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Paolo doing exactly what many of us expected. If you watched 5 minutes of his college games you saw his unprecedented handle, playmaking, footwork and dribble drive scoring ability for a guy his size.

Smith will be fine and will be a valuable piece but Banchero was the top talent no doubt. Too bad the Magic realized it.

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Ahhh yes reading through the GARM meltdowns it got me thinking about all those ball experts who said "Sengun and Paolo are redundant talents and cant play together" -- good times. Sheesh this team could use a 2nd playmaker in the worst way. Nope - Sengun aint it no matter how much time and plays you run for him.

Things could be worse I guess we could have ended up with Ivey or Sharpe ::shudder:: eventually Jabari Smith will be automatic with wide open shots right? RIGHT!!??

Now the hot topic is Scoot Henderson yeah? So that means draft ANYONE but Scoot Henderson! LOL

mario_v and tinman like this.
  5. tinman

Supporting Member

I might go to that Orlando game now
    I want to see the battle of the young rebuilds

Verbal Christ likes this.
  6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Should be a heavy dose of reality for some guys.

Yung-T and tinman like this.
  7. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

No kidding, I haven't gone back to the summer GARM discussions but still baffles me that people couldn't see Paolo's talent.

People talking about "draft Ivey"...

I'm hoping for the best with Jabari and I think he'll be fine but we really need Henderson in the worst possible way.

8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Id rather run Amen Thompson at point honestly. Scoot is exciting. His outside shot is a little sketch and his size is not my ideal. Mouse in the house would be real with him. Great court vision and appeals to the “natural” point guard archetype.

Paolo is going to be special. Crazy how good he looks already. Made himself at home in the NBA as a 19 yr old. Doesn’t need to be set up or coddled. Pure hooper. We should have traded up.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

There was no trade up happening.

One of the post draft insider articles debunked the idea that Orlando was working some crazy ruse, they just changed their mind in the last few days and then picked the guy they wanted.

That was all there was to it.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

Ours or theirs ?
    This better not be a three point shooting contest because I think Bol Bol would win

11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

It will be interesting watching Sengun defend Paolo and vice versa - watch the dynamic of their play styles in respect to the amatuer perspective of fit from the conversation before the draft. Is there any doubt who would win in a 3 point shootout between Paolo and Alpy?

12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The few Magic games I’ve caught on League Pass left me with two first impressions: Banchero tries to do too much and he’s doing too much because he CAN do it. Kid is as good as advertised.

jiggyfly and Verbal Christ like this.
  13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Maybe. Everything has its price in todays society. I guess we'll never know.

14. SamFisher

15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

If thats what you choose to believe thats fine. Hard to believe anything when one day Stone is having lunch with Paolo and then Stone proclaims that Jabari was his target all along! Posturing on both ends IMO.

It was surprise for everyone that 20 minutes before the draft ORL changed their minds. Didnt give much time to entertain alternatives. Good for them they chose right.

16. SamFisher

Based on evidence, I don't think it's that hard to believe that Orlando genuinely changed its mind in the last few days rather than was trying to work a super-secret false flag trade plan.

I mean,you have on the record evidence that that is exactly what happened, as for the secret trade plan - there is literally no evidence other than a bunch of NBA tweeters and podcasters with no first hand knowledge wondering that after the fact.

There's no credible reporting that the Magic offered the 1st pick to anybody that I recall or had any intention of doing so. There's no credible reporting they were working a trade ruse.

I will indeed believe what I choose to believe - which is also what actually happned, based on the best evidence I have.

17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

IF they would have changed their minds within days Im sure the news would spill. I didnt make the claim that there was a trade proposal that ORL would accept, only that Stone should have picked up the phone and seen what it would take. Maybe there were conversations and ORL was just looney with what they expected in return. One article does not the truth create for me, but like I said believe what you want its chasing the wind. Paolo is on his way to legend status with ORL and we have a nice 3&D guy. Yay!

18. SamFisher

It might've spilled to someone that's why the draft night betting odds changed.

Again - there's no actual reporting that Orl ever offered the #1 selection to anyone (ans actual reporting that they didn't) so not sure what else there is to say here

19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Like I said when the news drops 20 minutes before the draft it kind of makes any type of trade talk hard to manifest. Maybe by design. Its all hindsight anyway.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He was the guy I wanted, him or Chet.......we got clearly the lessor at this time.

DD