1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Playoffs Watch Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by marks0223, Oct 5, 2022.

1. jjsmooth

jjsmooth Member

Well thanks for ruining my plans for tonight...

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just call me Buzz Killington

jjsmooth likes this.
  3. SuraGotMadHops

Well shoot, that makes me feel even worse about losing 2019.

everyday eddie and Major like this.
  4. SuraGotMadHops

My feelings exactly. I am very concerned about this matchup. Instinctually and historical wise, I don't just see us taking this series. Boy I hope I am wrong.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Stephen A. Smith predicts we're going to sweep. We're screwed now..

seclusion and conquistador#11 like this.
  6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The average postseason start in 2019 was just over 5 IP/GS. All their WS starts were either average in depth or deeper than normal. Three of their wins were with three relievers or less and a starter (or 2). The other was a blow out.

I think the charactorization that the Nationals won by starters going deep and avoiding middle relievers is mostly correct in their wins. The correction would be that the Nationals used Corbin, a starter, like the Astros have used Javier to avoid pitching their mediocre relievers too much in high leverage situations.

7. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I am digging deeper into the matchup but I think the matchup favors the Astros quite a bit.

Still gotta play the games but I think it's their turn.

If the Phillies have an advantage, it's hitting and 4 days off and good deep pitching is the best way to neutralize it.

The top 5 Phillies hitters all strike out 21 % or more often. Among the Astros top 6, only Pena is 19% or higher.

The Astros are much better pitching and defensive team and they have the experience.

Astros in 6.

8. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

IMHO just like the Yankees series it comes down to limiting HRs from our SP.

I’m not expecting 8-9 runs from our offense but I do expect our starters to continue to limit the damage.

On offense we need to apply pressure to their sub par defense. I need some stolen bases and windmill Pettis.

9. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

I think some of us are still shell shocked from 2019 and 2021. This is a different Astros team than both those teams.

10. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Is he well? Will he be back for the World Series? Hadn't heard any news.

AkeemTheDreem86 likes this.
  11. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

that stupid Walgreens ad keeps coming up giving me bad memories

12. Screaming Fist

It will be interesting to see how the Phillies attack the Alvarez/Bregman/Tucker trio with their pen. Roberton and Suarez are good against LHB but not so good against RHB. Of their relievers only Alvardo appears to be quite good against both LHB and RHB and he won't be used until late.

13. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

14. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Looking at it from a balanced logical viewpoint, one or more of Altuve, Tucker, Mancini will turn it around for the World Series. I don’t say Alvarez there because he already started turning it around the last game.

Altuve, Tucker, and Mancini I feel like will be the X factor. These guys are too good and experienced to not turn it around for the World Series. I don’t know if all 3 will, but if we can get 1 or 2 of them to play at the level they can then I think we take this series pretty handily.

15. worldlyman

worldlyman Member

Some very concerning trivia on the eve of the 2022 World Series.

Only THREE times in MLB playoff history has a team come from behind more than 7 runs:
    1929 Philadelphia Athletics
    2008 Boston Red Sox
    2022 Seattle Mariners

(Catastrophic stock market crashes took place in '29 and '08...what are we looking at for 2022?)

Notice who WON it all during those seasons:
    1929 Philadelphia Athletics
    2008 Philadelphia Phillies
    2022 ??

Seems kind of funky and disheartening. And this pic reeks of "predictive programming" in conspiracy theory terminology.

Regardless, Go 'stros!

everyday eddie likes this.
  16. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I'm as nervous as anyone but I'm tired af of seeing all the negative BS in here. It's okay to be cautiously optimistic without painting a doomsday scenario before a single pitch is even thrown.

This is going to be a tough series, regardless of how many games it goes. Let's ****ing get this done.

rpr52121, crose, JeeberD and 3 others like this.