1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CD on 610 With Rich and Charlie

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by benzman501, Jul 9, 2004.

Tags:
  1. benzman501

benzman501 Member

He said..
    - Rudy will be missed

-They have targeted indivuduals for the MLE and the Trade Exception

-This week they have been working on bettering the team and this coming week they will look more at free agents

-Contracts are going nuts and that will hurt the Rockets for a big man back-up

-Did some stuff with J. McClain

Thats all at the moment

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Good stuff. I like hearing that they have individuals targeted with the Trade Exception. No surprise that the huge contracts are hurting the Rockets for a big man backup. Look what Mark Blount and Brian Skinner got.

I dont think you can get VALUE using the MLE to get a Big. I think the Trade Exception is the best way to go. That way you can get a Big that has less years on their contract in case they are a bust.

Getting Barry with the full MLE and perhaps a Battie with the Trade Exception seems like a good way to go.

3. benzman501

benzman501 Member

-He also spoke about Les Alexanders commitment to winning

-When asking about Yao playing ball year round he says that he met Yao in Dallas and says that he feels great with 2 months off and says Anthony Falsom is with Yao in China and is working with him

4. scotia

scotia Contributing Member

That's great news, thx:D

5. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

That's good news. I don't know why the Rox haven't hired a full-time trainer/nutritionist for Yao. It would be well worth the cost if the guy could turn Yao into a physical monster.

6. UTrocket

UTrocket Member

Glad to hear they are trying to use the TE and not just letting it expire to save $ or luxury tax $. We should be able to get a couple good players with the TE and the MLE.

7. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Good Lord. It sounds like we're actually going to regret giving up Cato in the trade.

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I dont think so. I think that's where the T.E. will come into play. We can grab a Big using that and most likely that Big will be midway through their 5 year deal which would allow us to get someone that has 2-3 years remaining. That would be perfect for a back up Big.

Like I said, you just cant get VALUE with the MLE in terms of Bigs. Blount, Skinner, Foyle etc, etc. Just way over priced.

9. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Working on bettering the team? Does that mean they were looking for trade possiblities? I would think signing free agents would be bettering the team which is what he said they would do this week.

Can someone elaborate on what he said on this subject, please.

10. We're Back

We're Back Member

Everyone keeps on bringing up our need for a quality back-up. When you are lucky enough to have a super-star starting at the 5 you don't worry about who's backing him up too much. We won a ring with Charles Jones backing up Dream. All you need is a guy with size that can eat up some minutes and use his 6 fouls. Anything else is gravy.

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

But that's with Hakeem being Hakeem. He could go for 40 minutes a night if he needed to. Yao can't...yet. So that's why a quality back up, one that provides muscle and shot blocking, is important. Howard and Taylor are somewhat soft PFs and ones that dont provide shot blocking. We need to give Yao rest and have a decent C to be able to anchor the defense.

12. Panda

Panda Member

Yao played 32 minutes last year, I think he'll be able to play 35 minutes this year. That leaves just 13 minutes at the backup spot. I doubt it's worth it to spend the entire TE on a 13 minutes player. Sounds like another Cato contract.

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

Bring back Collier. He can be had for the MLE. Plus he'll be another 15th draftee scrub. Gotta catch' em all.

14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the 13 minutes per game the back-up will play behind yao isnt why we need one. with cato gone yao is our only shot blocker. that means he will be in foul trouble a lot. a quality back-up would help stop the bleeding until he can come back in.

15. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Cato's contract is actually beginning to look reasonable compared to the contracts some of the other big men are getting. I can't believe I just said that

16. New Jack

New Jack Member

I'd prefer if the Rockets get a shot blocking power forward that can play some backup minutes at the 5. Then look to trade Howard or Taylor.

That would be better than wasting 5 mil. or so on a full time backup center that will only play 13 minutes a game.

17. Raven

Raven Member

Collier could probably be had for the minimum.

18. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Member

Eddie Griffin will be the answer for shotblocking with Yao.

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

my guess is that we keep howard and look to trade mo or spoon.

20. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Keon Clark, guys.

We need an underachiever on the team now that Cato's gone.