1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A question regarding Yao's salary

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by feishen, Jul 8, 2004.

Tags:
  1. feishen

feishen Member

I think Yao's on the rookie contract at 4.5M average for 4 years. He is on the 4 year contract because he was first round drafted. Calos Boozer was selected the same year as Yao, but at 2nd round. So he is a free agent this summer. Words are that Cavs is going to sign him at 7M average for the next 6 years. That means he is going to make 3M more than Yao for the next 2 years, 6 mil total. That sucks for our big guy. Would it have been better if he was selected 2nd round, and could now sign probably a max contract. If that way, he could be losing more than 15 mil for the next two years.
    I know I am just bored.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

.......................:confused:

3. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

Money is not an issue for Yao. I think Last year he already got 14m

4. Alibabayomama

Alibabayomama Member

BUT, since he was drafted 1st round, he gets all those endorsements...

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

6. feishen

feishen Member

Jackie, you are what this competition is all about!

7. bob718

bob718 Contributing Member

If Yao was selected in the 2nd round, he would have got less minutes than Boki IMO.
    If Yao was selected in the 2nd round, he would be no better than Cato at this time.
    He needs time(on court) to learn how to play in the nba style.

8. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

bob: Everything u said is FALSE.

There would have been no way in hell YM would have slid to the 2nd round. He was a lock for the top 3 spots.

9. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Not necessarily. He was hyped so people know about him. You can argue, now looking back, Wang Zhizhi certainly is a lottery pick for a 7 footer who can shoot the lights out. But not many knew about him and there was big risk with his Chinese army team. So he didn't get in until 2nd round.

10. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Is this why we're getting all these random/redundant threads? Do people just get the urge to post the first thing that enters their heads when they get bored?

"why no news about the rockets"

"Rockets' gain = Warriors' pain"

"wassup with E Griffin lately"

"How many games until Stevie Demands to be traded?"

"Fantasy Head Coach"

"Guess what?"

I guess that's the offseason.

11. feishen

feishen Member

And You are replying it. :D

12. bob718

Guess what, I was just wondering in how many years Yao would finally become a top 5 player in the league and a mvp contender.

2 years?
    4 years?
    Never?

Should I start a new poll?:rolleyes:

13. UTrocket

UTrocket Member

Several thoughts on your question...

1. Because Boozer was selected in the 2nd round his money was never guaranteed = bad thing. Yao's money is guaranteed plus all the endorsements from being picked #1.

2. Max contracts are based on the number of years in the league. I'm not sure the difference between 2 and 3 years but Yao can (and will) sign an extension after next season I think.

3. Because Boozer only has 2 years with the Cavs they don't have his full Bird rights which means they can't go over the cap to sign him. This is a disadvantage for Boozer and the Cavs because they can't pay him a max contract unless they have cap space (which they don't). Other teams with cap space could pay him a max deal but this would obviously suck for the Cavs. And Boozer would get less money because you can get 12.5% annual raises with your current team and 10% annual raises with a new team. So the Cavs can only pay him with their MLE (or early bird rights) which turns out to be $41M over 6 years. We did something similar with Mobely.

4. Yao can sign an extension after next year for a max contract. We would have his full bird rights after next season so we can go over the cap. Furthermore, the max contract for a player is determined by the number of years in the league. Thus Yao's max contract next year would be for more $ than Boozer's max contract this year.

So in the end I'm pretty sure Yao will make out better than Boozer but he'll have to wait a year.

14. feishen

feishen Member

Yeah, You are right, from team's point of view, it wouldnt work out. Utah just got Booz.
    The other thing is I think Yao has to wait for two years because the 4th year is team's option with 26.1% raise. As matter of fact, I think the current contract is 4 year for 18M. The 5th year, Yao will be RFA.

15. bob718

How many players have already got a max contract? Who are they?
    May someone recommend me a website where I could find it out?:)

16. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

Rox will sign Yao to extension right after next season. We couldn't
    afford too much drama around our franchise center.

17. micah1j

micah1j Member

h o o p s h y p e . c o m

18. rvpals

rvpals Member

Yeah, it does seem pretty stupid by looking at these threads' title.

Long and boring summer, here we go

19. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Then Boozer is making more money than Lebron too. Yes, Boozer will be making more money, but he was also making less than 1M the last 2 seasons.

1st rounders are guaranteed a contract, 2nd rounder aren't.