1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If teams are tanking for Wemby the Rockets should....?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 5, 2022.

?

What would you do as teams position themselves to tank for Wemby/Henderson

Poll closed Dec 7, 2022.
  1. A. Take advantage of those rolling the dice on very low odds.

50 vote(s)
    25.9%
  2. B. Tank with them - let's take our shot too

143 vote(s)
    74.1%
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's really not though. If the team that ended the season played the entire season they win significantly more than 25 games. Hell if you could just take Jalen Green from the end of the season and have him from the start, the Rockets might win 30.

Adding to the team you had at the end of last season and being worse than the team that ended last season would be a disaster.

2. King1

King1 Contributing Member

They are starting KPJ so obviously they are still tanking

palmsnbananas likes this.
  3. CircaSurvive

CircaSurvive Member

Call me crazy but I think it's entirely plausible we can go deeper into our bench to tank while also developing our main guys.

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I heard that Wemby doesn't even like Houston and that's coming from an anonymous imaginary source.

5. Ancient Moabite

The Rockets are in the Wemby sweepstakes organically when they decided to go full blown rebuild mode, which is really starting year 2 of it since they have had two lottery picks since it began with Green and now with J Smith, also with the other nice picks to go along with those two

now depending on what selection tier it will end up in remains to be seen but the main focus should be supreme high reps for the past two draft selected players and being highly competitive in games regardless of the outcome because full blown rebuilds take at the minimum 3 years, regardless if you draft a Shaq/KD etc. (though that speeds up the faith-hope process significantly).

27 to maybe 33/35 wins (max) is probably where they end up, and if they are super lucky, they may end up with a top 2/3 pick again, the NBA is a business first and last and they need a new young team to latch on to who has a player(s) that are marketable with the game to back it up, Rockets are trending in that direction with their young talent.

6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The great Rockets tank debate

“We’re going to throw our whole season away for a 14 percent chance at Victor Wembenyama?”

Absolutely not. We’d be throwing away our whole season for a 100 percent chance to draft one of Victor Wembenyama, Scoot Henderson, Amen Thompson, Cam Whitmore or Nick Smith. If the Rockets were the second or third-worst team in the NBA, you could expand that list to include Dariq Whitehead, Ausar Thompson, Keyonte George or whoever you like. The point is this:

This draft is deep. This is a “shoot for the moon” situation — the teams with the top lottery odds will be among the stars either way.

https://www.thedreamshake.com/2022/...banyama-scoot-henderson-jalen-green-nba-draft

--------------------------- --------------------- -------------------

Is this draft deep? I thought it top heavy.

7. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Continue to play Rockets basketball and whatever you do don’t listen @DaDakota ;)

King1 and bumbum09 like this.
  8. StevieCrossover

Got a chance to get a once in a century player, I say take it. Going to turn your franchise into gold.

9. bumbum09

bumbum09 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

BigShasta likes this.
  10. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

I watch the clips and think which is the craziest, but they're all crazy. Is it the fading right 3 he makes look simple or the step back 3 from the hash, the baseline turnaround J's or the crazy handles. He runs the court like a gazelle, attacks the rim and all shots at it like a hawk. Seems like a terrible fit. I'm sure any of our bigs will be able to handle him no doubt.

BigShasta likes this.
  11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nope, that would be a major mistake....players would leave if they are told to tank.

Tanking is over.

DD

coachbadlee likes this.
  12. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

So JG, Bari, Tari and whoever, wouldn't want to play with Wemby? The kid that ALL of their heros are on record screaming his praises? Some people reference Lebron's take on certain players like it matters, but ignore his take that Wemby's "not a unicorn, he's an alien". Then there's many other explayers stating "the league is not ready for him".

I'm sure those guys would hate having him on their side. LOL. Don't skimp out on the reply... would love to hear the argument.

Corrosion likes this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It'll be whatever the tanking crew needs it to be in order to justify the Rockets becoming the Sacramento Kings and being a joke every single year.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  14. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I thought you wanted to be the kings…..why the change of heart now? Didn’t you want to shoot for the playin game instead of tanking? Kings 101!

15. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

What an ugly loss to Miami's 3rd stringers! Time to tank for Wemby!

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Based on how the preseason looks
    We are about to land
    Ho So Fat
    @Jontro

J.R., ROCK3TM4N and Jontro like this.
  17. DaDakota

We have less than a 15% chance AT BEST of getting him we had the worst record in the league the last 2 years and didnt' get the top pick.

You don't tank for maybes.

We have our core, we need to build around them....

Must keep in order of importance.
    1. Jabari
    2. Green
    3. KPJ
    4. Eason

Should keep unless we can get a star player that fits better.
    5. Sengun
    6. KMJ
    7. Tate
    8. Fernando

The rest can be traded for picks or anyone below 4 on my list could also be traded, keep the top 4.

DD

coachbadlee likes this.
  18. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

B
    Be real. Jalen matters. Jabari matters. Tari has a chance. The rest don’t matter

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  19. DaDakota

I am being real - 4 matter, Eason, KPJ, Green and Smith....with Jabari being the most important.

DD

20. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I look at it from a trade perspective. Would a team wanting kpj thrown in hinder a trade? Of course not. Would green or jabari? Absolutely untouchable at the moment. Tari is hard to say since he has played 0 games but i like him a lot, he would be 3rd and that’s where the list ends