1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cat Mobley disrepected by Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Jul 2, 2004.

1. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Oh, and Juwan Howard helped the Wizards reach the playoffs in 1995 for the first time in 10 years, and he helped the Mavericks reach the playoffs in 2002 for the first time in 11 years, courtesy of NBA.com.

2. dandorotik

Oops, that was supposed to be the Mavericks in 2000-2001.

3. JTMoore

JTMoore New Member

I can't tell if this thread is a joke or not........although it unfortunately appears to be serious.

I'm not sure if there is a wire lose or something, but the only way this thread makes ANY sense is if you actually expected the Rockets to retire Mobley's number.......and that is even funnier than the premise of this thread.

4. JTMoore

JTMoore New Member

Not to mention, what exactly is this "legacy" you speak of.

Hey, I like Mobley.....but let's not kid ourselves, his legacy is one of taking too many bad shots and leading the Rockets to exactly one playoff win in his career. Now I understand a person's legacy is usually subjective, but not in this instance......I'd say it's pretty clear and pretty...........blah.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

when i think of the last 5 years of rockets basketball...particularly in relation to the other years of the franchise's history...the word "legacy" really doesn't come to mind.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Here's an excerpt from a FLORIDA PAPER:
    http://www.floridatoday.com/!NEWSROOM/columnstoryS0630PETETE.htm

The Magic also dumped Juwan Howard's crippling salary. He's a nice player, and a nice guy, but slow and woefully inconsistent on short jumpers, which should normally be a power forward's bread and butter. Besides, Howard's best years, which were always fairly mediocre anyway, are behind him. Yeah, Howard could've helped this upcoming season. But if the other Howard, and that would be former prep sensation Dwight Howard, develops as quickly as the Magic say he will, then it's good for Orlando to get out from underneath Juwan's contract a year too soon, rather than a year too late.

Here's a quote from the MAGIC PRESS RELEASE:
    http://www.sportsfeatures.com/PressPoint/show.php?id=10138
    At his age he’s on a six year contract for a lot of money and that part of it made it in the best interest of the organization and our future growth to put him in the deal.

Dandarok,
    I guess you really werent aware of Juwan's saga since you had to go to NBA.com to see if he made the PLAYOFFS!! Juwan was TRADED to a playoff bound team. He DIDN'T do anything to help them. If Dallas liked him so much, why did he get replaced by scrubs like Najara and Raef LaFrenz?

I'm sure you were aware that he and CHRIS WEBBER were part of the FAB 5 team in Michigan. The Wizards made the mistake of assuming that he and Webber would do well in the NBA together because they were 'TEAMMATES'. Let me put you back in time... That Wizards team had RASHEED WALLACE and CHRIS WEBBER!!!

If Juwan was so good, why did the Magic DUMP him after 1 year?? They could have traded any other player. But they chose him??

Dandarok,
    He's HEAD AND SHOULDERS the most overated player of all time. I hope he does well here, but if history repeats itsself, I'd trade him for any of the AND1 ballers.

7. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

dude - those are FLorida papers - since you have spent all your time J Howard bashing and haven't been paying ANY attention to what has been going on there - please allow me to enlighten you.

See tin-ny the Olando Magic camp has just let a future hall of famer and top 3 player go to a contending team - for a couple of spare parts and a good PG (even after drafting one) - they are in the HIGHEST LEVELS of the SPIN ZONE right now (even though Orlando DID sign the guy to that contract last season).

Quote us some objective sources on this Howard-sux issue (NOT including a fanstasy forecasts)

8. dandorotik

OK, then explain Jim Jackson.

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

10. Willis25

here is an excerpt from another FLORIDA paper... when they signed JH (before the spin)

http://www.staugustine.com/stories/071703/spo_1673200.shtml

ORLANDO -- The Orlando Magic signed forward Juwan Howard on Wednesday, hoping they have found a second scoring option behind Tracy McGrady.

Howard, a nine-year veteran, has averaged 17.9 points and 7.5 rebounds in 649 career games with Washington, Dallas and Denver. Last season, he led the Nuggets in scoring (18.4 points per game) and rebounding (7.6 rebounds per game).

Terms of the deal were not disclosed, but the five-year contract has been reported to be worth between $28 million and $38 million.

Denver, Minnesota and Detroit were also interested in signing Howard.

Although the Nuggets offered more money, Howard said the Magic provided the best opportunity for postseason success. He has reached the playoffs twice -- a first-round sweep with Washington in 1997 and advancing to the second round with the Mavericks in 2001.

"I want to win," Howard said. "I've never had the opportunity to win, other than a short time in Dallas."

11. dandorotik

"Dandarok,
    I guess you really werent aware of Juwan's saga since you had to go to NBA.com to see if he made the PLAYOFFS!!"

No, I wasn't. I don't follow every aspect of the NBA and, quite frankly, could have cared less about Juwan Howard's record with other teams. I just knew that he had been to the playoffs twice, so I wanted to verify that.

For you to be that insulting towards another player and then say that you "hope he does well" as a Rocket- yeah, right.

I don't overstate nor understate him. He's a good-to-very good player, but definitely not a great one. On the other hand, he's not a tanker, scrub, cancer, poison, bench-warmer, loser, 13th man, hex, curse, affliction, calamity, jinx, plague, black cat, two-sided nickel, or evil incarnate, either.

He's a 17/7, occasionally high-scoring, mostly little defense-playing, nice-guy member of the Rockets, period.

12. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

excellent thread! ;)

13. Willis25

well stated !

I would have said, "not-known-for-his defense, nice guy..." since his Bullet/Wizzards, Mavericks, Nuggets and Magic teams, were not defensive oriented. I am not holding my breath - but lets wait and see what JVG can do him before saying he is out-and-out BAD on defense

14. tinman

Supporting Member

Alright Willis!
    [​IMG]

15. Nova

Nova Member

tinman, I agree with many of your points about Howard's weaknesses and many more about Mobley's strengths.

BUT, I don't think that giving Howard the #5 is the biggest disgrace in the world... it's just not that important to me. I don't know why. I love Cat and all, but still...

Hell, I think it's stupid for ANY number from ANY player to be unusable after that player's jersey is retired. It's just stupid and pointless.

16. Munozadj

Munozadj Contributing Member

In my opinion, the only players that deserve a retirement number are Sam Cassell, Bob Horry, and Mario Elie. The Otis Thorpe number should be up for debate, cause I don't know if he can be considered the main reason like Clyde to get into the finals or not, despite the good rebounding the the high shot %.

Retire Mario's now, since he isn't playing any longer. He really deserves it. He's the obvious reason we have two championships, although, I think he's as slow as a turtle on the court but really having nothing to do with it.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

Muno,

I agree with you totally. You can tell that Cassell plays with passion every night, same with Mario, and Robert Horry past April. Replacing a Mario Elie or a Cassell is almost impossible. I know that the last 5 or so years, the Rockets have lacked some emotion or dedication. When I think of Cuttino, I think of a dedicated Rocket. He was not as talented as Steve, but he worked really hard to improve himself. I wish him luck and when I see #5 I'd like to think of Cuttino Mobley not Juwan Howard.

If Cuttino and Howard meet, I'll want the Rockets player to block the non-Rockets player shot. But if Howard gets dunked on, I'll definetly the first one at Toyota Center to yell 'HOWARD YOU SUCK, BRING BACK KENNY THOMAS!'

[​IMG]

18. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

some great photoshopping/pics in this thread.

keep it up guys.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

Ed_TX,

If you were traded as much as Juwan, you'd look to do anything to save money on furniture.
    [​IMG] :p

20. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

You argue that Drexler shouldn't get his number retired based on his number of games as a Rocket then comes back and say Sam Cassell should? Btw, Drexler played both more seasons and more thans (10 more) than Cassell did in a Houston uniform. I won't even bother arguing with your other ridiculous rants.