1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets reach buyout agreement with John Wall

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 27, 2022.

1. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Funny , you don’t know me or what I’ve done yet you know John Wall trumps me at life! LOL! If that’s the case, so does Bill Cosby, Harvey Weinstein and Bernie Madoff. They all donated millions but were all POS’s.

And what grown man runs around throwing up gang signs anyways? It’s ridiculous.That alone makes him an idiot. But hang on his every word, GOOD LUCK with that.

#281 TEXNIFICENT, Sep 3, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
    Pistol Pete and Salvy like this.
  2. hakeemthagreat

John Wall donates and actually is IN the communities he contributes too. He's face to face with the people. That's what separates him. Him making a MISTAKE doesn't erase the 99% good he's done. The communities love John Wall

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How loud and ignorant can somebody be.

You out here actually caring about somebody throwing up gang signs as if that makes a bit of difference.

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Mr Community!

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  5. i3artow i3aller

6. i3artow i3aller

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Wouldn't have effected his trade value though I'd rather have 1 foot Wall over Westbrook.

luckyman76 likes this.
  8. Ancient Moabite

If you look at it from your angle most all those entertainers / celebrities are in the same boat, and what is the diff. from grown men throwing up gang signs and those grown men in the NBA who throw up the 3 finger sign which is actually free mason (gang) sign?

9. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I think his value would have been higher if you could use the DPE

luckyman76 and SamFisher like this.
  10. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

“Mutual decision” sounds so cordial.

Yet when the Houston Rockets told John Wall their unwelcome plan back in September 2021, informing the five-time All-Star that he would barely play in the coming season because of their youth movement, there was nothing cordial about his response.

“Pissed as hell,” Wall told The Athletic recently. “Pissed as hell. I wanted to play basketball.”

Can you really blame him?

After everything Wall had been through, from the Achilles tendon tear in February 2019 to the death of his beloved mother, Frances Pulley, from cancer eight months later to the Washington Wizards’ choice to trade him to Houston in December 2020 that sent him down the darkest of roads in the months that followed, Wall had already endured plenty of painful moments. To hear that his career was in serious jeopardy, with Rockets officials explaining that he would only play sporadically and would be better off heading home while they pursued a trade, was enough to make him wonder if he’d ever find a way back on the court again.

But now he’s back, as he declared in the summertime run with new Clippers teammate Paul George in which he shouted those very words. Or, as he put it in the Players’ Tribune piece last month, he’s “still here.”

[...]

What’s the backstory on how you got here (with the Clippers). You’re sitting in Houston, and I’m sure you’re frustrated at the choice they made. I don’t want to speak for you, but I’m pretty confident you were frustrated.

Pissed as hell. Pissed as hell. I wanted to play basketball. In my last meeting I had there, they were like, ‘Oh, you had a great year the year before. We can’t wait to have you back next year. Build on this, and try to keep helping young guys.’ So I’m thinking I’ll play the same role I played the year before.

Who were you talking to?

I’m talking to (Rockets coach Stephen) Silas, and I ended up talking to (Rockets general manager) Rafael (Stone) too. Those are great guys, and I ended up talking to both of them. It’s the exit meeting, so you’re talking to both of them back-to-back. And I’m thinking, ‘OK, I’m coming back here next year. And I want to be in a winning situation, but whatever position God put me in, I’m built for it. I can get through it. I just want to help as much as I can.’ And I felt like I deserved to play, like I deserved to start. (But) if you drafted a guy No. 1, or No. 2, and he’s a point guard, like I totally get it. I’m not mad about that.

The Rockets traded with Cleveland for Kevin Porter Jr. in January 2021, then drafted another young guard in Jalen Green six months later (second overall) to round out their backcourt of the future.

So that was kind of tough for me to be in that situation, because I want to play. And then the whole time, I was like, ‘Man, we’ve got to find a way to get out of here.’ I know it’s gonna be harder because I had two years left (on his contract worth a combined $91 million).

How did they relay the word that they had changed their stance with you?

In August, I went back to check on my condo and I was going back to Miami, where I’ll (stay) in the summer. So they were like, ‘Yo, the thing is, listen, we’ll bring you out for like 10 minutes a game, and sometimes you won’t play at all, or you can just not play at all the whole year and we’ll try to find a trade.’ And I was like, ‘I’m not trying to play 10 minutes a game or not play some games.’ I didn’t want to do that.

You’ve got to bounce, but real quick before you go: Why the Clippers? What was the connection?

Me and ‘P’ (Paul George) were talking about it the whole time. We were trying to figure it out. I had two years left, and we were trying to wait until I had one year left and try to keep fighting.

12. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

So in other words, the guy who was pissed as hell because he wanted to play basketball:

1) COULD HAVE PLAYED...just not major minutes

2) Could have given up $$ to go play major minutes elsewhere

Am I missing something?

13. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He wanted to play basketball so bad that he exercised his option to sit home and collect money. I don’t begrudge him that. I would have done the same thing. But I wouldn’t come back later and act like I was being held hostage. The Rockets would have allowed him to come off the bench. He didn’t want to do that. He could have negotiated a smaller buyout early, too. These were all options available to him if playing basketball were the most important thing.

Basketball is your job. You might as well get the most money you can while you are able. What is wrong with saying that? Don’t be disingenuous.

14. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

How can anyone be pissed as hell with 90 million dollars.. sign me up for that John.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Victim of circumstance, thank GOD he has pillows of money to cushion that tough choice.

DD

16. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A lot of these guys are headstrong narcissists. It probably comes with the territory of being elite for most of your life and performing at the highest levels. Wall was always going to exercise that player option because it was an astonishing amount of money. But he wanted to have his cake and eat it, too, by getting paid over $40M to risk injury (making him completely untradeable again) and clog the depth chart for a team that had every incentive to tank.

His lack of self-awareness about how his time ended here reminds me of Russ' awful shot selection with the Lakers right now; Russ can't understand that he is no longer "the man" and that years of adrenaline-fueled stat-padding ruined his game as he was getting older. He is completely incapable of changing because he won an MVP doing exactly this.

ArtV likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

10 minutes a game and sporadically is just a way of saying 'We do not need you'

If someone is coming back from major injury, being a former All Star, that would be a major setback.

Other than that, you didn't miss anything.

We missed the human element amongst all the money talk.

'All the money wouldn't have made Royce White a better human or sane person.'

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

He could have always accepted a buyout if he wanted to play that much.

Kevooooo likes this.
  19. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I don't think I'm missing the human element. If he wanted to play he had an opportunity to play. Major minutes aren't available for you on this team, where we are trying to develop young guards. We can still let you play basketball. If you don't want to do that well your salary limits us being able to send you somewhere to play major minutes. You can take less $$ so we can get you somewhere to play more minutes.

The human element = you can't always have everything you want. Do you want to play or get paid? I'm not knocking him for not giving up 1 cent, but he had a chance to play basketball.

Kevooooo likes this.
  20. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Member