1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

With Yao/T-Mac, will the Rockets surpass the Lakers as the flagship team in the NBA?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeAleck, Jul 5, 2004.

1. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

There is no question the Lakers are the flagship team of the NBA right now. They have been the Yankees of basketball. Everyone knows them in the world. I don't think any other team can claim that.

The Celtics were great in the Russell era and the Bird era, but they are no longer the name that rings the bell anymore. The Bulls was THE team back in the Jordan era, but it seems like its stardom is shortlived. We(the Rockets), the Spurs and the Pistons had our moments in the past decade, but we are no where near the fame and popularity that the Lakers have. Even now with their implosion, they still get mentioned the most by far if you turn on a sports radio station or open a sports newspaper.

Now, we have two marquee players in Yao and T-Mac, and the NBA championship is not a far-fetched dream anymore. With that being said, will we have a chance to overtake the Lakers as THE team in basketball? It's not about championships, but about fame and popularity I was talking about.

Market wise, Houston is not as big as LA, that's for sure. Does that prevent the Rockets to become more famous and popular than the Lakers?

There is no question that David Stern loves the Lakers from a business stand. He even admits that publicly. The Lakers, with their love and hate relationship with the fans and their stories, brings the NBA's popularity to a global height. I hope three years from now, the Houston Rockets have a chance to be in that role.

What's your takes on this.

2. xlr817

xlr817 Member

Time will tell! It's fun 4 us 2 dream what the future will bring 4 the ROXS! ;) I really can't wait 4 the season 2 start!!

3. Dan B

Dan B Member

I don't think the lakers popularity will ever die, i think they will always be the flagship team in the nba.

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

First, LA and NYC get first dibs always because they are such huge media markets. Houston, despite being the fourth most populated city, is only the 11th largets media market.

I think that there is every chance that we can and will be the most marketable team overseas, which is huge. Whether we become a marquee franchise in the states will depnd on our success and longevity. Remember, the Rockets had one of the most celebrated duos in basketball in the early 80's in Ralph Sampson and Hakeem Olajuwon, both fresh out of college. The Rockets went to the finals in 86 and lost to the Celtics and that was it.

We have to be good and sustain that level of play over quite a few years before we become the darlings of the NBA. But, one this is for sure, we are going to be a big draw in every city (including Houston), we'll sell a TON of merchandise and will will likely vault to the top of the heap in terms of popularity outside the US.

5. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

Untill we win 3 straight championships, we will never get respect. Not that we even deserve any right now. There's always a better team out there in the media's eyes.

T-Mac may be as good as Kobe, But Yao is nowhere near what Shaq was in his prime or even now.

However, i do think we will be a much more popular team now. The Magic were always on TV last year because of T-Mac. Just as the Rockets were on TV more because of Yao. Combine the 2 and we should have alot of games on TNT next year. :)

6. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

despite having yao on our team, the most marketable teams in China are....

the lakers and the 76ers. While many Chinese are drawn to basketball because of Yao, the fans like to watch Kobe and Iverson more, which is good, because it shows that they arent just interested for national pride reasons.

However, now that Houston has TMac, there is no doubt that we can become one of the most marketable teams in the country, and now with a combo of yao and tmac, our international appeal covers two major fronts, not unlike kobe and shaq (minus the blimp sized egos). Houston Rox have an excellent future.

7. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

Jeff, How do they determined which market is larger .

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Jeff, I understand the "large market" principle. But the Green Bay Packers' popularity was way beyond the location's worth. And the Cowboys are arguably the most popular football team in the US without being in one of the largest market.

That said, football is probably different from basketball. Green Bay and Dallas each had a legendary coach with innovations of his own. Basketball might be more player-centered than coach-centered.

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I honestly don't know. I think it has something to do with households and ratings, but I couldn't say for sure.

10. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Football is more team-centered like college sports where the winning franchises/colleges are king. Duke and North Carolina rule college basketball because they have won a lot. In pro sports, it is all about the players.

And, I'm not talking about just in China in terms of overseas.

11. Phizz3l

Phizz3l Contributing Member

What I think make a big difference is how the Laker were one big a$$ soap oprea... If Yao and Tmac get alone like they seem they will, it will get boring for everyone (cept) Houston of course. I am wondering if Houston wins a crap load of rings... will they become the most hated team like the Bulls, Lakers, Yanks, and so on.