1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rocky Mountain News July 3 :Houston offers brent barry 4 year 24 million deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by alain076, Jul 3, 2004.

1. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

I would be OK with that.

2. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I continue to be amazed at why a 4 year MLE contract is too much to pay for a player who...

* doesn't rely on athleticism as a major part of his game.
    * shot 54% inside the arc for the past 3 seasons in SEA.
    * is the tallest among those being mentioned as possible PG's (important in a Van Gundy team defensive scheme which soft traps and funnels dribble penetration baselene).
    * is the only PG mentioned who can also play SG.

OK, Brent Barry gets zip votes for the NBA All Defensive team. How many has Mobley received? And Francis got 1 or 2 under Van Gundy. Barry will be fine in Van Gundy's team D concepts. On offensive, the doubles on Yao and McGrady are going to provide wide open shots and that heavily tips the scales toward players who can hit wide open spot up J's without dribbling.

If initial reports are correct, the Rockets have been in contact with at least Barry, Fisher, and Arroyo. All 3 have pluses and minuses. Any one of the three is more than capable. It will come down to economics and market values. If they feel Arroyo can hit wide open shots and not turn the ball over, they will offer him the same MLE contract as Barry. If Utah matches, you go with Plan B.

Call me an optimist but I truly feel that whatever the Rox management does will be market driven and we will wind up with the best PG solution that our MLE, and/or TE and/or attraction of playing with Yao and McGrady can provide. IOW, unless you feel we are going to the NBA Finals next season (extremely over optimistic IMO), we are building a team which is going to be over the cap for a long, long time and you're trying to get pieces that fit. Barry fits.

3. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Member

LaFrentz is as soft as a toilet paper.....don't even try to get him.

4. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

It puzzles me to hear the majority of the posters are wondering if we are paying Barry too much. Among the guards out there, Barry is clearly the best choice. He is taller, shoots much better FG%, knows how to pass, plays intelligient basketball. The lineup of Yao, T-Mac, JJ, Howard, Barry could really win a championship NEXT year! Would you rather see Rockets win a championship next year, or worry about Les's pockets for a few extra million bucks?

Enjoy the ride. It is going to be a fantastic one!

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Whoever thinks it is going to take 2 years for this team to compete for a championship doesn't know what they are talking about. This team will compete next year for the WC title and a spot in the championship if they get Barry and another solid big man. I'm not saying they will win it, but they will be right up there with the Wolves and Spurs. The top 4 in the West next year will be between Houston, Minnesoto, SA, with the 4th spot up for grabs between Denver, Memphis, and Sacramento. Dallas has slipped. The Lakers have slipped big time. Barring major injury to on of the two superstars, the Rockets will be vying for the WC crown next year.

6. JING

JING Contributing Member

A line up of Yao J.Howard JJ T-Mac BB will be great offensively. I am just worried about defense on small and ultra fast guards. Like Parker, Hamilton.

7. Ying Yang

Ying Yang Member

Is is going to take a couple of seasons for CD to get all the best supporting cast together and by the looks of it [re Barry] he is making one heck of a mess by wanting to overpay a 32 year old role player.

8. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Member

I don't think Kings slip at all....being a Kings fan i know that they have the misfortune of getting bad breaks during the Playoffs or they would have gone all the way. Last year ..it's Bobby Jackson that does it for us. 2 years ago it was Webber ankle injury in the Playoffs...3 years ago it was Peja....so it's like every year the Kings are eliminated ....NOT BECAUSE they got beat...OH NO...it's because key players are OUT!! So i have no doubt Kings are still the best team in the league...it won't change my mind. So what i am saying is....the Kings WIL BE almost unbeatable with everyone healthy. Don't get so caught with the fact that they got eliminated and failed to see why they got eliminated...they got eliminated because Bobby Jackson was out...that's a big key cuz Jackson is like another Peja and Bibby out there.

9. job

job Contributing Member

I don't think B. Barry is overall more talented than J. Jackson. Therefore, I think Barry should get a similar contract to Jackson. Otherwise, we get another player in terms of contract that we wish we never signed.

10. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

If we limit teams like San Antonio and Detroit to beating us with their guards, we're halfway there.

We also have Lue, which will cause mismatch problems for speedy points. For guys like Hamilton, rotate TMac and Boki on him, and watch him flounder.

11. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

This is a very logicaly move, considering the Rockets pass. Why did we win 47 games a few years back. As much as people will say it was Francis & Rudy, I disagree. It was Matt Bullard?

How many games did he save us by going nuts from the 3 point line.

I think from the Langhi's to Nachbar's, Rockets are desparately looking for that kind of outside threat.

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I'm not too worried about Barry's contract. We can definately expect 3 or 4 good years out of him. He's stayed healthy his whole career, and he can get his own shot (unlike many in the NBA). His quick release is a real plus. Even if he is struggling in his 4th season, his contract would hold value as a way for teams to gain cap space when his contract runs out. Trade him or keep him in his forth year. Who cares.

13. MCM

MCM Contributing Member

First of all, we would've been over the cap with Posey. What does that mean? We would've paid $12 million a year for him to be on the team - that's a little much there.

Secondly, HAS ANYONE ....EVER...seen Brent Barry pass the ball? He's as good as there is the LEAGUE. Also, he can throw the dumpdown pass to YAO - a pass that we have NOT made in two years! Remember Kenny S dumping it down to Dream. I know it doesn't seem that hard but Barry does it well.

Also, has anyone ever seen BB run the break? He runs to the MIDDLE of the court. Remember that basketball fundamental? NOT THE WING - TO THE MIDDLE and THEN pass it to the slasher...uhh....TMAC? Uhh....Boki? Uhh...JJ? Uhh...whoever! PG is overrated in JVG's system........... OTHER THAN............you MUST be smart, you MUST know HOW to run the team, and you MUST NOT turn the ball over. BB would be fine at 'the 1 position.'

Now, with that said, it's HARD for me to see this contract. WOW! However, as someone said earlier, he IS a shooter. Actually, he's THE shooter out there. You double TMAC - You die! You double Yao - You die! That's a pretty nice thing to have and you do have to pay for it. So for now, I will refrain from the contract talk until I see the numbers but I would LOVE to have BB here.

BTW - we play collapse, team defense. His d liabilities are being a little exagerated. He'd be on the perimeter - fight through the pick and your done...get out on the break and finish it. I mean, if they get by BB then he takes off to the other end. Whoah!

Arroyo - WANT him!

Fish - I like him.

sNOw- NO!

Jones - I'll take him

Hudson - Ixnay

PF - Give me Etan Thomas or Brian Skinner - call it a day. Etan can play D - he's very physical and besides Shaq, who exactly would boll us over with strength?

My thoughts.....

14. Doc Rocket

Doc Rocket Contributing Member

I ghostwrite???

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I am all for getting Brent Barry, but are you sure about the athleticism? Was he not the dunking contest champion once?

16. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Hey, the first thing to go is the ....:D ;)

For those who like numbers, here is how a Barry deal would "pay out" with a 12.5% escalator:

Yr1 = $5,000,000
    Yr2 = $5,625,000
    Yr3 = $6,328,125
    Yr4 = $7,119,141
    Tot = $24,072,266

17. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

You know, you CD haters are a bit much. CD just got us a top 5 talent. You have to give him credit for the way it went down. You guys making a big deal about the fact that CD did not approach the Magic but waited until they approached them. Don't you understand, that was intentionally done to give us a position of strength to bargain instead of weakness. Now you guys are going to gripe about BBarry. Look at the market. Camby just got ridiculous money from a GM that is one of the top 5 GM's in the whole league.

CD is building this team to compete next season. He is one of the best GM's in the business. Let him do his thing now. The course is clear. Get shooters and get a rebounder, and let Van Gundy do his job and teach them how to defend. The only other thing we need to do is bring in a coach for the offense.

18. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

ROCKETS MANAGEMENT, "DON'T DO IT"

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

20. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

One thing I'll say: Barry WOULD give us flexibility. When we play any team with a speedy PG, we can just trot out this lineup to counter:

Lue
    Barry
    T-Mac
    Howard
    Yao

Plus, we would still have MoT and JJ on the bench. Not too bad.