1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HTown2017Champs, May 8, 2022.

1. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

And the fans think spending gets results, whether spent wisely or not.

see the Angels... When the owner/GM thinks like a fan.

UTSA2step likes this.
  2. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

That’s what’s bugging me, we traded for two guys who play and should play everyday. So if they’re not starting they gone at first opportunity.

3. Screaming Fist

I don’t care that much about the regular season, but if Vazquez is not starting every playoff game I might have an aneurysm.

raining threes likes this.
  4. Houston_Rockets

The 1st 2 trades where obvious upgrades for us. I could roast the homers that kept saying our org was not high on offensive oriented catchers, and they were ADAMENT about it, but I won't do it. But I also really like the Smith trade. People don't understand what playoff performers are in baseball. Guys that ramp up the focus in hight pressure, and that elevates their pitches. Maton is also an example of this.

When someone was elite before, and for mecanical reasons they decline, and they come to the Astros, all you have to be is optimistic, not because you are blind, but because these guys are top at what they do. Meanwhile Odorizzi never was elite for a long period of time. Because our bullpen need was not massive, I am perfectly OK with this gamble.

Still, we need a CF, Meyers needs atleast 1 more year because he has lost it, no swagger no explosiveness, just swing and miss ability at the moment. McCormick never impressed me, OK player, easy to root for, you ain't losing because of him, you also are not winning because of him.

And because we can and need it, I want us to go hard on it. Say no to Bell, too expensive and it would improve us just a little because of the Mancini trade, but CF......... really bad atm. And our 2022 1st rounder is still a long way away ;)

#4244 Houston_Rockets, Aug 2, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
  5. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

The Mancini and Vasquez deals remind me of when we picked up Reddick and McCann in the same offseason. Two solid guys who when both guys play, add a lot of length to the lineup

6. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

If so, curious what that package looks like

7. Screaming Fist

I don't see the need for a CF. They could use a corner OF bat but they already have a pretty good CF on the roster.

No Worries likes this.
  8. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

Who? Meyers looks terrible. He doesn't seem focused at all. As for corner OFer, Mancini can fill that roll.

Fulgore likes this.
  9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Pretty sure he is talking about Chas. Meyers looked good last year, but he does not look close to 100% healthy. I think Astros are hoping Meyers gets back to where he was by the postseason. It isn't pretty right now though.

Htown Legend and mightybosstone like this.
  10. mightybosstone

Between 1st, LF and DH, I would think Mancini will more than likely be an everyday starter, but with Dusty as the manager, he'll get days off like everyone else. Vasquez probably catches most games except for Framber's starts, JV and the occasional spot start.

whiskeyred likes this.
  11. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Still sucks bro.

12. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

This hopefully. Lol. Let's get a real manager.

13. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

Yea before yesterday I thought a package for mullins would have Urquidy as a main piece but I cant see us trading another starter now. That's way too risky given lance's unknown

whiskeyred likes this.
  14. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

If nothing else happens, this is the current OPTIMAL LINE UP:

STARTERS OBP SLG OPS

1. R 3B Bregman 3 350 423 773

2. R 1B Mancini 4 347 404 751

3. L DH Alvarez 1 417 670 1087

4. R 2B Altuve 2 362 506 868

5. L RF Tucker 5 328 452 780

6. R SS Pena 6 299 443 742

7. R C Vasquez 7 327 432 759

8. R CF McCormick 8 320 413 733

9. R LF Diaz 9 306 420 726

whiskeyred and raining threes like this.
  15. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Click has already come out and said he’s going to have a chat w Dusty about how he’s going to use the new guys. It definitely sounds like Click didn’t trade for these for them not to get used regularly.

16. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Best of luck in your recovery

17. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Would be dope to make a big splash today, but we'll see.

18. mightybosstone

I like Chas, but I have a hard time buying him as the long-term answer at CF. He's so-so defensively and wildly inconsistent on offense. Yeah, he had a killer July, but that was after a ghastly June, and he's 2 for his last 18, so it feels like he's cooling off.

If the Astros make another move today, I hope it's to acquire someone who offers a little more consistency at the position.

19. Landry's Tooth

Ok, do you have an alternative since stl went quintana?

Is Odorizzi helping us more in the playoffs than a lefty with a dominant slider and closing experience?

20. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Time will tell, I mean look I hope the guy rebounds. We don't have Strom anymore to work his magic, but our pitching staff seems capable of handling struggling pitchers and making them better. He's not great this year and we could have gotten more for Odorizzi, but for now I don't care for the trade.