1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HTown2017Champs, May 8, 2022.

1. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Yeah, DH for life. He’ll have a 20 ye career

STR8Thugg likes this.
  2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If that was Odorizzi's last start here, he made 36 appearances with an ERA+ of 103 and the team was 20-16 (a 90 win projection) in his games. That is outstanding from your 4th or 5th starter, fans around here have just been spoiled with their "Dear god, not an Odorizzi start, he's trash" BS.

3. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Versatility as a Utility bench player. Best used as a defensive replacement at 1B, but has to do more.

He's 38 and not under contract next year. He has to decide whether to continue playing or begin the next phase. I hope it's the latter and he stays with the Astros like Jose Cruz. Same with Maldonado when it's his time.

4. Landry's Tooth

In the playoffs?

I can understand a game here or there...

I also get they struggled last year with Maldonado at times.

You're not really getting at the point by trying to disprove a trend by citing individual performances.

I'm not saying things are absolute...

5. Landry's Tooth

I think there are things you can do to squeeze value out of Yuli.

Hitting him in front of Yordan is a start.

More time off is another...

Going to task on diet and fitness in an offseason could be another.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  6. Landry's Tooth

I'm good with this especially with their playoff experience.

I think they look for pitching too as much or more as outfield.

Wouldn't mind if they are throwing in Dalbec with his value so low now. Not a great catcher/1B defensively but would be curious what are hitting coaches can do with him... he had power potential...

Tax is an important factor you mention but has no bearing on another team offering more.

Do the Cardinals offer Burleson and Yepez for JD to DH?

I wouldn't mind dealing Brown, Barber, and Bielak/Ivey if we're getting JD, Vazquez, Dalbec, and maybe some low level guys...

7. Landry's Tooth

Chicken and egg, right?

It's a gamble... it's not like Maldonado is going somewhere.

I would want a substantial upgrade on offense and average defensive floor before considering upgrade from Maldy.

It's hard to quantify his effect on calling games and working with our arms.

The upgrade of our 9th best hitter affects a plate appearance every few innings (more often when factoring in lineup protection).

The defensive side effects every pitch...

eliefor3 and Marshall Bryant like this.
  8. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

No Worries and Shark44 like this.
  9. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

I’m ready for this to be over with

mikol13 and Marshall Bryant like this.
  10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

36 hours to go and we’ve seen all of 2 meaningful trades made (Castillo and Benintendi). This is either going be insane or extremely anticlimactic.

Do not give up Urquidy for a ****ing rental. Do not give up Brown or Leon or Lee for a rental. If they give up Diaz or Barber or Whitley for a rental there better not be much else included.

11. Houston_Rockets

EXACTLY, that is why going for Contreras (top 3 C in the game) who is someone that was playing WS games at the age of 24 or a guaranteed longer term solution in Murphy make PERFECT sense, which is an idea opposed to what a majority of our fanbase believes our FO would do because "they love what Maldy brings"

Just glad Nook has said that we have been in contact for a full year+ with the Cubs, meaning our guys believe it would be a big acquisition.

Will most likely not happen because of the Cubs asking price, which is unfortunate

Hope something happens today, this thing has been slow.

#3631 Houston_Rockets, Aug 1, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
    everyday eddie likes this.
  12. Houston_Rockets

Sorry for double post

13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

If the ask from the Nats are scaring off teams for Bell and Soto, then maybe they can like getting nothing but the comp pick. But I wouldn't mind going after Bell in FA in the off season. 1B is open for 2023. Soto can waste away in WAS and the Nats can get the comp pick if it exists after this year.

Same thing with the Cubs. Hold to that high price. In a year you will regret it.

Help would be nice, but I'd rather get hot at the right time.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  14. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Couldn't agree more about Urquidy.

15. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I’m talking playoffs for both. August 3rd is 2 months until end of the season that’s plenty of time to see what you’ve got.

Rileydog likes this.
  16. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

I do think it's going to be active and it will most likely start tonight. I don't like what I'm hearing from Click from Chandler Rome. There's no excuse not to get something done.

17. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Chandler Rome is a pot stirring shithead who is usually wrong about most things, so fear not in that sense.

18. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Some of our biggest trades have been reported AFTER we were crying about not doing anything. But we still need to only do the good deals. No deal is BETTER than a bad deal/

whiskeyred likes this.
  19. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

Very true... there are a couple of people in the media that I cant stand who cover this team. He is one.

Michael Conner is another.

cwebbster likes this.
  20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

In addition to the fact that he’d likely be much cheaper than Contreras or Murphy, Christian Vazquez has the added benefit that he can legit play 1B. He also can serve as an emergency option at 2B and 3B (having played both a few times the last few seasons). So he projects as a better fit if Houston intends to still keep Maldonado as the primary catcher.