1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HTown2017Champs, May 8, 2022.

1. Screaming Fist

Sean Murphy and Christian Walker would be my dream deadline.

2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Dream is Soto and Goldschmidt. Since that's not happening... I'm going to bed.

3. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

The rumor is Contreras is way to expensive.
    Vasquez the C from. The Red Sox is way cheaper and with Murphy being just as expensive if not more. Vasquez should come way more cheaply and has success in the AL and in the Post season.

They are looking at Choi. But as a back up option just in case some one jumps in last minute.
    The rotation of Vazquez, Alvarez, Brantley, Bell, Yuli and Diaz plus Maldy

4. Yordan The Great

The rotation of what? You just listed a whole bunch of unrelated players in vastly different positions.

htownrox1, Wulaw Horn and Bregatron like this.
  5. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

I said this a couple of weeks ago and I'll say it again, even 2019, Cole said the team felt they didn't make any moves(or at least big ones) and said the lockerroom was quiet. Later on Hinch walks in and says we ****ing got Grienke. And Cole said everyone was pumped and excited.

6. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Vasquez 1B DH C PH
    Yuli 1B DH PH 3B SS 2B
    Alvarez DH LF PH
    Diaz LF RF 1B 2B SS 3B DH PH
    Dubon CF LF RF SS 2B DH PH

7. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

This is dumb. I stopped reading when it said Yuli as an option for 3B like it’s 2017.

Bregatron likes this.
  8. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think that Bell is absolutely the right guy for this team.

If Brantley can return then that 1 bat will be plenty.

2B Altuve 142 OPS+
    LF Brantley 124 OPS +
    DH Alvarez 206 OPS+
    3B Bregman 122 OPS+
    RF Tucker 121 OPS +
    1B Bell 155 OPS+
    SS Pena 111 OPS+
    CF McCormick 108 OPS+
    C Maldonado 63 OPS +

W/O Brantley another bat would be preferable but the lineup is still solid. Sub Aledmys Diaz and his 105 OPS+

2B Altuve
    3B Bregman
    DH Alvarez
    1B Bell
    RF Tucker
    LF Diaz
    SS Pena
    CF McCormick
    C Maldonado.

Yuli is at 92 OPS+ Which is very weak for a first baseman but other than Maldy the rest of the lineup can be all over 100 Ops+

As long as Meyers or Dubon are sitting on the bench for defense or pinch running.

9. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

So your saying not to Bench Yuli and Forget Bell?

There is a reason they are wanting Bell they aren't afraid of him Defensively
    They just not so happy with his bat

If you stopped reading then you believe he cant be a utility role player. And 1B and DH PH is it for him?
    SO again I think they will let Yuli have a swing at those positions just to get him into games and give players days off

raining threes likes this.
  10. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think Yuli could ( and should) play some third and maybe some second but SS is dumb.

But he will need to take reps there for a while during infield, and then play there a few times before the end of the season to get some games in.

If he can't do it so be it, but they should test it.

If the team trades for a 1B and Brantley does not return, then Diaz every day in LF and Chas in CF may be the best option.

If that happens Yuli may be a better option than Dubon in the playoffs if Altuve or Bregman get hurt.

I also think resigning him as a bench player next year for his experience, respect, and Cuban connections would not be bad but he should not he handed the starting 1B job again.

SKYGODZ187 likes this.
  11. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I agree I like the Vasquez trade aswell with him having some versatility to play 1B and DH
    This would give us time to rest people who may need a couple days off after getting hit in the Knee!!!!!
    Or not rushing someone back

12. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Agreed I don't think he can play 2B or SS but I don't think it'll stop them from trying it

13. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

if the plan was Brown in the pen, wouldn’t the FO been well served to bring him up a couple of weeks ago and see how he does? I suppose the other possibility is we deal Odo and Garcia or Urquidi and we need Brown stretched out.

I think Javier stays in the rotation unless we are worried about his innings

14. HTown2017Champs

Astros get:
    C Sean Murphy
    LHP Sam Moll

Athletics get:
    RHP Bryan Abreu
    OF Colin Barber
    1B/OF Taylor Jones

Astros get:
    OF Bryan Reynolds

Pirates get:
    RHP Luis Garcia
    OF/2B Pedro Leon
    RHP Shawn Dubin
    OF Corey Julks

Astros get:
    1B Josh Bell
    PTBNL

Nats get:
    RHP Forrest Whtiley
    IF Joe Perez

Astros get:
    LF/1B Alec Burleson

Cardinals get:
    RHP Jake Odorizzi + cash considerations
    PTBNL (if necessary)

Cleared some room in AAA to allow for promotions, and also made plenty of room on the 40-man. Jake Meyers and Corey Lee to AAA. We add two impact bats, a better hitting catcher who alternates with Maldonado, and a promising young outfielder. Not to mention a lefty reliever. Very costly, but everyone except Bell is under contract next year. Go all in when you have an opportunity like this to do something special. Do not be scared if it looks like there's a bunch of lefties next to each other - Reynolds and Bell are both true switch-hitters with near even career splits. Reynolds is by far the most ambitious move. The Pirates seem very reluctant to deal him, but if the reports of us willing to part with a young, controllable starter are true, this is the move.

Altuve 2B
    Reynolds CF
    Bell 1B
    Alvarez DH
    Bregman 3B
    Tucker RF
    Murphy C
    Pena SS
    Burleson LF

Bench: Diaz, Maldy, McCormick, Gurriel
    Rotation: Verlander, Valdez, McCullers, Javier, Brown, Urquidy
    Pen: Pressly, Stanek, Montero, Neris, Moll, Martinez, Maton

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  15. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Backup plan to Bell but only if Yordan can play LF everyday or nearly everyday in the playoffs. Regular season can be worked out.

According to MLBTraderumors Boston is $8M over the 1st tax threshold.

JD Martinez is owed about $7.5M and Vazquez $2.4M. Trading both would save them a tax penalty.

Astros are more than $30M under per Cots.

According to MLBpipeline the Red Six have no OF in their top 15 prospects and Astros are loaded with mid level OF prospects.

Trade Colin Barber ( MLB #5, BA#15), Tyler Whitaker( MLB#10, BA#9), Corey Julkes ( MLB#26 BA NR) a MLB ready pitcher like Enoli Paredas or Brandon Bielak and include Nikko Goidrum in the deal. They pay his remaining $0.7M and it clears a 40 man roster spot needed for the trade.

16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You live in a fantasy land. LOL. No one is giving you anything for Forrest Whitley at this point.

17. raining threes

He
    Framber or Garcia also had a well pitched game with Lee behind the dish.

18. HTown2017Champs

Yes I know he will never reach his peak value again, but I have seen tweets connecting Whitley to a potential Bell trade, and when if it's just for a rental, sometimes they will go for a low floor high ceiling guy like him since they know the very top prospects are almost always off-limits.

Wulaw Horn and raining threes like this.
  19. Houston_Rockets

This is false. You can only pitch well with Maldonado behind the dish.

We have ok arms, we just have an elite catcher.

Wulaw Horn, raining threes and banzai like this.
  20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Trading away some farm talent makes a hell of a lot more sense than trading away someone like Urquidy imo.