1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HTown2017Champs, May 8, 2022.

1. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Lance McCullers has been very careful and steady with his rehab to make sure he is healthy at each step and can return 100% when his rehab is over.

I have read and listened to all I can every time he has pitched

The Astros are on record as considering trading one of their young starting pitchers.

They do not do this unless they are very confident Lance will return and be healthy when his rehab is over..

Basically the team is getting Lance as a trade deadline addition for free..

Which is better:

The Astros rotation + McCullers?

The Mariners rotation + Castillo?

Any other rotation in baseball?

Now the Astros need to upgrade the lineup. Let's go !!!

htownrox1 and Wulaw Horn like this.
  2. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

Except LMJ is a typical Houston fan favorite. He is above average, but had a few moments and plays to the city. Terrible contract. He is who they need to move, if they even could.

raining threes likes this.
  3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

His contract is fine for his talent level and upside.

4. Houston_Rockets

I was wrong yesterday, sorry.

Something big is happening today ;)

whiskeyred and Snake Diggit like this.
  5. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

This is a really really really bad take. LMJ at like 15 million a year is no problem at all.

6. Landry's Tooth

I get that, but follow the Astros blueprint...

They added vets like Reddick, Mccann, and Beltran when they alread had Bregman, Gurriel, Correa, Springer, and Altuve...

This move to me would be like if the Astros traded Correa and more in 2014 just to get Aaron Nola a couple years before free agency.

You have to have faith in your development because if you don't do well at that, you're constantly spending on free agents to fill in gaps.

They hit with Rodriguez and Gilbert. If Marte and Kelenic are busts then they are just another average team.

My personal feeling is you only do what could lead to contending...

7. Landry's Tooth

Who was as good as Marte?

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The Castillo trade shows just how stupid the Rockies are for not shopping German Marquez. Also, there’s an argument that Urquidy might be the best pitcher available after Montas. He compares favorably to Mahle.

Couple of under the radar candidates if Houston cheaps out:
    OF Charlie Blackmon (if Brantley is out for the season)
    C Roberto Perez
    1B Jesus Aguilar

There’s a glut of relievers that should be available. I will be very surprised if Houston didn’t add at least something to their bullpen.

San Francisco and Boston can change things dramatically if they decide to sell.

Arizona has 3 SP they could trade.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  9. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

I would agree, I just doubt he will ever be healthy for an entire season.

10. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Write up on Blackmon from climbingtalshill.com

Blackmon is a seasoned veteran who was born in Texas, which might give the Astros an edge as a trade target. He would add another lefty bat to the lineup and he has hit 15 home runs and driven in 58 while slashing .274/.324/.472 with a .796 OPS. He has a player option for 2023 but his contract is up after that, and he could do well playing in right field whenever Kyle Tucker DHs (and vice versa).
    Blackmon’s splits between home and away are similar, which is a good sign that he doesn’t rely on the notorious Coors Field to be a good hitter. His batting average is lower away from Colorado, but 7 of his 15 home runs and 27 of his 51 RBI have come on the road. The only holdup for Blackmon would be the fact that his entire career has been spent in Colorado and he is a fan favorite there, which makes it possible that he might turn down his expensive player option this winter for a chance to sign back with the Rockies in the event of a trade.

11. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

I was honestly also thinking his contract was bigger than 5/85.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  12. the shark

the shark Member

Have said it before, and will say it again, don't think we should be trading Urquidy. Especially for a rental. Trust him WAY more than Garcia in the playoffs plus he can come out of the pen.

13. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

After seeing the Castillo trade last night, I feel the Bell chances go down significantly.

Incoming under the radar acquisition for cheap that platoons with Yuli.

I can feel it in my plums.

Astros stinginess on prospects in the past paired with Yuli’s move to 2nd in the hitting order.

Actions suggest they are giving Yuli every shot to make it work.

14. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Get your take and I agree that he'd be an overpay for a rental.

That being said, given the Astros pitching depth, I'd much rather have another above average bat who can play every game in the playoffs. Urquidy at best is getting 1 start and maybe 1 relief appearance per series.

Top three starters are easily: Verlander, Framber, Javier.

The options for 4th starter and bulk reliever: Garcia, Urquidy, LMJ.

I agree Urquidy can probably most comfortably throw bulk bullpen innings of those 3 but the downgrade to the other two isn't so high to overlook a big hitting upgrade at 1B or LF.

No Worries likes this.
  15. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

As I said yesterday.

I think everyone will be surprised what will happen to this team by Tuesday.
    This team is going to get way better

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Given the dynamics of playoff baseball, the Astros need all six starters. If the Astros trade Urquidy or Garcia, they need to get a better SP back or have uber confidence in Brown (who has yet to make his MLB debut).

raining threes and the shark like this.
  17. Landry's Tooth

I had that thought yesterday. Josh Naylor would be exceptionally good. Over .900 ops against righties but in the .600s against lefties.

Platoon him with Yuli. He also has experience in corner outfield and years of control.

Not sure if he's really available but he would be as good a fit as you can find on that front. I would pay more than for a rental like Bell.

Cleveland usually is good at developing their own pitching so I'm not sure how they assess a need. They could also be buyers...

That said, i would do Garcia and Enmanuel Valdez for Naylor and Clase... may toss in a barber or leon too...

Wulaw Horn and tmacfor35 like this.
  18. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Honestly I think they do have Confidence in Hunter Brown

I think this is one of the reasons why Urquidy and Odorizzi are avaliable

I dont think Garcia is going any where

His name is silent in every Article

19. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I have been beating the drum on Javier as a potential ace for a couple of years now, and this year he is definitely showing it could happen

But, he is still basically a 5 inning pitcher at this point.

Urquidy has gone 8 games in a row giving up 3 runs or less, going into the 7th inning in a lot of them. He also has a tremendous record of success in the playoffs.

If he is dealt it won't be for a rental, and it won't be for a marginal upgrade. If he stays, he will be an important part of the pitching staff in the playoffs

20. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Not sure we have the right manager to take advantage of platoon situations

Chas has been sitting against LHP and playing against RHP.
    Chas has a .990 OPS vs LHP, second to Altuve on the Astros. Better than even Yordan

Chas has a .622 vs RHP

If I were Click, I wouldn't be making trades with platoon thinking as part of the plan, not with the current manager