1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HTown2017Champs, May 8, 2022.

1. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

I'm pretty sure being a Dodger fan is a requirement for MS-13 membership.

Or maybe its the other way around...

2. Houston_Rockets

Something big is happening today, I can feel it.

texans1095 likes this.
  3. CinematicFusion

4. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

If the Angels are seriously considering offers for Ohtani you have to at least make the call.

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Solely based on rumors, Houston is offering up Urquidy, Odorizzi, Siri, and Whitley. That’s a good start to acquire some real talent. There’s probably almost $100M in surplus value there.

Also, Fangraphs wrapped up their trade value column with Yordan Alvarez ranked 5th. Here’s the final tally of Astros on the list:

5. Alvarez
    11. Tucker
    18. Pena
    28. Framber
    44. Garcia
    Mentioned: Bregman
    Robbed: Javier

So Houston probably has 7 (or 8, depending on your opinion of Altuve) of the top 100 most valuable assets in all of MLB. Pretty impressive.

#3025 Snake Diggit, Jul 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
    Wulaw Horn, BigMaloe and htownrox1 like this.
  6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I don't think Angels ownership will Ok a trade because they are stupidly short sighted, however I'm pretty sure Ohtani wouldn't mind being sent elsewhere.

htownrox1 likes this.
  7. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

To be honest, the names I keep hearing (Bell, Murphy, Contreras, etc) aren’t worth giving up the likes of Garcia, Urquidy, Javier in my opinion. Now if you start kicking the doors on names like Castillo, Mullins, Ohtani, Soto then by all means we can start talking about those names. And if those names aren’t enough for those types of trades, so be it, and trade less for lower return. I’m all for trading Odorizzi, but I don’t know if there will be any takers for anything of significance. Make sure you’re not trading just to trade to use the cliche

Radricky, Nippystix, BigMaloe and 4 others like this.
  8. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Bell’s bat can do wonders for us this year. Javier is a non starter and I think even Urquidy is an overpay but we either want to go for the the ring or we don’t. With the way JV is pitching it would feel foolish to not strike for someone like Bell.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Agree that it isn't wise to trade Garcia, Urquidy, and Javier unless getting back someone great. Even then, it is likely only a marginable improvement as those guys are really good and those guys will get outs in relief if not starting in postseason.

On Odorizzi, he's a league average pitcher with a contract fitting his production. The Astros have 5 healthy starters better, a prospect in AAA likely better with stuff that could play up in postseason relief, and a better MLB starter in rehab. Considering I expect the Astros to acquire at least 1 pitcher (relief or starter) at the deadline, unless Odorizzi is willing to fake an injury or not try to play through a blister, he's just not going to be one of the 14 pitchers on the team next week (and probably isn't right now).

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  10. Houston_Rockets

Surprised that according to Fangraphs, Mullins and Reynolds have almost exactly the same trade value. Sean Murphy just a couple spots below is also crazy to me.

raining threes likes this.
  11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Mullins and Reynolds have similar team control, are projected to perform roughly the same amount of value though in different ways (Reynolds a little better), are coming off career years, and are played in the same position despite Reynolds not being very good there defensively.

Murphy has similar control and similar projected value to Mullins. I'm a little surprised Murphy doesn't have a higher projection than those 2, but catchers get dinged a lot for injury concerns.

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Unfortunately I am letting my expectations for what Houston will do at the deadline inflate. With 4 days left here is what I expect:

1. A good everyday bat (Bell, Contreras, Reynolds, Cooper, Mullins all qualify)
    2. Another complementary position player (Mancini, Murphy, Happ, and various other backup catchers and fringey regular OF/1B qualify)
    3. An under the radar RP (not going to speculate on who is on that list)

A ToR SP also wouldn’t shock me. But it just feels like the market for Castillo, Montas, and Mahle is too hot, so I’m not expecting that. I would be extremely surprised if Houston acquired a well known reliever or a superstar position player (Ohtani or Soto).

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  13. Landry's Tooth

This would never happen but it would be hilarious...

Twins are looking for pitching and Correa is likely a rental blocking Royce Lewis...

Twins trade Correa for Luis Garcia and plug Lewis in his spot...

We then get the gang back together for the playoffs run....

Yordan to left and Pena to DH?

14. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

The bottom line is that this team has the core and great opportunity to win the World Series this year.

Despite what we, as Astros fans, have come to expect, that is rare and must be maximized.

Of all the players on the 40 man roster and 60 day IL, 26 will make the playoff roster. Either 13 pitchers and 13 position players, or 12 pitchers and 14 position players. With FT DH, most likely the former.

I count 10 pitchers that are locks if healthy.

JV, Framber, Javier, Garcia, LMJ, Urquidy, Pressly, Stanek. Montero, and Neris.

Abreu, Maton, and Seth Martinez are next 3 and Hunter Brown is a possibility but all could be upgraded.

Overall this is a B+ staff that can win the World Series. Adding an impact starter and moving one if the young starters to the bullpen, and/or adding 1-2 dependable high leverage relievers would make this an A.

I count 8 position players who are locks.

Maldy, Yuli, Altuve, Bregman, Pena, Tucker, Alvarez, and Diaz.

Brantley will be there if healthy. Castro will likely be if healthy but could be upgraded.

Meyers and McCormick can both be improved upon though either would be a great 4th OF.

Dubon, Matijevic, and/or Korey Lee could all be upgraded in my opinion.

Ideally bring in at least a run producing 1B that moves Yuli to a platoon replacing Matijevic ( or Dubon depending Brantley's health)

Also bring in a veteran back up catcher as an upgrade and/or insurance for Castro.

Then bring in another impact OF and then choose from Brantley, Meyers, and McCormick for the 3rd and 4th OF spots. Of course it's Brantley's if he's healthy.

As you can see much of this is dependent on Brantley's health and the team has 4 days to decide.

#3034 IdStrosfan, Jul 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
  15. Landry's Tooth

I think fair value for Odorizzi is a lefty bullpen arm and a non top 100 prospect.

Both could be useful to us...

No Worries, IowaAstro and Wulaw Horn like this.
  16. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Pena at DH would be such a waste of a plus glove.

As a SS he is an above average hitter. As a DH he is average at best.

raining threes and Htown Legend like this.
  17. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

Nah. Carlos wanted to leave. Let's close that chapter.

18. Landry's Tooth

A name that would be interesting to me is Alejandro Kirk. The Blue Jays have 2 catchers with higher ceilings in the minors. He was an allstar this year but limited success (half a season).

He could possibly convert to a 1B in the offseason and serve as a DH with Yordan in left given Brantley's status...

I would think an arm like Urquidy would do it. He also has control and youth unlike Bell...

19. Screaming Fist

Murphy looks like probably the single biggest upgrade they can make but hard seeing the A's give him up to the Astros unless it's at a premium.

20. Landry's Tooth

I'm not saying I would do it. I'm saying it would be hilarious because i don't think he got a no trade clause.. i could be mistaken...

While there is logic on paper, people aren't paper...