1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HTown2017Champs, May 8, 2022.

1. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

So it’s necessary to try to keep McCormick to fill in at LF while they manage Alvarez’s hand issue.

I’m also considering Dubon/Diaz at LF unless they trade for a rental LF in addition to an impactful bat.

2. Nook

Nook Member

A lot of people have said the Astros should target Ian Happ.

He can play numerous spots on the field and he is an average centerfielder.

He has one more arbitration season so he would be a solution for the Astros in 2023 as well if they have decided that Meyers isn't going to work out.

Happ is someone that the Cubs have really mishandled IMO. He should have been starting since 2018, but they oddly started screwing with him since 2019 and he has been sent down a number of times. So this isn't a player that has a long track record of success. He is considered well liked, but he has had some run-ins with the Cubs coaches and front office.

The main drawback to Happ for the Astros is that he has had some failures in the past, so he isn't a guarantee to play this well next season and the other drawback is that the Cubs have put a big price tag on him that so far no one has come close to matching. It will be curious to see if the Cubs come down off their high demands for Happ and Contreras. The Cubs have waited too long to trade Contreras IMO. They would have gotten way more in the past.

It is possible that the Astros and Cubs could work a deal around Happ and Contreras with the Astros being more willing to send out prospects knowing they can plug Happ in center next year and not have to worry about filling that hole in free agency, with the idea that Leon or Meyers or Gilbert will be ready to play CF in 2024.

3. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Dusty and Brown to Detroit for AJ

everyday eddie and Wulaw Horn like this.
  4. Qan

Qan Member

How about Astros hire AJ after the season, and we keep Brown.

5. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

Well, Hinch is under contract until 2025, so unless he gets fired... won't be happening for a while.

6. t4rm5la4r

t4rm5la4r Member

One idea might be Yordan Álvarez at 1B and trade for a JD Martinez homecoming at DH. I have no idea what the Bosox want for JD though.

7. The Beard

Talk of Alvarez to 1B came up a couple of years ago and was soundly rejected by the organization. That's not happening

everyday eddie and Bregatron like this.
  8. The Beard

Because Arizona GM would choke from laughing so hard

The ONLY reason Thomas might potentially be available, is because Arizona's OF is overloaded with OF between their MLB roster now and top prospects. They would have ZERO interest in Chas and Meyers

Bregatron likes this.
  9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I distinctly remember seeing something about giving him some reps there, but nothing ever came of it. Makes you wonder how terrible a 1B he looked because it would seem like a great place for him with his big body.

10. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

According to Jeff Passan we could be selling some Pitchers off..

I could see Urquidy for Alek Thomas

11. The Beard

I also remember reading something about the training staff thinking that would be bad for his knees long term

12. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

No thanks

13. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I heard am Interesting rumor.
    Hunter Brown for Gabriel Moreno

IDK if its true but would be a great trade but seen it on twitter

14. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I know it probably sounds silly, but I see Pedro Martinez when Javier pitches. I desperately hope we do not trade him.

15. chievous minniefield

And then I read your post. Lol.

desihooper likes this.
  16. chievous minniefield

Michael Brantley is a myth at this point. Unless I'm wrong.

17. Nook

Nook Member

So he was a 1st baseman primarily in Cuba. He has soft hands there, but supposedly isn't the best at getting down for ground balls. His preference is to play the outfield. He busted his butt to play the field, after the Astros told him to be a DH. He then got hurt and had his left knee surgically cleaned up and a partial tear to his patella tendon repaired. Supposedly it showed scarring that it has been a long term injury he had played on for years.

Since then he has not had any real knee issues according to him. He has strengthened the knee as well and is diligent on keeping it strong. After the knee surgery and with his preference to play the outfield, they have backed off on him playing first.

I am a big guy myself and I can tell you that while first base seems easier on the body, it really isn't. Alvarez is fast enough to play left field, and I probably is less likely to hurt his knees and back out there.

18. chievous minniefield

This is the best explanation I've heard (finally, after years) of the Yordan/1B predicament. It would seem to solve so many roster problems, and all we ever get is "it won't work" because "reasons".

Thanks for the breakdown. For real.

Nook likes this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah. I also forgot to say that part of it is that he just doesn't really want to play 1st. They think he is competent there, but he didn't feel comfortable there when they last asked him to do it - so it really hasn't been pushed on him. He quietly has an incredible work ethic, so if he doesn't want to do it, they have kind of deferred to him.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  20. The Beard

You don't like winning Championships?