1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Enough negative threads!! Do you think Francis and Mobley will explode this season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by themugg, Jul 13, 2001.

1. themugg

themugg Member

I'm tired of reading all the negative stuff about Hakeem and Cato,etc. those guys have their own agenda. Let's talk about the future? 1st do you think Francis will have an MVP caliber season or do you think Mobley will? Will they prove to the rest of the league that they are going to be the best duo in the league for years to come? I personally think they'll have one awesome year! And with the addition of young blood the Rockets will eventually be a force to be reckoned with!!! [​IMG]

------------------
    TheMugg

[This message has been edited by themugg (edited July 13, 2001).]

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

How much do you want to bet this thread turns negative.

Watch this:

Mobley will explode this year. Statwise, possibly only seen relative to the likely zone drop in overall scoring, but this is a bust out year for a maturing star. He merely needs a healthy frontline, since Francis already knows Mobley is his primary scorer. Any bust out by Francis will deliver increased scoring by Mobley.

3. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

Francis MVP caliber season? No. Mobley MVP caliber season? HAH! Best duo for years? See Shaq and Kobe.

------------------

4. smoothcat

smoothcat Member

I think Francis will earn his first spot on the All-Star team with Mobley not to far behind him. And I also think the Rockets will be the 4th seed and go to the Western Conference Championship. But they'll lose it this year. But that won't last for long before they win it all.

------------------
    I'm the Baddest Cat around!!!!!

5. smoothcat

smoothcat Member

Screw Shaq and Kobe!!! I think Francis and Mobley are definately up and coming! I hate people who never gave the Rocks any damn credit! [​IMG]

------------------
    I'm the Baddest Cat around!!!!!

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

crispee, what kind of stats would you see Mobley getting if he has this bustout season? Just an increase in scoring, or his other stats as well? Towards the end of last season, I was impressed with the increase in Mobley's assists AND rebounds. He seems to be really expanding his game.

How much of an increase in Mobley's scoring is a bustout season?

------------------
    Rockets need power forward. Mo near now. Go near Mo.

You can Run from the bet, you can Rave at the bet...but you just can't hide.

7. Rockettebustier

Look out for Francis to finally utilize the mid-range jumper more than ever this year. This will open up the floor, givng him diffrent avenues to penetrate, attack and assist from. Opponents will have to play him even more hesitatingly, giving respect to this new third go-to primary option, the middle distance free-stroke. And, I too, along with crispee, see Mobley as the player who will ultimately benefit most from Francis growth.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rockettebustier (edited July 13, 2001).]

8. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Top Duos in the league (not in order)

Cat & Wink
    Hill & McGrady
    Shaq & Kobe [​IMG]
    Duncan & Robinson (yawns)
    Allen & Robinson
    Finley & Dirk
    Hughes and Jamison [​IMG]
    Griffin & Francis??????? [​IMG]

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, Charles Woodson, and Eddie Griffin fan club.

9. raww

raww Member

Dude. I'm not seeing the 4th seed... Maybe 7th or 8th.

------------------
    RAWW
    Paid for by the Frudy T. Gin and Juice Daquari Factory.

10. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

I think Francis' assists will go up a little, maybe something like 7.25 a game. I dont think his scoring will increase much with zone d and all, but he will show overall improvement. He already commited much less TO last year and showed better D(at least in the steals category). He will continue getting better on D and become a better passer. His stats should like 20.5, 7.25, 6.0.
    As far as MVP goes, I think he deserved at least 1 vote last year. I mean who would have thought the Rockets would win 45 games and win like 16 out of 20 at one point?
    But he still wont even be close to MVP next year though, just too much talent in the west. He should make the all-star team, and with Kidd gone, maybe even start!! [​IMG]

------------------
    Howdy Partner!

11. Rockettebustier

In Franics's first year he was inexperienced so he'd use his raw atheltic ability and drive, drive, drive, into the trees. He was successful most of the time but he took a battering and the team suffered from this one-dimensional play, by having to deal with collapsing defenses, they disrespected his outside shot.

In Francis second year, he developed an outside shot beyond the three point line. This disallowed guards to collapse most of the time and forced them to hugg op on him him, further out.

Francis third year will entail the application of the most important option for a guard to have. He will master the middle distance shot. This will be the most essential of the three. This new found confidence of having a consistent third option to go along with the other two will open up many more avenues for him and his teamates.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rockettebustier (edited July 13, 2001).]

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

TPL

Next yrs stats will be incomparable to this yr because of the zone. I would say that we would have to do some sort of measurement relative to team stats between the two yrs.

For instance, Mobley could average 20 ppg (less than he scored as a starter this year), yet pass several NBA players on the scoring charts.

13. BahDakota

BahDakota Member

I think that Francis will improve on his assists, and his scoring may go down a bit.

He will have more weapons to pass to, and is a very unselfish player.

I think Mobes stats will also go down a hair for the above reasons. Plus, I think the zone hurts Mobley the most.

Don't read the above as anything negative, I actually think the team will be better, just some individual stats will go down.

BahDakota

------------------
    How long do I have to endure this ?

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I agree with BahDakota !!

That guys sure is smart !!!

[​IMG]

------------------
    If you like RTS games, check out this one.

www.frontierwars.com

coming soon to a PC near you.

15. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Francis and Mobley explode? I'll tell you who's going to explode:

DAN LANGHI

------------------

16. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

Agreed. I wasn't expecting a great increase, if any, scoring wise from either of our guards. Another year with a legit 3rd scoring option, Mo, and role playing small forwards(Langhi,Morris, Griffin) who aren't offensively inept like Shandon should catapult this team to 50 wins, or at the least, keep them at 45 wins.

I think Mobley and Francis will become more efficient scorers, with Francis deferring some of his offensive game to get others invovled, namely Mo,Dream, and Griffin. If he can find that perfect equilibrium between passing and scoring, without having to focus on strictly one to be succesful, then this team is going places.

I also don't think it will necessarily be a bad thing if we only see a 1 or 2 game improvement in the win column, because I see the league evening out talent wise, and I don't think the East will be abused so much next year, which means 45-47 wins next year will probably make you playoff bound.

------------------
    matirmama, alabdhabhuumikatva

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Now you are talking.

I really feel that Langhi will have a breakout year this year.

He looks a little bigger, and his confidence has got to be very high.

I wonder if he does well if that is going to hurt our chances of resigning him?

As a 2nd Rounder we can only give him a contract similar to Mobley's, what if he really shines this year, will Rudy and CD be able to keep him?

Here is to hoping that Langhi starts and buries Walt...DEEP on the bench.

DaDakota

------------------
    If you like RTS games, check out this one.

www.frontierwars.com

coming soon to a PC near you.

18. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I think both guards will be limited to the 14 point range thanks to the new rules. I expect this to be a major regression year. Don't worry though, they'll do okay when illegal defense is brought back in about four years.

------------------
    Protrolls.com!

"I want to be like Olajon." -Sagana Diop has the right idea...

Keep the ???? alive!

19. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

This is the year Francis will finally assert himself as a LEADER. I think his vigil watching Iverson et al during the playoffs taught him this. He will actually become less unselfish (vs. more selfish) and will take more shots and his scoring average should be in the low 20's. He will also become a more vocal and assertive leader...and this team needs exactly that. [Despite Dream's dreams, this is not HIS team anymore.]

Remember how Jordan used to take it to the hole every time, got creamed, got up and did it again; he finally learned to pull up for the midrange or short jumper. Agree with many posters that you'll see a lot of this from Francis. If he keeps taking it into the tall trees too often, sooner or later injuries will mount.

I expect Mobley to become a more discriminating shooter and a much better assist man (you saw this toward the end of last season). Wouldn't surprise me to see him play the point more frequently.

Also agree that this will be a break out season for Langhi. [​IMG]

20. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I don't see how a thread about someone being blown up is positive. Sounds kind of messy to me.

------------------