1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HTown2017Champs, May 8, 2022.

1. Landry's Tooth

Cardinals need pitching... they probably have the farm system to get Soto but it will hurt some..

If they move Gorman, Carlson, and Goldschmidt to pick up Soto, Brown, and Garcia I could see an argument for them...

I doubt it though... they are way more conservative on spending than you think.

2. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

We're so stacked that we can't even get Soto into the lineup!

3. Buck Turgidson

This is total bullshit.

Why would you trade for Bell when Goldschmidt is available?

4. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Astros should be very aggressive during the trading deadline. I'm not expecting them to land Soto, but they need to grab a bat with Brantley out. Who knows if and when he will return and will he be healthy enough for playoffs.

They should be all over trading for Castillo.

The Beard, raining threes and Fulgore like this.
  5. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

It was completely a joke, no offense at all meant. It’s a great movie and my favorite scene from the movie. I celebrate Farleys absurdity.

6. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I generally agree with with your point here, but all I would say is we don’t know what Garcia is yet. He’s still very early in his career and I feel like his stuff is maybe a little ahead of his numbers right now. I don’t see ace potential in there but I could see him growing into a top 50 starter in MLB.

raining threes and The Beard like this.
  7. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

That's unrealistic!!!!

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  8. Landry's Tooth

I would say if the Cardinals desire to save prospects in a Soto deal, Goldschmidt has far more value than a rental in Bell. They also have Luken Baker and Juan Yepez to fall back to.

Let's say Goldschmidt was sent to Houston.

Then the Astros send Luis Garcia, Jake Odorrizi, and Hunter Brown to the Cardinals.

The Cardinals then package Garcia, Brown, Gorman, Carlson, and 2 more prospects for Soto and Bell.

They would have added an arm and upgraded Carlson/Goldschmidt to Bell/Soto.

Not crazy, but not sure Soto is worth that to them...

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://nypost.com/2022/07/21/astros-join-luis-castillo-trade-market-with-yankees-dodgers/

The Yankees and Dodgers have been seen as among the favorites for All-Star pitcher Luis Castillo, the top starter on the market. But the Astros are among other teams showing keen interest in Castillo. Sweeny Murti of WFAN first mentioned this.

Hard to see Cincinnati sending him to St. Louis, its bitter rival. But the Cardinals, hurt by injuries, are seeking one or two starting pitchers.

Frankie Montas is due to start Friday and could join Castillo at the top of the market. The belief is he just had shoulder inflammation.

The Astros appear to be looking for a catcher, but perhaps just a backup catcher.

Htown Legend likes this.
  10. awc713

awc713 Member

Can someone find a way to just send Click excerpts from this board? Jeez. The answer to back-to-back-to-back WS rings is right in front on you James!

11. awc713

awc713 Member

I was thinking about this too. The Astros seem to have an impressive stable of AAAA arms, both in the pen and rotation, as well as a good number of, at the minimum, rosterable outfielders stashed in the system. Maybe we’re looking at more Straw type moves where we use this surplus/logjam to address the lower levels…but a ton of teams could use a lot of pitchers in our system who have no shot with the October roster crunch. Guys like Bielak, Martinez, etc…we have a system full of capable MLB pitchers. Idk how Click can utilize it but definitely something interesting to watch.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  12. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Honestly Im calling the Cards as we speak and asking them what we can do with Odorizzi, Solomon and Ivey for Zack Thompson and Alec Burleson.

Perfect time to make a decent trade to open a spot for McCullers

After that its all up in the Air

Call the Nats
    Josh Bell and T.J. White
    for
    J.J. Matejevic, Alex Santos and Jonathan Bermudez

to me thats about it.

Id Keep Urquidy on the Burner for any offer that comes my way looking for a SP. I would want a top flight Bull Pen arm and a prospect team that could work there would be The Cubs for Robertson and James Triantos

Id Call up Burleson and Brown

13. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Hmm... might have been a nice move for the Astros if Rosenthal is healthy and still throwing gas.

14. Houston_Rockets

Almost every GM when talking about the trade deadline always says the typical "We are going to look to improve blah blah" nonsense, even if they are sellers, typical GM talk. But that Click interview we saw yesterday was kinda of aggressive with it. The Astros according to him are the ones initiating talks, as opposed to a more passive approach by other GMs because of draft and all star stuff.

It makes it more inexcusable if we barely do any moves come trade deadline, and Click knows that is what fans feel when listening to that. I like that.

As for Castillo, we all know that we don't need him, it 100% should not be a priority, until you salivate at the idea of a guy who already has elite stuff, to come to our system who will enhance every mechanical aspect plus make him pitch "the right way". If he is a possible #1, open to extend that contract, then all of a sudden he might be the only priority. When you consider that teams are now more focused on Soto and he is not the only must get, it eases our position just a little.

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Hasn't pitched since 2020 and currently dealing with a hamstring injury and is not expected to help the Giants for 'several weeks' according to their manager.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Garcia and Javier both have ERAs lower than Castillo since they joined the majors and both are in the Top 53 in pitching RA9-WAR (FanGraphs WAR based on ERAs). Both have characteristics of FIP beaters (high LAs, consistently low BABIPs, xBABIPs) which they have both been since entering the league. Javier's ERA is only slightly lower than his FIP this year, but that is likely just bad luck giving up hits after walks than vice versa and good luck with a few balls not going over the fence.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  17. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Easiest way to beat your FIP is have a good defense behind you. The mark of a good/great defensive team is if nearly every pitcher has an ERA lower than his FIP.

And the inverse, the SF Giants of all teams have the lowest FIP in baseball, but it doesn't matter because their defense is old and terrible.
    Another great example is the 2011 Phillies, all four aces had ERA's higher than their FIPs.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Javier has had an ERA near league best lower than FIP almost his entire professional career. No Astros pitcher (and only 2-3 leaguewide) is close to Javier in ERA-FIP since he's been an Astros. Javier will likely remain a FIP beater provided he doesn't continue supressing home runs or he cuts his walks.

20. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Astros get: Gregory Soto, Andrew Chafin and a prospect
    Tigers get: Shawn Dubin, Brandon Bielak and Bryan Abreu

Astros pen becomes unquestionably the best in baseball
    Tigers get a high upside pen arm in Abreu who has more control than either of the two they are giving up, a starter in Bielak who lacks a lot of upside, but could immediately step in to their mlb rotation and does have potential as a back end starter, and another SP prospect who is struggling but has the stuff to be a mid rotation starter if not more