1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] Do you think the Rockets should tank or try to win?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MystikArkitect, Jul 17, 2022.

?

What do you want the Rockets to do this season?

1. Win and shoot for playoffs/play in. Fill out roster with Free Agents.

2. Lose as much as possible for another high draft pick.

3. Lose organically while still experimenting. Aim for a decently high draft pick.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Some folk despise tanking and think a team doing their best is a better watch even if it only eeks out 3-5 more wins.

Maybe there are delusional people who think trying 110% hard will nab us 10 more wins, but I can only speak for myself.

2. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

As bad as Wood was (fools gold in my eyes), I think he was responsible for both sets of 6 game win streaks the past two seasons, he was the best player by far in both winning streaks. You say we were intentionally tanking at the end of last year, but no team has players throw games, they tank by changing the lineup, Wood was the key piece missing from the lineup. This team will be bad, and it will be by design. Jabari looks like hes got to learn the game, I think he will need a minimum half season to get there like Jalen did. Once you lose a bunch of games by the mid way point, then you likely find a home for EG and begin to intentionally tank. The roster has talent this year, but no one seems disciplined at all, JC gets a lot of hate for his horrible shot selection, but its really the entire team that struggles with being efficient.

Caesar likes this.
  3. marinara

marinara Member

Tanking and rebuilding are different.

Looking at the roster it’s full of kids, they are giving keys to younger players to iron out mistakes and grow.

theDude likes this.
  4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Your question makes it seem like a choice between two different things. Trust me it's not.

Rox will try to win and also tank in the process so you don't have to worry about anything.

BallSoHarden likes this.
  5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes, I've compared him to a young lew alcindor before....but I pump the brakes on that.

Lew was dominating Rucker Park at age 16. Not sure Wembayama could do the same.

If Wembayama could develop a hook shot then it's game over.

Caesar likes this.
  6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Where's the multiple choices option? These two can be the same. Actually, more likely than not to be the same.

"win and shoot for playoffs/play in"

"lose organically while still experimenting"

7. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

When did Rucker Park become more competitive than international Olympic level competition? I guess on specific days it could be better back then.

I agree on holding off comparisons to people who are top 5 of all time.

#127 BallSoHarden, Jul 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
  8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

It was back then.....and Euro League was a bunch of piss ants back then.

Now the summer league is the Drew league. I would like to see how Wembanyama
    would do in the Drew League.

As I've said, how Chet does this year will say a lot as to how Wembanyama will do.

The greats of the game on and off the court would go Rucker Park. Kids wouldn't know.
    https://www.complex.com/sports/history-of-rucker-park-true-basketball-mecca

BallSoHarden likes this.
  9. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

They know it only because its in NBA 2K

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Oh really? Wow. I know it from Wilt Chamberlain going there and having Lew Alcindor as a
    16 year old kid giving Wilt all he could handle and then some. Wilt was a pro at the time.

BallSoHarden likes this.
  11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Hate to break the news but you are wrong about Wood .... He was part of 7 of the best 8 lineups last year.

The Rockets had Two lineups that had a positive net rating and again, Wood was part of both (E. Gordon, C. Wood, K. Porter Jr, J. Green, J. Tate) & (E. Gordon, C. Wood, K. Porter Jr, G. Mathews, J. Tate)

Here's the advanced stats - Lineups Advanced | Stats | NBA.com

He was bad defensively, but Sengun was only a tiny bit better statistically.

I'm just keeping it honest ....

12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I based it on a stat that was posted that was simply ofrtg with him on the court vs without him on the court. Too lazy to dig through all the threads to find it, but I do appreciate guys like you that bring this kind of information to the Garm. I just think 20/9 will be replaced easy enough with the combination of Jabari/Eason and the defense is going to improve by leaps and bounds. Our transition game should be among the best in the league if we aren’t taking the ball out of the basket most every time. Sengun and Jabari get rebounds and look for the outlet pass, something Wood was allergic to. Eason will have to learn that skill set as he seems to want to go coast to coast most of the time.

13. MystikArkitect

One is deliberately trying to win and the other is accepting organic wins and losses through trial and error with the personnel.

14. StevieCrossover

I prefer to win or try winning, but with wembly and scoot as the top 2, rockets just need to tank 1 last time and then hope for the best. After the 2023 season, there will be no excuse for tanking.

15. r-fan-since-81

r-fan-since-81 Contributing Member

Lets Win Baby!!! We already have 7 1st round draft pics from the last 2 years. Lets Go Rockets!!!

PatBev likes this.
  16. smr6

smr6 Member

17. verysimplejason

Just let the youngs play, make mistakes and win. Do not intentionally lose. It's the worst way to build a team. Somehow, you have to start winning after several years of mediocrity.

18. i3artow i3aller

19. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

If next year was a normal draft I’d say let’s win and improve.

But if they say Victor Wembayana is going to be a generational talent then….

Let’s go full tank mode!

He could be the difference that wins us multiple championships.

20. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Victor or bust-