1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Man...We got unlucky with Jabari Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shakes05, Jul 9, 2022.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

After seeing Jabari's defense, I am delighted we picked him. Jabari and Tari and Alpi will be an excellent defensive frontcourt.

I think Alpi's blocks will go up, with Bari and Tari making it harder to even get close to the rim.

If someone gets past them, boom, Alpi will swat it in his face.

Drift Monkey, King1, Boii and 9 others like this.
  2. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

That’s a very level headed take. Setting such high expectations on rookies is a path that always leads to disappointment. Instead enjoy the positive aspects the kid brings already. Tremendous shooter elite at defense. He’ll be good for winning ball. I imagine the KD comparisons are due to his size, shot, and rip through move? If I remember correctly from his college days, KD was much more fluid on the ball though (interesting enough bari is very fluid on defense and able to get into a stance at his height).

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

Paolo, while a great talent, would take the ball out of greens hands. Not even taking into account for sengun and KPJ. I was hoping if we drafted him he’d play the short roll on offense but I was very worried once he caught it he’s go into slow process mode to play heliocentric ball. In that situation I’d rather KPJ and Green cook honestly. Making basic reads to run the offense from a standstill isn’t that difficult (literally just read where the low man is going). I’d rather have the dynamic three level scorer have the ball and pressure the defense into changing than reacting to what the defense is doing and process it. It’s what I thought held up Tatum during the finals. Draymond and Gary Payton are great defenders. They disguise their movements and pressure you to spots you’re not comfortable with. They make you think. But at the end of the day Tatum is taller than Payton and nastier at the rim than draymond. Just catch it and shoot or catch it and go yam. In short I’d rather be the aggressor than the reactor.

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yes, I do, it does, it makes no sense.

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What does age have to do with anything?

Draymond showed the same skills he has as a pro in college he did not have to develop something he was as weak as Smith's dribbling.

Draymond was getting triple-doubles in college he was drafted at 22 and was getting 20 minutes a game as a rookie it was not his 3rd year in the NBA.

What did he have to develop that was so weak like Smith's dribbling.
    Banchero would have come in and would have been probably the best playmaker on the team and would have been a three level scorer who has shown he can play with great talent.

He is not a heliocentric player its a myth.

The bolded describes Banchero to a T and it more describes Smith's weaknesses than Banchero, Smith currently is not a great 3 level scorer, so I don't really understand your point.

Banchero is very much like Tatum much more like Tatum than Smith.

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I asked that same question and got clowned for it, it's an important question when building a team.

Of course, he will ask for the max, and if he becomes an NBA defensive type he would probably deserve it going by the market.

7. Landry's Tooth

Banchero to Tatum?

Next you say Kanter is like Mutombo... Carmelo like Kawhi...

Polar opposites for half the game of basketball.

Draymond on nbadraft.net

Doesn't excel at one particular area
    Lacks explosiveness, agility, alusiveness
    Not a threat to shake his defender off the dribble

Of course this guy said he has nba range and vision where he shoots roughly the same as Westbrook from 3 in his career and couldn't crack 3 assists on a team with Klay and Steph until age 24, 3 years into the league. So guys can be wrong...

Also, Draymond had 3 triple doubles his entire 4 years in college. Let's not pretend he was getting them all the time... he wasn't even close to a 4th one.... he had ZERO triple doubles until his 3rd season in college.

Banchero would have done all those things and we would have the worst defense in the nba for the next 5 years and help okc rebuild faster...

You're arguing Carmelo over Tatum. One plays winning basketball and the other looks for stats...

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This is so much bullshit, you can fit Banchero into any team and he does need the ball to be effective, he just played with 3 other #1 picks and did not dominate the ball.

He has not had to dominate the ball in SL and has led the team in assists.

The thing is he can approach Lebron and Giannis and the comps for Melo are flawed because Mwlo was way more ball-dominant and did not have the playmaking ability of Banchero, Melo was a top 50 NBA player so why would you be upset with a Melo that can also playmake for others and plays better defense?
    I have been saying the same things about Smith since the end of the season, this is not about just watching him in SL, I have no idea what you are talking about, you don't have some greater knowledge than me.

Age has nothing to do with his weaknesses, you got 15 year olds who have better dribbling packages.

Nobody is labeling him a bust at least I am not I am just pointing out a huge weakness in his game, I would like him to be a face-up drive threat, somebody that can create his own shot and can score when the jump shot is not falling, how is that asking for too much from the #3 pick?

200+ plus hrs scouting these players?

LOL if you say so.

9. Landry's Tooth

Bingo... Banchero would be the better pick without Green on the team.

Rocket Guy likes this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What if Banchero is the better player?

Since when has Green established himself as the franchise guy?

Green would thrive alongside Banchero with all the attention he would command.

So I guess no team can have multiple high level scorers on the team?

Too bad Durrant and Curry could not play together or Giannis and Middleton or Durrant and Kyrie or George and Kawhi or Tatum and Brown or Paul and Harden, I can go on and on.

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why?

So Durrant and Curry were a bad pairing?

Or Tatum and Brown can't ever be a great team?

12. Landry's Tooth

Great, what if one of those other guys was better but we didn't know because Banchero dominated the ball?

Banchero lead their team in usage at 27.5.

Next closest starter was Keels at 20.7 and then Moore at 19.5.

If you look at all 8 players on Duke who played 400+ minutes, Banchero was 5th in points per attempt.

So there were 4 more efficient scorers than him. He took more than 100 shots above the next closest teammate.

Tells me he doesn't make good decisions with the ball... generally...

Moore shot better at the 2, 3, and free throw. His older age meant he went lower in the draft but that doesn't mean Banchero will improve to exceed him.

Tyreke Evans was ROY with Luka like numbers and then got worse...

All a guessing game...

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yes Banchero to Taum their games are very similar, it's becoming very obvious you don't have a clue.

There were videos of 2 comparing their games in the draft threads.

I am not arguing Carmelo over Tatum I am saying Banchero can be better than Melo and he can play defense and play make better than Melo while being similar scorers.

So now your entire argument is that Draymond did not get triple-doubles until 5 years in?

Really?

What does that have to do with anything?

14. Landry's Tooth

Because Banchero having the ball hurts Green's development. Banchero isn't a great shooter and would clog the paint limiting the effectiveness of drives by KPJ and Green.

You have 2 elite dribble drive guards that would be nullified to a degree with Banchero.

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The bold illustrates my point perfectly they are around the same Banchero was the much better player but the usage is not that much greater.

I have no idea what your point is anymore you are just saying random ****.

I have no idea what Tyreke has to do with anything, Harden was once the 6th man and went on to MVP what's your point?

16. rlivz

rlivz Contributing Member

Why is this dude talking about Banchero? Why is anyone talking about Banchero? Does nobody here remember that the Rockets never had a chance to pick Banchero?

17. Landry's Tooth

Same ages...

Banchero
    2pt: 52.5
    3pt: 33.8
    Ft: 72.9
    Reb: 7.8
    Asst: 3.2
    FGA: 13.2
    Usage: 27.5

Carmelo
    2pt: 49.6
    3pt: 33.7
    Ft: 70.6
    Reb: 10.0
    Asst: 2.2
    FGA: 17.5
    Usage: 29.3

Looks pretty close to me... 1 assist, 2 rebounds, 4 attempts, and a couple percent on the 2s.

Steals/blocks about even... half a steal higher for carmelo...

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You really don't have a clue and ignored all of the examples.

You just posted that 3 of guys at Duke had around the same usage but for some reason that would change in Houston?

Banchero would not clog the paint he is mainly a face-up player its apparent you really don't have a clue, he has rarely posted up in the SL.

Banchero would make Green's job easier because he would take some of the attention from him and would be another playmaker.

19. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Obsessively spamming the board defending a player the Rockets had no opportunity to take is a totally normal behavior.

20. Landry's Tooth

What does you making misleading statements matter?

Isn't that obvious...

You're comparing a college junior and his 2 triple doubles to a 18 year old freshman.

Tatum amd Banchero had similar offensive production. I wasn't aware Tatum had a reputation as a bad defender when being drafted. I guess you know more than me. I had not heard that before..