1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Man...We got unlucky with Jabari Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shakes05, Jul 9, 2022.

1. EugeneK

EugeneK Member

We were just one day away from picking Banchero smh.

2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I wonder what we gonna pay smith after his rookie deal if he's just a great 3 point shooter and great defender and can't generate any shots on his own. Will he ask for the max like Ayton and we lose him

mario_v likes this.
  3. Starvela

Starvela Contributing Member

exactly how I feel..So so close…I do have more hope for Jalen being better than Cade but I would easily swap Green and Smith for Cade and Banchero..

4. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Tari my goodness

5. Starvela

Starvela Contributing Member

I’m not gonna lie, I watched so many you tube videos of Smith, Paolo and Chet prior to the draft and I was so confused as to why the experts had Smith as the consensus #1 pick…sucks for us but the NBA scouts/gm’s definitely got it right…

6. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

Pfff... Enough. Sing along, people.

Philosophy of the World Lyrics
    [Verse 1]
    Oh, the rich people want what the poor people's got
    And the poor people want what the rich people's got

And the skinny people want what the fat people's got
    And the fat people want what the skinny people's got

[Chorus]
    You can never please anybody in this world

[Verse 2]
    The short people want what the tall people's got
    And the tall people want what the short people's got

The little kids want what the big kid's got
    And the big kids want what the little kid's got

[Chorus]

[Bridge 1]
    Oh, the girls with short hair want long hair
    And the girls with long hair want short hair
    Oh, the boys with cars want motorcycles
    And the boys with motorcycles want cars
    [Chorus]

[Bridge 2]
    It doesn't matter what you do
    It doesn't matter what you say
    There will always be
    One who wants things the opposite way
    It doesn't matter where you go
    It doesn't matter who you see
    There will always be
    Someone who disagrees
    We do our best
    We try to please
    But we're like the rest
    We are never at ease

[Verse 1]
    Oh, the rich people want what the poor people's got
    And the poor people want what the rich people's got

And the skinny people want what the fat people's got
    And the fat people want what the skinny people's got

[Chorus]

burlesk likes this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

this thread will age like an avocado

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

You're the high one here. I see you posted a lot of crap but still havent responded to Kawhi.

Jabari just put up 19 9 playing out of position and shot 60% from 3. So much for not being able to get separation on his man due to his "low dribbling skills".

9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I said on this board that he can get 15-20ppg, it's literally just strawman bullsh** with you and you jumped into this clearly not even knowing what I said about Jabari in the last weeks and what people I responded to.

Also look up Kawhi NCAA games before parroting what others say and thinking you have a point, he was secondary playmaker for San Diego often and far more advanced than Jabari in that aspect and driving+open court dribbling.

And you're honestly a clown for not even replying to my other points, stop trying to argue with me if you literally don't have any point that applies to my actual former statements on Jabari or when you don't even know who I replied to when mentioning the comparisons.

You honestly shouldn't even try to debate players, the way you talk about guys like KAT by just mentioning their apg or when you don't know how Kawhi played at college is just embarrassing.

jiggyfly likes this.
  10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Super Saiyan Jabari is going to be Kevin Garnett with a sniper rifle...

Watch the F out.

11. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

12. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

You basically described klay Thompson but as a 4

Milos likes this.
  13. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

It's sad how quickly we forget how bids score. They all do necessarily rely on a handle to score. You need to develop moves in the paint and with jabaris shooting, he doesn't need to make a living off of them. Honestly having handles to get by defenders should not be a criteria for a 4 just like having no post moves should not be a criteria for guards.

He will develop some on on one moves and he has already displayed the ability to hit turnaround jumpers.

Gone are the days where there big goes against your big man to man. Now days it's all about creating mismatches. What guard is going to defend jabaris turn around jumper?

Drift Monkey likes this.
  14. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

Here is the thing. Just because Paolo is able to create his own shot and distribute better, does not mean he will end up being the better player. It is a team sport. With Paolo and his playing style….he MUST be a 25/8rb/6ast guy. He has to have the ball in his hands to be effective. Jabari can have an extremely low usage rate, average 18-20, shoot a high percentage and be a lock down defender and be more effective. You need players like this to win the title! Paolo has looked great individually so far don’t get me wrong. He looked like a grown man playing with kids at times, but other than some nice flashy passes he was in a lot of ISO situations that stopped the ball (ex. Melo, Harden).He also would have fouled out and had an 8 turnover game.Paolo will put up numbers but will have major growing pains. It just does not lead to winning basketball in the playoffs with these high usage guys.

To me, Paolo is Melo and Jabari is Bosh. Sure, early on Melo made the playoffs, scored a bunch of points and was a clear 2nd in ROY behind Lebron. Kirk Hinrich also finished ahead of Bosh in ROY voting. Fact of the matter is players with Jabari’s skillset NEVER get the props they deserve, in large part because the media naturally gravitates towards story lines, flashy play, etc. However, over the course of a career, I would take Bosh in his prime over Melo in his. Sure, Melo got buckets but the Heat were not winning titles without Bosh and if you swapped the two I don’t think they even win 2 out of 4. That’s just me.

In the end Paolo could very well be a hall of famer but unless he approaches LeBron, Giannis status it will lead to disappointment because you have to build an entire roster around him, meanwhile you can plug Jabari into any system and instantly adds just as much value and allows other players to handle the ball. I was pro Paolo at first but I have converted.

15. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Bro, I put in tons of hours evaluating draft picks this year. Well over 200+ hours. Do I expect guys on this board to be like me and invest that kind of time looking at potential prospects? No, but if you had done the smallest amount of research on Jabari Smith you would have read about his supposed "flaws". This is STILL a 19 year old kid, regardless of where he was drafted. And people are already labeling him a bust based off what 3 summer league games? Do you want him to cross guys over and drive to the hole like a young T-Mac when his shot is not falling? Maybe you want him to facilitate and average 10 assist a game like he's Jokic. News flash none of those things are Jabari Smith's game. You are a walking contradiction. First you say it's not about comparing him to other players but then you mention Keegan Murray in the same post? Make it make sense....

16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So when I sit at these SL games, and hear people behind me chirping about Jabari missing shots, I stay quiet, like Chris Tucker.

Guys that have watched enough hoops don't much care about the makes and misses. It is about the shot quality and the comfortability of taking the shot. Jabari was sublime against OKC, he was just missing shots, shots that he loves. Hearing ANY negativity about Jabari after that game in particular really shows you what you are dealing with in terms of basketball intelligence. He was a god damned savant.

(Don't forget all the dorks dropping dumps on JG last year too. Calling the dude Gerald Green, etc...)

JG, Tari, Jabari, Sengun is f'ing rebuilding filet mignon... No idea where the ceiling is on any of these monsters.

#416 RudyTBag, Jul 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
  17. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Exactly bro, one thing I'm not worried about one bit is Jabari's ability to make shots. This kid can make these shots literally with his eyes closed. His defense and his shooting are both ELITE. There is a very apparent reason why Jabari was expected to be the #1 pick by many basketball experts way smarter than 99% of the people on this board. People here are acting as if players like Smith are a dime a dozen. This kid has a very unique skill set. How many guys in the NBA over 6'10 can be potential all defense first team while shooting 40% + from trey in the league even right now? Out of all the 30 teams in the association, I can't think of one team that wouldn't love a guy like Jabari Smith who can play great defense (legitimately guard all 5 positions) while consistently stretching the floor. I doubt we'll win more than 30 games next year, so the likelihood of us having a top 5 pick next year is extremely high. We'll definitely be able to add another dynamic scorer in next year's draft trust me. And don't forget about the boat loads of cap space we have next summer. Rockets are in a great spot!!!

D-rock, TheJet, zeeshan2 and 6 others like this.
  18. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

It depends on how we define "great". Jabari is probably the 1st generation of the "ideal NBA big", whereas Ayton is more of a traditional NBA big.

Very few bigs in this league can do this. Smith here isn't anchoring the paint, but anchoring the perimeter. You can practically visualize a defensive zone around the top of the key that Smith set up. The fact that he also spreads his arms like a soccer goal keeper means he's cutting off a lot of passing lanes.

In addition, if Jabari Smith can hit 38%+ of his 3s at a very high clip, he also spaces the floor, providing more room for other players to operate.

Ayton cannot replicate this kind of impact on offense and defense. He can protect the paint, but we've seen with the likes of Gobert how being able to shut down the perimeter and switch on guards full time is arguably more important. On offense, Ayton can pressure the paint with decent mid-range and post game, but you'd rather a floor spacer instead to open up the paint.

The most intriguing part of Smith is he also has a very good NBA frame, allowing up to put on weight. When that happens, he can also protect the paint better. In addition, the Rockets can go small ball with Smith without sacrificing a lot of height and defense.

19. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

He’s going to be a nice player.

His offense isn’t as dynamic as Banchero and Chet, but ******* his defense is elite! I think he’ll have some growing pains, but ultimately he’s going to be very nice alongside Jalen and Sengun.

jiggyfly and D-rock like this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

More like a rotten egg.