1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

rockets need a rim protector center

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by koopa, Jul 8, 2022.

1. koopa

koopa Member

I don’t know how we have so many talented fans and coaches and not one realizes small ball won’t work unless you have steph curry and Klay in your team. You passed on so many rim protectors in the past and Silas expects a scrawny jabari with sengun at the 5 is able to improve the worst defense in the league?

I say the Silas project needs to end soon unless we are planning to tank for the next 3 years. I haven’t seen an offensive sequence be it planned or laissez faire Dantoni style. It seems all Silas knows about is street basketball in how all players r playing hero ball. Silas is a great sweet guy and a good players coach; but he’s no nba coach if you expect wins. This isn’t about the age excuse because 19 year olds can play well under a planned coaching sequence both on offense and defense but Silas has none of it as a whole.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

What if Tillman paid for center protecting rims to be installed at the Toyota Center instead?

C'mon Tillman pay up.

hakeem94, Jontro and Sep11ie like this.
  3. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Man, I wish you would have been more transparent about your post in the title. I wouldn’t have clicked if I knew this thread would just been another anti-Silas whine fest.

Mathloom, cbass, javal_lon and 7 others like this.
  4. xaos

xaos Member

Is this another @Imanimal account? That would be your third thread on the third account if so

5. koopa

koopa Member

No look at my join date. I’m an OG fan . A very concerned one

6. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

7. xaos

xaos Member

Ah ok well in that case

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I’m fine rolling with Sengun, Garuba and Boban at center this season. If Holman balls out in Summer League and camp he can have Boban’s spot. Worst that can happen is Garuba doesn’t produce, and then we have a better idea of what we have. I liked him playing small ball 5 at the end of the season; albeit a small sample size. If he can turn that flab into muscle, he’s got the 7’3” wingspan to guard anyone.

9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

A. There is little doubt the defence will be better this year

B. Yes, we lack a rim protector. This is not a newsflash to almost everyone here. The question is, WHO IS AVAILABLE that is also worth wasting a development spot on??

34to11 and D-rock like this.
  10. jogo

jogo Member

I don't think Boban will play much, if he is even on the team. Garuba is a backup and we don't know how much he can handle. Sengun is our starting center and his defense leaves a lot to be desired as a rim protector. He's young, he could improve his D or this may just be who he is.

Jabari and Tari can both help protect the rim some. Jabari could be a good rim protector, we don't really know because he had Kessler do that at Auburn. Plus he's a PF now but perhaps he can switch on D with Sengun some.

I don't think we'll get a rim protector before next season so we have to deal with what we've got.

11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

We have one..... his name is Josh Christopher

banzai likes this.
  12. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Victor Wembanyama

RocketsTerps, topfive, Caesar and 4 others like this.
  13. lpbman

lpbman Member

Looking at NBA reference to make a comment on this thread lamenting we didn't sign Omer Yertseven last preseason... summer league? Whenever it was he lit us up before getting guaranteed money, possibly making a trade for Jackson Hayes...

Saw that Sengun and Pat Bev have more blocks per 36 than Giannis and Stephen Adams respectively... lol

Also, who the hell is Daniel Gafford? Never hit my radar before today but really sweet numbers on a fantastic contract.

D-rock and comrade like this.
  14. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

I hate to break it to you but Rockets are 100% all in on small ball unless we somehow get the #1 pick next year and draft Wemby.

15. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Which is why they will never win until they get a coach who can coach small ball or anything else.

16. weopeo9744

weopeo9744 Member

Zhou Qi

CarlosGM likes this.
  17. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

They have one more year of a 3 year tank, don't abandon the plan now.

Yung-T, eliefor3, Rochut and 2 others like this.
  18. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

we need people to rebound too

D-rock likes this.
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's why they have Sengun.

cmoak1982 and Salvy like this.
  20. JamalP.

JamalP. Member

Moses Brown