1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Job hunting while having a job.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by cheke64, Apr 22, 2014.

Tags:
  1. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Oh for sure. I'm guessing by your join date that you also got into IT at the right time. 5-10 years from now, entry level IT will be so overwhelmed with potential employees that wages will probably drop. Another reason why I try to be adaptable and do things I enjoy rather than chase trends. I did some basic IT support at the NGO I worked at (along with like 50 other responsibilities) and I hated every second of it. I have to learn coding in my MA and I hate that even more (although I do like STATA)

2. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Bah oui! Good luck. What field are you in?

clos4life likes this.
  3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Moved to Monday; it's the founder & CEO and he's pretty slammed today.

My day job is Healthcare IT Project Manager.

clos4life and dmoneybangbang like this.
  4. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Honestly? Probably for the best. I feel like a late Friday afternoon interview, in the summer, isn't super helpful for anyone. That's cool though. A friend of mine from undergrad shifted from being an analyst for the DOD to being a program manager for Roblox. I don't really understand what he does, but I know it pays well.

Invisible Fan and Xerobull like this.
  5. dmoneybangbang

Lots of room for growth there… Healthcare companies are comically behind on technology.

6. clos4life

clos4life Member

Is it worth getting google certificate and join IT? After 18 years as an educator I think it's maybe time for a change.

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

The reality is that inflation is through the roof and workers deserve high raises. But since inflation is hurting margins, no companies is going to do that.

Other companies, who actually have no one in the position, HAVE to pay market rate.

I switched jobs in October for a 25k increase and full time remote. Six months later, I had a recruiter (from Tupperware of all places - lol) try to recruit me for same title, another 25k increase, but I couldn't justify switching jobs after just six months.

Job market in accounting atleast, is nuts.

Andre0087, cheke64, Xerobull and 2 others like this.
  8. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Oh yeah, and workers have been underpaid vis a vis increased efficiency and inflation for decades. Always frustrating trying to explain when I was in recruiting (and this was pre-COVID). If you want quality talent, especially in a big metro area, you have to pay a reasonable salary. Especially when a lot of families have 2 working parents and may be paying for childcare.

9. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

I used to recruit accountants actually! I worked for a company called Roth. Brutal job market for recruiters...I was recruiting people without college degrees and a year of experience who were making my salary. It was nuts

10. Xerobull

No kidding. It’s a slow process. And Project Management itself is a newer and confusing field for companies.

It’s never too late. Not sure what a google certificate is but with the job market as hot as it is, you can get a decent starting pay as a new person in the field.

#50 Xerobull, Jul 8, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
  11. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Funny enough Ive thought about education for awhile (on the collegiate level). Theres probably an alternate universe where Im a History teacher and Rutgers grad living in NYC.

clos4life likes this.
  12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Short version: more $.

But this other job is also way more interesting. I'm kinda bored with what I do now.

clos4life, cheke64 and Xerobull like this.
  13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Depends on the cert, but it's way better than walking in with nothing.

With project mgmt, getting a PMP will juice it but if you're new, you'll need a year or two breaking in the industry and wages.

What role are you thinking of pursuing?

Xerobull likes this.
  14. Invisible Fan

DOD doesn't give stonk opiums or RSIs.

Huge metaverse play with Roblox w/ the employee shenanigans of a coinbase or crypto firm.

15. Xerobull

Same here.

Companies are reeling and hoping their current workhorse employees don’t realize how bad their salary compression is.

Companies just can’t pivot and budget fast enough, some for financial reasons but mostly due to being stuck in their ways and refusing to pay their employees more than they make. Which is ridiculous because mediocre managers and executives are a dime a dozen but truly skilled, experienced SMEs (subject matter experts) are hard to find and are worth more due to supply/demand.

Once their rich talent leaves, the company has to spend as much as the outgoing, seasoned pro would have taken (which is less than market to stay in a comfortable spot) to replace them with a relative newbie. Experience lost, institutional knowledge lost, bad reputation for the company with sites like Glass Door, bad morale because the leftover workers lose that resource.

clos4life, TheJuice and Haymitch like this.
  16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

That is a weird phenomenon, and I have seen it many times before.

I've also spoken with people in senior leadership positions about this and they see it the same way. Yet, nothing changes. It's odd. I guess, as you said, these companies are not nimble enough and are so bogged down by their own administrative bureaucracies that they have basically imprisoned themselves.

Xerobull and TheJuice like this.
  17. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Companies also dont offer incentives to offset salary rises.

I think part of it is pretentious middle aged, middle class, middle managers who base salaries off of what they made 20 yeara ago

Xerobull likes this.
  18. Mummywrap

Mummywrap Member

Truth!

I took a look around and ended up in a position I had no experience in and it got me a 75% annual raise.

Andre0087 likes this.
  19. clos4life

clos4life Member

Not sure yet. I've taught, coached, been a supervisor and now a jack of all trades as needed by my principal. Just have enjoyed building computers in the past and was thinking maybe IT would be worth exploring as a new career. I guess I'm pretty early in the process of exploring other career options.

20. Invisible Fan

if you want to "hack" an engineer position, the corresponding cert will help. A side project(s) on github with the language you want to develop is good (be sure to write unit tests or it won't look as strong). Contributing to open source also similar and helpful.

Doing hacker ranks or something similar is a grind not many will do, but there's a strong correlation between the higher you go and your salary ceiling.

Development is endless learning but there's potential for endless problem solving with a stable paycheck.

IT work is vast. Certs are definitely there to get attention and base salary. You'll need to be patient and expand into different OS, containers, enterprise tools. It's kind of like a layer cake, where you're better off focusing on one thing then branching the fundamentals into a different system.

Cyber security is also very new and in high demand. That takes a bit more work, though it is still attainable with free classes or affordable info.

Andre0087, clos4life and Xerobull like this.