1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 NBA summer league

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JayZ750, Jul 2, 2022.

1. i3artow i3aller

2. OkayAyeReloaded

Chet will be just fine, especially as he gains strength, but I'm laughing at how the big man handled him this game.

It's a double-edged sword having that kind of swagger and confidence in your game this early and on social media, people will start taking it to his chest for that. But just keep getting better and it won't matter with time.

3. i3artow i3aller

4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Chet homers are really melting down trying to justify Lofton eating him for lunch. Chet was only slightly exposed. It's okay to take an L. but man Chet was talking that hot sh*t.

5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Not exposed at all. He’s going to have to learn to deal with players that will try to out muscle him. Use his length.
    His overall defense was still great, can tell the legs got tired in the second half after banging in the first. Shooting in second half was bad.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. j@amc

j@amc Member

And O. Dieng. His box score wasn't great, but he moves so smoothly with the ball for 6'10. Much more like someone half a foot shorter.

With Holmgren, Pokusevski, Jal Williams, Giddey, and Dieng on the court, the Thunder have lots of disruptive length. That group offered better shooting than I thought they would, and they rallied on the defensive boards. The Grizzlies shot 22.9% from the field in the second half and got zero offensive rebounds. Pretty strong effort on the glass.

Yung-T, TheJuice and raining threes like this.
  7. OkayAyeReloaded

I mean Lofton is nice. He's like the anti-Chet, Holmgren needs to gain 40lbs to play center and Lofton needs to lose 40 lbs and play PF.

The man clearly has a skillset

Summer League lol, don't get too high or low on guys, but it is entertaining.

8. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Watching Chet I feel like they are doing him a disservice by playing him at center. He has handles and moves well. He should play sf until he gets more strength.

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good luck defending the perimeter, Chet...

hakeem94 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  10. HTown Spike Lee

Certain rows closest to the court are reserved. All seats in the remaining rows are general admission. I am headed out there today for a few days of Rockets and poker. I encourage anyone who can to give it a try once. It's a blast for a hoop head.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  11. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I don't think he can play SF, it requires a very different tier of skills and speed. Chet is quick and agile for his size, but if we are comparing him to your average SF, almost every single one of them will have the speed and mobility advantage over him. His stamina will not last trying to catch up to 3s.

In addition, putting him at the perimeter nullifies his length and shot blocking.

Yung-T and hakeem94 like this.
  12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Chet is a 4 that can play perimeter and weak side shot blocking in the mold of JJJ. Playing him like Gobert would be dumb of Okc

Yung-T, xaos and hakeem94 like this.
  13. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I’ll be there around 2 pm. I grabbed tickets to the game!

14. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Dude looks like he defends the perimeter just fine. You see him blocking PGs that try to isolate him. He may not be as quick as all the other SF but he plays smart and is in good position to recover.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  15. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

JJJ is a pretty good comp, I actually think he should be playing more center as well.

But, to maximize Chet's defensive impact he's gonna have to play some drop. A lot of the young stars are perimeter players. You don't want your best defensive player standing in the corner guarding PJ Tucker waiting for the occasional weak side block. If it looks like he's getting abused a lot it would be a good sign that he's contesting everything.

xaos and cmoak1982 like this.
  16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

True. I would just like to see him roam around instead of parking under the basket. Post defense against heavy weights will be his true test.

17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He’s quick enough to guard SF for sure, if they are quicker than him he has the length to recover.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

The "rationale" is solely based on a dart throw and not actually anything that has happened. hence dart throw.

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

No, a dart throw is picking a name out of a hat based on no rationale.

You disagree with the rationale, which is fine.

Interestingly, it APPEARS from reporting today, that Stone/Rockets more agreed with the rationale than not, albeit they were likely swayed to that position since Chet wouldn't provide them his medicals.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

It didn't matter when Chet and his camp knew he wasn't going to Houston