1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets add new assistant coaches

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Jul 3, 2022.

1. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Good coaches for our young team to have. Perfect time to have this influence come in and start shaping them.

I am not that worried about KPJ, I think he made a lot of progress last year with us. I think he appreciates the Rockets for giving him a opportunity to have a career in the league. Im sure Lucas has had his time with him and hopefully that relationship has helped him deal with his life issues. He knows this is a big year for him so he needs to show he is maturing and can be a team player long term, if he wants that contract extension this year.

Mr.Scary likes this.
  2. thumps

thumps Contributing Member

3. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah. That is the thing that fans don't realize about him. He not only doesn't like zone, but he will not run it.

The Rockets situation this year is a little different.... as Smith, Sengun, Eason and Porter should all be able to play without zone. Green will be fine if he has to guard point guards.

I still think zone is the way to go, but Hollins ***** out more knowledge on defense each morning on the toilet than I will ever have.

Rudyc281, Aruba77, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  4. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Awesome.

Rudyc281 and D-rock like this.
  5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Keep in mind these videos are, in some cases, years old. The following articles were back from 2014, so he obviously believes in it at least in situations. He states he doesn't believe in putting in zones early but would rather focus on man-to-man first.

https://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/nets/lionel-hollins-nets-working-zone-defense-blog-entry-1.2025260
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles...t-with-lionel-hollins-nets-versus-jason-kidds

He also wasn't a big analytics guys, but he's said he's warmed up to that a bit, too, with the changes in modern ball.

D-rock and OkayAyeReloaded like this.
  6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I did enjoy that.

D-rock likes this.
  8. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Lol, great hires but damn I'm impressed with the content in this thread.

Great news and excited about our development.

Rudyc281, AroundTheWorld and D-rock like this.
  9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I think that's where abdelfettah will prove his worth. Silas and Hollins bring great fundamental principles on both sides of the floor. coach A brings the new ideas, hopefully some elements of surprise to spice things up.

I'm very encouraged by this staff. they will definitely overachieve in the standings.

Rudyc281, D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

"Dumbass, I held up 5 fingers to hold the ball up!!"
    "Damn, coach, I thought you held up 3 fingers!"

Rudyc281, Nook and D-rock like this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Make the EGo for Thybulle + filler trade.

Hollins would absolutely love this kid.

Mr.Scary and Rudyc281 like this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

LOL Hollins was last there 10 years ago (4 coaches ago, 2 GMs ago).

“Jeff Van Gundy (or) Rick Adelman set the foundation of who the Rockets are today.” :rolleyes:

Nook, joshuaao, ElPigto and 2 others like this.
  14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Lol

15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Abdelfattah could be next Rockets HC.

"Finch and Nurse were drilled on the importance of innovation, and they've taken that into their coaching philosophies in the NBA. Finch has employed one of the more aggressive defenses in the league. Nurse has been willing to try anything, like rolling out a box-and-one defense on Stephen Curry in the 2019 NBA Finals without practicing it first.

Abdelfattah is like those two on steroids."

Like manna from heaven.

"Your coaching style has to be yours. I can't be [former Vipers head coach and current Wizards assistant] Joseph Blair. I can't be [Rockets head coach] Stephen Silas. I can't be Nick Nurse. I can't be Chris Finch," Abdelfattah said. "When I was in my first year, I was trying to learn, 'What would they do?' But at the end of the day, I'm different."

#136 D-rock, Jul 8, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
    Nook, charlieaustin and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

19. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

will weaver coaching the team last summer vs rick higgins coaching this year's summer league team seems like night and day.

hopefully rick higgins time in houston is short-lived. he sucked ass as a development coach in orlando before coming to houston.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. Sen89

Sen89 Member

In 2009, Lionel Hollins was hired as the coach of the Memphis Grizzlies. He took over a young team after the middway point of the season, and '09-'10 became his first full season as coach.

That Memphis team had a young core made up of several recent top picks -- OJ Mayo (#3 in '08), Mike Conley (#4 in '07), Rudy Gay (#8 in '06), rookie Hasheem Thabeet (#2 in' 09), as well as Marc Gasol (2nd year), Zach Randolph, Darrell Arthur/DeMarre Carroll (late 1st rounders in '08 and '09).

The blue-chip talent on that team seemed to be their young SG, Mayo, who led all rookies in scoring (18.5) and also put up 3.8rpg and 3.2apg on 44/38/88 splits, which made him the runner-up to Derrick Rose as the ROY. He toed the line between cocky and confident, but at the time, it looked like he was on the right side of the line.

Hollins, a fan of half-court, 2-big basketball, made use of this Randolph/Gasol duo and built the offense around them. The PG was asked to setup the offense, which Conley did, and they had room for one wing scorer -- which Hollins made sure was given to Rudy Gay. Over the next few years, the Grit n' Grind Grizzlies were born. The aforementioned four (Gasol, Randolph, Conley, Gay) as well as defensive stopper Tony Allen were the main cogs in this era.

But what about Mayo? He was regularly admonished by Hollins, and was sent to the bench and saw his FGA/G decline from 16 to 14 to 10 in his first 3 years. After his 4th year, he had gone from one of the league's brightest future stars to an afterthought, a guy who occasionally got hot off the bench with inconsistent touches. Eventually, he had found his way to Milwaukee, where he was later kicked out of the league for substance abuse.

Is Lionel Hollins to blame for OJ Mayo's demise?
    Does he have a vendetta against cocky, good-looking Top-5 pick SGs fresh off their rookie season?
    Did he come to Houston with the sole intent of sabotaging Jalen Green's development?
    Will Hollins take over midseason for Silas and make a move for Kenny Lofton Jr. to try to be Zach Randolph?
    Will Jalen eventually be benched by Hollins and then end up in an obscure midwestern city doing hard drugs?

We shall see.