1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets reach buyout agreement with John Wall

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 27, 2022.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Got a link to these cuts?

Sterling Brown
    Trey Burke
    Marquese Chriss

Fyi - that Hudgins kid was signed to a 2 way.

3. Asian Sensation

This.

We were due to return the favor to somebody since we got some good contributors over the years after they were bought out. Josh Smith and Austin Rivers come to mind. I’m sure I’m missing some other good ones.

4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

tanking doesnt work
    huge expirings dont work
    top picks are frauds
    analytics is dumbalytics
    3s dont fall as often as they could when they should

its just that every day there is less and less things to cling to for an avid nba fan

TheJuice and Drift Monkey like this.
  5. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

To add to that: big players only go to big market teams or teams, that already have a fighting chance for a championship.

But all you said can be true - and can be false. Talent evaluation is a difficult thing and people get it wrong all the time - it's all about maximizing the odds. Picking early means you can take the players, that most people believe will have a good career. Picking late means you pick players, that most people have doubts about. Now in every draft there are several mid to late rounders that surprise people in a positive way and several early first rounders that disappoint people. But overall, if you just compare the first player taken to te 25th player taken in any given draft, the first player taken will be better 98% of the time - and will be better than the 10th player taken 95'% of the time. Now if you compare the first player taken to the players 10-32, the odds change a lot. I guess the first player is still better 65% of the time, but it's a lot closer now. But you don't know before, which of the 22 possible players are actually better - and most of these players will be way worse. So if you compare single picks without confirmation biases, early picks are almost always better. If you compare one early pick with all mid- to late-rounders,you give the second group a little bit of an unfair advantage.

I know, when you look at all the picks experts got wrong, it looks like a crapshoot - but the majority of players actually fall close to the range, that fits their career.

As for huge expirings - they only work if there is a player, that is willing to sign with you, or if another team needs that expiring to sign their player and is ready to give you valuable assets for them. Some times they work, some times they dont. Walls expiring wasn't an asset.

hakeem94, MettaWorldPete and TheJuice like this.
  6. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

All those things have a random element to them. Mathematically tanking is not good, especially with the rule changes. This doesn't mean you can't still beat the odds which clearly we did in the last couple of years. DM showed it is possible to rebuild with decent odds without tanking.

On the odds it's interesting as for example if a person places all their money on a single number on a roulette wheel and loses people say they were a fool and yet if they win a lot of people fail to say they were just lucky.

But hey, FedEx exists today due to a large bet on a single roulette number.

D-rock, hakeem94 and kjayp like this.
  7. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

I think at this point Stone just wants to rid the team of any Lebron clients the less of Klutch sports guys you have on the roster the better.

MystikArkitect and TheJuice like this.
  8. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Just curious.

What is a buyout exactly? I'd assume Wall agrees to take less than his full salary in exchange for release from the team.

How does it impact our cap space? I understand he won't, but technically could he now be on the market for a max contract?

rammo likes this.
  9. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

He really didn't take a paycut he just gave back 6.5m of his contract but he will get that 6.5m back when he signs with the clippers, we paid wall pretty much his full contract to just go away.

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

My understanding is it doesn’t affect our cap situation at all. If someone picked him up off waivers I think that’s the only way to relieve cap space but that won’t happen obviously.

He’s just being cut from the team essentially and the amount of money he’s agreeing to let the Rockets off the hook for is likely exactly what the Clippers will be able to pay him.

Once a player clears waivers you can sign for whatever. Normally with a max player though if they were worth it, rather than sign him to a new contract, they’d just pick him up off of waivers so they retain some bird rights. So there’s really no way he would be bought out, clear waivers, and then sign for the max. The team that did that would be incredibly stupid. They would have traded for him in the first place so the team taking him on would be able to exchange some of their salary for his.

I would say IF John Wall was trying to essentially double dip, he’d probably sign either in the G League or overseas to a contract that allowed him to showcase and have the ability to sign as a free agent afterwards. That’s what you’ve seen guys like Stephon Marbury try and do in the past, and ended up where he was better off staying overseas. So instead looks like Wall’s play is to use the season with the Clippers to showcase on a winning team for next Summer to get one last contract.

#170 dobro1229, Jun 28, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The Rockets now have Green, KPJ, Smith, and Sengun... and all I'm asking for is 8 more wins than an intentional tanking season.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  12. the shark

the shark Member

How does this massive buyout happen? I thought Tilman was cheap?

Verbal Christ and rammo like this.
  13. rammo

rammo Member

Yeah I’m hazy on this too… so Walls buyout of 40.5 mill still counts to our cap, but we get back space (the 6.5 he’s taken off the total)?

So by buying him out we have an additional 6.5 to play with now?

Sorry, I’ve had a few wines. Still celebrating draft day…

14. rammo

rammo Member

Haha yes I was thinking this. Stone must be a helluva negotiation wizard to convince the cheapest owner in the game to part ways with 40 mill for the betterment of the team in 2022/23!

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

No there’s no difference at all in our cap hit. It’s only the actual cash amount Tillman has to pay John Wall directly. The Rockets still have the cap hit of 47,377 of the John Wall contract even though Tillman will technically only pay Wall 41 or whatever.

The only benefit to the Rockets is opening up a roster spot.

rammo likes this.
  16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I get what @Bobbythegreat is saying though.

Eventually it just clicks. I don't think it has to specifically be a year 2 or 3 or whatever, eventually you draft a guy that makes it impossible to tank, basically or the guy you drafted makes a leap and understands what needs to be done to win.

Rockets could very well be in this stage. If Al-P, Green make a leap and Jabari provides a great rookie season it's really not all that unthinkable that the Rockets finish like 10th in the west or something and compete for a play-in spot, especially with good coaching and vets, we'll see whose on the team when the season starts.

But really, Memphis turned it around, Hawks, Cavs, I mean it didn't take these teams long to become competitive. Dallas turned it around literally right after drafting Doncic.

So yes, it's more than fair to raise expectations for this team. I think they did get better defensively just on personnel alone.

Don't baby these rookies and young players. They are NBA players too and are very capable of winning games, if we're in year 3-4 of this still drafting top 5 (unless it's just luck of the lotto with our own pick or some other team's pick) then we are drafting the wrong players.

That's kind of how it works. I said all year long that Wood basically played so bad that he put the team in position to draft his replacement and that's exactly what happened. So if the team keeps playing terrible the young guys we're excited about will force the team to draft their replacements.

So yeah, I expect the Rockets to be competitive this year in the sense that they will be shooting for that 10th play in spot, that's winning 30 games or so, 10 more games than last year abouts, but that should be their realistic target.

joshuaao, randerson, DaDakota and 2 others like this.
  17. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Could they not find some bad contracts come Feb Trade Deadline? I mean not one team? lol oh well better eat this now and get this over with. I wonder if they can payout over years? Does this free up cap now??

@BimaThug Do you know anything as far as cap space, and how much they will pay out in years?

18. rammo

rammo Member

Give whoever takes that spot the #47 jersey as a constant reminder of Tillman’s generosity…

19. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

My thoughts:
    1.) Pay Wall to sit or Pay Wall to go…
    2.) Public Relation investment around the league…
    3.) $6.5 Million savings helps his pocketbook…

Clyde Drexler:
    John Wall was a true professional! Wall taking Money from the Rockets “Was like clubbing baby seals”..:confused:

Go Rockets!!!
    …….
    …….
    …….

#179 BamBam, Jun 28, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
    Killatron 2000 and kjayp like this.
  20. ISO

ISO Member

With the buyout and the wood trade how much money do we have to spend in free agency?