1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade, eliminating constitutional right to abortion

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Reeko, Jun 24, 2022.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

WOW!

I had no idea there was so much abortion in the bible it's crazy that more people are not bringing this up, it seems that the religious freedom argument has real merit but we all know how hypocritical Republicans can be.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The left should have CODIFIED Roe V Wade - but you can't fundraise off of the threat that the right might overturn it if was law.

50 years - plenty of opportunity to codify it.

DD

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So what has to happen by the Sherriff so that the District Attorney can prosecute?

4. Xopher

Xopher Member

I can show you in the Bible where abortion is permitted and even done by clergy.

Numbers 5 11-31

5. Anticope

Anticope Member

I think there is an element of this as well as an element of handing down a decision like this with a significant curtailing of rights in order to gauge the reaction of the populace from doing so. If the outrage drowns out before too long and there isn’t a significant impact on the the outcome of the upcoming election from it, then that signals to Republicans and their Supreme Court that further curtailing of rights is plausible with only minimal consequences.

Nook, Andre0087, dobro1229 and 3 others like this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This I agree with and I hope AOC leads on this, it's far better than just being pissed off and pointing the finger.

As for the bolded part, I hope you are saying it took more than one voting cycle for Republicans to do what they did and tell them it's about a long-range plan.

Republicans have been planning this since the 60's and even then it can be blunted by one election cycle if people actually care.

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Now you want to explain what happened to the Republican court that voted 7-2 for Roe in the 1st place?

dobro1229 likes this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Dude?

Why are so incredibly thin-skinned?

how can somebody troll as much as you do and then be such a snowflake when somebody pushes back or calls you out.

It's freakin amazing how much of a snowflake you are.

DaDakota likes this.
  9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

@basso

in case you missed my reply with a ton of passages. Curious what your reapply to this would be since it’s pretty clear the Bible is cool with it.

10. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Nothing. The Sheriff's department can make arrests, and they can send reports to the District Attorney's office. Generally they run the jail as well which can come into play on the back end of the prosecution. Other investigating agencies frequently do the same things as the Sheriff's Department in different jurisdictions, such as the San Antonio Police Department. Most DA's offices also have their own internal investigation agency.
    So you want to have mandatory abortions in cases of infidelity, seemingly with significant deleterious effects on the cheating woman? Somehow it will also spare the child if the woman wasn't adulterous and her husband was simply mistaken. Seems like a practice far out of touch with modern American values.

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Using scripture for laws being a dumb idea is his point...

12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Do y forget greedy rich people who don't pay taxes

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He saw your reply which is why you most likely won't see him comment on that again.

14. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

People already had the choice to not get abortions. That was always a choice. Thomas now made it okay for governments to prevent the right for people to choose. He played a part in taking away the protected right and freedom.

Andre0087, dobro1229 and JayGoogle like this.
  15. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

It was already restricted in all 50 states

Commodore likes this.
  16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I'm perfectly happy with politicians not inserting themselves into the medical decisions made between a doctor and a patient.

Nook, REEKO_HTOWN, Andre0087 and 3 others like this.
  17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Up until about 15 years ago there were still many anti abortion Democrats and even now there still are a few. Even with a supermajority, that democrats have held for only a very short amount of time not all of the caucus would’ve supported codifying Roe.

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes I made just that exact point.

to be blunt though without winning majorities consistently at all levels of government including state houses not much is going to change. Calling for things like packing the court won’t happen unless Democrats can win solid majorities and sustain them.

FranchiseBlade and jiggyfly like this.
  20. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I replied earlier in the thread.