1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-29] TyTy Washington Jr., PG, Kentucky

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of TyTy Washington?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

94.8%
  2. NO

5.2%
  1. Croatian Sensation

Croatian Sensation I'd rather be a forest than a street

I prefer Chandler to TyTy and I was hoping Rockets would pick him at 26, but I can understand why trading down to 29 and still having TyTy there is too good to pass up. He is a safer prospect than Chandler due to his size and it's easier to envision his path to being an effective NBA player on both sides of the court. But darn I really like and believe in Kennedy Chandler.

Also fully support Stone picking a point guard with this pick, rather than another wing player. Wall is gone, KPJ isn't a pure point guard, and Nix hasn't proven anything so far. TyTy gives the Rockets a player with a slightly different skillset compared to the rest of the roster, and hopefully he can at least develop into an effective backup.

2. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

Stone had a weird response to a TyTy Washington Question...

4:45

3. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

Stone had a weird response to a TyTy Washington Question...

4:45

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Im happy for you! Feels good when your preferred guy finds his way onto the team. Im excited too. I think he will be a very good role player for Jalen Green.

5. VoR

VoR Member

“but exactly how important is that when you have Green and Sengun in the starting lineup?“

Bro, neither are PGs.

6. MystikArkitect

Probably the draft prospect I'm most excited about. Glad Stone and Co are handling the KPJ situation with care and not just blindly trusting him with the PG spot. Depending on how TyTy plays he should absolutely get some run with the second unit.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't think trade was official at time of recording and he's not permitted to talk about other teams players.

Drift Monkey and BigM like this.
  8. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

yea i found that interesting too...maybe they drafted him to trade him potentially?

9. rlivz

rlivz Contributing Member

the trade hasn't gone through yet so he can't discuss other teams' players

Drift Monkey and ThatBoyNick like this.
  10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

The Wood trade wasn’t official yet

Drift Monkey and jcmoon like this.
  11. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

ooooooh good catch

12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Right. You don’t need a traditional pg. The ball will run through Sengun, Green and KPJ. But TyTy could offer help in a backup role.

KingSamJack likes this.
  13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

#193 zeeshan2, Jun 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
    Drift Monkey likes this.
  14. xaos

xaos Member

Yup last year wanted Green and this year wanted Smith. Green will still be the leading scorer on offence of course, but I think Smith's contribution will be more than just role player. He'll also open up opportunities for players to be more of themselves. Floor spacing from a big is valuable.. floor spacing from a big who plays great modern-day defense is valuable and rare. I don't think he'll be role player to Jalen, but I also don't see a player like Klay just a role-player to Steph (not comparing Jalen/Smith duo to Steph/Klay). We're still a significant piece away from calling our "core" ready but that's how rebuilds work.

By core I mean top 3 players

15. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

Sengun

AroundTheWorld and Drift Monkey like this.
  16. xaos

xaos Member

Sure, I feel comfortable saying Sengun is a top 3 player on our team, but am not ready to commit to him as a core piece yet. I have faith in him, just not over the top faith like other posters here which is fine.

Drafting Smith actually benefitted Sengun the most though so I'm excited to see him operate next to Smith

jiggyfly and HTownTmac1 like this.
  17. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

I am soooo excited about this core too !! The future is so bright

jcmoon and xaos like this.
  18. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

Loved this pick. Didn't even hate him at 17 even though I wanted a wing more (and got the wing I wanted). Even better that we got two free seconds out of it. When you look at the Christian Wood trade as Wood for Tyty + 2 seconds it feels like a steal to me.

I had a thought for a while that we should sign a vet PG, but now I'm more than happy to let Nix and Tyty compete out for that back-up PG spot, and the other can get run in the G-league. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the two is starting in a year or two at PG here, I think KPJ's best role would be 6th man leading the second unit anyway (if he accepted that)

jcmoon and lionaire like this.
  19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You sure you're thinking of the right guy? TyTy is listed at 12% which is slightly higher than what Daishen's was at the combine last year.